Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

BSD Vs. Linux, the showdown

0 0

what are the main differences between linux and BSD? what are the advantages and dissadvantages of each?(relative to each other, dont start talking about macs…)

are there any bsd users here who wanna share their experiences?

i havent had any exposure to BSD and have no experience with it, but i'd like to learn more about it…/see if its worth getting

i am familiar with windows, macs and ubuntu and fedora…

also please dont make this too distro specific but keep it more general otherwise it'll be pointless.

0 0

Hey, been a long time since I have posted here but here goes…

In simple terms BSD based operating systems tend to be aimed at server markets being focused on security and reliability whereas Linux is a more general purpose/flexible.

There are a lot of similarities between BSD and Linux, they are after all both UNIX-like operating systems, so if you feel confident using one learning the other shouldn't involve too steep a learning curve. (Indeed, while the kernels are different a great many of the other components that make the OS are the same so software that works on linux can usually be recompiled to work with BSD or vice versa)

I suppose the key difference between them could be regarded as philosophy. While Both BSD and Linux are open source and are essentially a collection of components (often made by various different groups) the teams that make BSD OS's keep a much tighter control over what goes in and what is left out (often going so far as to rewrite large sections of code to ensure it fits in) to as to focus on security and reliability (at the expense of flexibility, ease of use and the latest and greatest…which is where linux comes in.)

Python Ninja
0 0

I use linux on my desktop and lappy, and on my server i run freeBSD.

Wouldn't have it any other way.