Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Free Shells ?

0 0

Anyone know where I can get a free shell where I can instant sign up? I really know nothing about this kind of stuff and I decided I want to learn. If this is a stupid thing I'm dong then let me know hehe… I mainly want to use the shell for either Web Hosting or IRC or something :]

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

connect to freeshell.org or sdf.lonestar.org (they are the same)

0 0

Thanks man. It seems to be like the only working one I've found so far :]

Thanks a lot :)

Does anyone have any tips or anything for doing using shells?

I know this seems noobish but I decided I may as well ask :)

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

you should start by deciding what do you want a shell for.

i never got that "get a shell account to learn how to hack" lol

if it's to learn linux or unix commands there are better alternatives.

get vmware and start installing new os's, or a live cd

0 0

Yeah… I've got a few linuxes… I just wanted to learn about having a shell server thing and everything… and see what it can be used for…

Stuff like that anyway…

Now I'm just wondering what I can actually use it for haha…

0 0

you can use your shell (but not freeshell etc.) for your irc bot, if you have one, or you can use it to connecting directly to irc without client, there are many things… :)

0 0

Nice. Umm so yeah… I looked around on the sdf.lonestar.org.. and the thing that looks interesting to me is Gopher… The only problem is, I have no idea what it really is or anything… I've googled it a little and looked on wiki but I haven't really figured ot what it actually is.

So yeah, any info or advice or stuff of that sort?

:)

Thanks, Reaper

0 0

i have been following this thread, and came to the same question as you reaper4334, But I learned from wiki that it is "an improved form of Anonymous FTP, with features similar to that of the World Wide Web." (wiki)

anyways, more info can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)

0 0

sakarin wrote: you should start by deciding what do you want a shell for.

shells are useful because they force you not to use a GUI, and learn by reading the man pages.

rootshell.be is my choice.

0 0

lesserlightsofheaven wrote: [quote]sakarin wrote: you should start by deciding what do you want a shell for.

shells are useful because they force you not to use a GUI, and learn by reading the man pages.

rootshell.be is my choice.[/quote]

…more like, they are useful because you don't have to load the entire linux kernel into your ram every time you want to open a linux command line and play around for 10 minutes.

0 0

deathrape wrote: …more like, they are useful because you don't have to load the entire linux kernel into your ram every time you want to open a linux command line and play around for 10 minutes.

also true. if you have a fast connection, a shell account will run FAR faster then Vmware or a live cd.