Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

help with GRUB

0 1

I dual-boot between Windows Vista Basic and Ubuntu 7.04. the problem happened when i tried to resize my vista partition to make way for another OS, which i took only an additional 2gigs to an unused partition.

Yesterday, i tried to boot my laptop up, but GRUB displayed an Error 22. Using the Ubuntu live CD, i managed to get GRUB working(where it displayed the list of available OSs, in this case Ubuntu and Vista.) I managed to boot to Vista on the screen, but Ubuntu displaed an error 22:partiton not found.

So, I decided to edit GRUB where it showed the assumed partition, which is (hd0,2), so i edited it to (hd0,1) where i knew where my ubuntu partition is, and it booted Ubuntu properly.

But the main problem is that each time I wanted to use Ubuntu while booting, I have to go to the edit screen and change (hd0,2) back to (hd0,1) and boot from there. It is quite inconvinient, and is there a way for me to make my changes permanent?

0 0

Can't you just boot from Linux's CD and Repair Boot?

Python Ninja
0 0

what did you use to resize the partition… give us info so we can help you….

(on a side note… fuck ubuntu off for a joke)

0 1

i somehow managed to solve the problem myself.

i simply changed to root, cd /boot/grub, chmod 777 menu.lst, opened gedit and changed the ubuntu boot settings from (hd0,2) to (hd0,1), saved it, rebooted and every thing's back to normal.

thanks for checking it out anyway.

(btw:- richo, i'm not that leet compared to you, so that's why i used ubuntu)

0 0

richohealey wrote: what did you use to resize the partition… give us info so we can help you….

(on a side note… fuck ubuntu off for a joke)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ubuntu. Purists kill open source. I mean, really. No one is going to invest in an OS unless it has a decent front end and a user can use it without having to open a shell and screw around. And yes, installing a free operating system is an investment for everyone who has a real job – or any company that actually turns a profit.

Look, it's nice to be able to boot up and connect to a wireless network without having to write and run a shell script.

It's one thing to not be able to operate without a GUI. It's a completely separate thing to believe that having a good GUI with tools that "just work" somehow makes an OS less 'leet' – whatever that's supposed to mean. furthermore, Ubuntu is a better distro than many others even from the command line.

In conclusion, some of use have lives and need to make a few dozen K a year just to keep food on our plates and a roof over our heads. And although we make a living knowing what goes on behind that GUI, we wouldn't be able to cash in on our knowledge if we did our word processing in vi, wrote our code in hex and laughed at the prospect of a good distro with good support, a good gui and great easy-to-use administration tools.

0 0

well said death. there's plenty of places (ie., downloading packages) where you can use a terminal OR gui…usually I use the terminal just for kicks but the gui is there for people who need it.