Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Mandriva Linux 2007 desktop env. problem

0 0

Alright, before I get started, I'm just gonna say that I have some experience with Linux, and commands and such, so yea.

Ok, I recently installed Mandriva Linux 2007, and everything went all peachy, but whenever I run startx it'll come up with Gnome (That's what I chose), and then after loading for about two seconds it just shuts down and goes back to command line. I can choose to use other Desktop Environments, like KDE (really dont' want to), and it did the same thing with that. I'll keep experimenting, but if anyone has a solution, please post it. Thanks in advance :P.

0 0

Are you sure your computer is good enough for it… seems like something it might do when it runs out of RAM or crashes

0 0

Hmm, true. It's a REALLY old computer. That's probably what it was, thanks for the tip. I'm attempting something else that runs up less RAM. But it's weird cause I've gotten it to work with other stuff like Mepis, DVL, DSL, Slax, Xubuntu, zenwalk. Hermm, but yea, gonna try something else now, thanks for your help.

Python Ninja
0 0

i would suggest red hat. it's awesome!

0 0

I've heard it's pretty good. That and SUSE. I'm attempting suse right now, if that doesn't work out, I'm gonna go for Red Hat. I heard they started charging now though, :-\.

Python Ninja
0 0

if it's for an old machine you don't want the new one! i use red hat 6 and i find it's awesome for older machines

0 0

Alright, cool. Thanks for the tip.

0 0

there is something about suse that I hate, but anyway yeah get Redhat if it is an old PC. simplyMEPIS is good too.

Python Ninja
0 0

suse is awfully mac….