Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Wireless + Linux = ?

0 0

What is the current state of linux's compatibility with wireless cards?

Is it distro specific?

I'm going to set up a dual boot with XP on an old computer of mine once I get a wireless card to stick in there, and I'd like to know if it'd work alright. I've read a lot of nightmare stories about incompatible drivers and all sorts of hoopla, so I'd like to know if it's even worth it or if I should just stick to a direct connection.

0 0

im using wireless on ubuntu right now. all i had to do was install ndiswrapper and it worked right away.

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

Most of the wireless cards available will work with linux using Ndiswrapper, especially if you are using the 2.6.x kernel with ieee80211 compatability configured into the kernel build. Most latest distros now support this kernel as it's native install.

0 0

I've heard the newest ubuntu has really good wireless support. I'm using an older version (6.06) and my wireless card works natively with it, no ndiswrapper required.

0 0

i used mandriva spring 2007…. and it was easy. just follow the instructions for the ndiswrappers. :)

Banned
0 0

I use ubuntu and i just typed in IP addresses AP ESSID and it works fine,no need for drivers.(my card is Gigabyte)

0 0

on feisty, all i needed to do was make turn my laptop's wireless was turned on then just selected the network and bam, done.

0 0

Alright, thanks for the clarification.

0 0

A few notes on Wireless cards in Linux:

1. Many card sets are supported natively in Linux, although right now the percentage is not all that great.
  2. Ndiswrapper works… sometimes. For me, it wasn't an option. The wireless card in my laptop was such a bitch to set up (10 page manuals, custom shell scripts, etc.) that I eventually just bought a cheap Dynex card. they are cheap, better than my internal one, and they are Atheros based, so they are supported no problem.
  3. if you're buying a laptop, buy one of Dell's ubuntu ones. Otherwise, you will most likely be in for a rough ride.