Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Windows xp/linux dual boot

0 0

I already have windows xp professional service pack 2 x64 loaded on my desktop which only has one hard drive. How would I dual boot a linux distro on it?

Python Ninja
0 0

well, are you planning on getting a second hd?

i'd advise it

but if not acquire a copy of partition magic (legally!) and partition for drive dynamically.

get back to me when you've done htat

0 0

ubuntu comes with a partitioner that allows you to [graphically] set up partitions with sizes that appeal to you

Python Ninja
0 0

diskdruid i believe… but does it allow you to divide existing partitions and leave data unaffected???

particion magic does.

0 0

I'd suggest using a second hard drive with linux on it, but most distrobutions, such as Kubuntu and Ubuntu, has a partition manager that it sets up for you and auto detects your current OS installations. Of course you can configure it later to add/delete more :p. If you're just starting out with linux I'd really suggest either Ubuntu or Kubuntu, check them out and see which you prefer…or..choose another.

0 0

Ok I have partition magic 8.05 and have 160 gb hard drive and want 60 to go to ubuntu.

Python Ninja
0 0

ok , defrag and partition.

but don't use ubuntu… it's shit imo…. get mandriva.. it's still a pice of piss to set up for basic use

0 0

I HATE mandriva, ubuntu is a very good distribution o.0. Easy to use, install is easy, great compatibility and ever growing.

0 0

ill check out mandriva aswell and is backtrack any good, I heard it is good at testing security. also is every linux distro open source.

0 0

Mostly all linux distro's are free, the only ones I know offhand that you have to pay for is redhat and I believe you have to pay for better versions of Mandriva as well. Backtrack2 is good for pen testing and stuff yes, requires a little more linux knowledge to install though. Based off of slackware I want to say.

0 0

umm i would advise getting partician magic it worked like a charm on mine…i made the linux partition then the temp swap partition then i just resized the windows partition….works great man…..peace…oh i have a copy of Partician magic if you want…..peace

Python Ninja
0 0

ok, ubuntu is severely limited.

Mandriva is fantastic IMO, but it's up to you, if you want red hat Google Fedora Core, which is excellent, powerful, but a little temperamental at time.

ubuntu will not let you learn much, and is taxing on rsources

0 0

Iono but when i was installing Linux Fedora 6 on another drive (D:) it asked me if there is another system… My Windows XP was on drive (C:) so, ive specified it… And all what you need with Partition Magic is to make a space for a new drive and a SWAP one, etc…

dude, there is many tutorials and walkthroughs in installing Linux system with Windows XP: http://www.geocities.com/epark/linux/grub-w2k-HOWTO.html

if linux first installed: http://apcmag.com/5459/dualboot_ubuntu_and_windows_xp

…and btw, it will boot normally like 2 windows systems like (boot.ini) it's simple…:)

0 0

Does it really matter which one he first installs? I bet you he will install a different distribution the next week he installs his first one. I personally think it is good to explorer and use different distros to see what you like the best. + you will appreciate lil things that each distro did. Make sure you experience both KDE + Gnome and if you have a hard time partitioning it, just google it. You'll find your answer in 30seconds.

0 0

Youre damn straight Damnation! I'm with you… He must know diffs between the distros, etc…

if you have a hard time partitioning it, just google it. You'll find your answer in 30seconds. Yes, sure, cuz linux/unix/bsd support is going wider and wider..

0 0

Mandriva is a good OS, but I always had problems with it and my graphics card. Ubuntu on that other hand is recommended for new users to linux, most hardware works with it from the start…