Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Resolution problem...

0 0

My Box that has ubuntu on it randomly decided to make everything HUGE and not fit on the screen… I just figured something went wrong with my GUI when i installed something or switched monitors or something and over-looked it. I decided it was past time to move up from ubuntu anyway and tested knoppix out on my newer box. Everything booted fine and what i saw of knoppix i liked. Sooo i went to install knoppix over ubuntu… same problem… Everything is as big as it can get my resolution is extremly low. I tried to change it but it only gave the one option. But when i looked at it on my newer box i saw many options for resolution…. This is frustrating me… I figured it must be some sort of restriction due to hardware… since its the same problem on both distros. But the only hardware i changed was the monitor, so i changed it back… no diffrence Im pretty confused right now. I googled and found a few ppl with the same prob but no answer:angry:

0 0

Might be a graphics driver issue. Try updating to the latest version for your card and see if that fixes it.

Banned
0 0

Its probably a XORG problem,try reconfiguring it.

0 0

the card was working fine with ubuntu for like half a year. Researcching xorg reconfiguring…

0 0

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg asks a shitload of questions idk the answer to and leaves res the same…

Banned
0 0

OK,now if u cant find the resolution u want type on google Ubuntu(or knopix,whatever) 1024-768(for example)resolution LoL so Ubuntu 1024-768 resolution u will find a tutorial how to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

0 0

already tried that. It wont change the resolution it gives me some error code and a blue screen. i've also tried randr right now im giving it a fresh installation.

0 0

ctr+alt++ or ctr+alt+-?

bbl

0 0

basically the same thing happened to me, but on windows. Idk how to do it on ubuntu or knoppix, but i just reinstalled my graphics driver from device manager.

Banned
0 0

Ubuntu restricted drivers,if not,then im blank….sry

0 0

driver reinstalled. no progress. xorg reconfigured. no progress.

it says You passed an undefined mode number…

right now im downloading Fedora core 7 to see if that has the same problem Also a more recent iso for knoppix just for the hell of it.

0 0

sorry 'bout my useless post, so basically your screen is displayed too large for it to all be on your monitor?

I'm a little new to Linux, I use DSL and Xubuntu, and that happened to me once. It was fixed after I reconfigured Xorg though. If drivers and xorg reconfig didn't do it I don't know what will, but see if FC6 does it too. If so, it may be a hardware problem, but you said it's worked in the past… hmm… Good luck with it man, if I hear anything about this I'll let you know pronto

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

Copy and paste your xorg.conf file either here or PM me with it and I'll see if I can help.

Admin from hell
0 0

Try this might work: sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg Then look at screen resolutions and select the one you want. It should appear in your dropdownlist Restart X-server and it should work fine.

Or try gconf-editor But that's balls sometimes.

<PS:I love XP, But I use Linux also>

0 0

i love XP too I use linux cuz next summer that will be my job… right now im booting redhat to see if it has the same prob (it seems to be frozen…) so as soon as im done doing that i'll reconfigure xorg. but last time i did it it didnt ask for a resolution it just asked a bunch of random questions about my monitor video card and keyboard…

0 0

Have you thought about monitor drivers? i know they can restrit the resoloution in windows to those that are only displayable on the monitor, im not sure how this kind of stuff works on Ubuntu or Knoppix, but on windows i would uninstall and reinstall all display related drivers.