Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Live CD question

0 0

last xmas i was at my uncles house and he was introducing me to linux and c++. When i was leaving he gave me a Ubuntu CD. and because i drag it everywhere and mess with it alot i copied all the cd contents to my computer, incase the CD were to ever get scratched i could simply write another. I went to make a copy for a friend today… im using Nero, how do i go about doing this? *keep in mind i've never made on b4 in my life. I just hit "data cd" option and selected the Ubuntu folder… It wont boot from the disk tho… Does it need to be some special kind of burn? or is there a file i missed or what? it just asks what way i want to start windows…

0 0

dont do that, just download the iso off the ubuntu site and then burn that on a cd. if that doesnt work, just order a new cd from them. its free, just order a bunch so you can give them out.

0 0

everytime i go to any site to download any type of linux it always asks how i want to download and i select something that would work for me… then it takes me to a list of stuff thats like 40 items long and idk what they are how to use them or if i need one or all or which… Edit: i think i found it… all i need on the disk is the ISO? 2nd Edit:… i spoke to soon… the iso will only take 4 hours to download… IM 2 % there!!!!

0 0

i can install ubuntu from a live cd right? using like partition magic and ____________ to manage the dual boot. can i do the same thing with fedora? i was looking at fedora isos and they're like 3 gigs… doesnt look like live cd material to me. how do u install it?

0 0

To make a live CD you have to arrange the programs in a specific pattern to boot with, or use like 6 CD's and get the full linux install. What you are doing is just copying the iso file to a CD. You need to look for something on Nero that says something like Burn Image Onto CD or something of that nature. The iso file contains info of where to put the stuff. If you need anymore help or I accidently said something wrong here, just PM me. I am in a hurry so I can't review this post.

0 0

well i assume that you already have the .iso for ubuntu, correct? if so then just download alcohol 120% which allows you to easily create iso's onto dvd's / cd's. just google alchohol 120, and you will find it. pretty sure they have a free trial, if not then torrent it at torrentspy.com or isohunt.com. The 40 files part that you were talking about, is how they split it up so that people can torrent them easier, since most distro's don't have enough bandwidth to be allowing direct downloads therefore; they ask people to seed them so that people can torrent them.

0 0

Hey bud,

This is the ubuntu homepage, I suggest downloading the latest version …

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

Once you download that, it will be saved to your computer as a .iso image. To open this youre going to need a program such as UltraISO … This is free, just search for it at www.download.com or something.

Now, once you download the ubuntu image, and installed UltraISO, you are going to want to open UltraISO and then load the ubuntu image through that. I believe you can simply do "File / open" and browse for it. Once you found it and have it opened in UltraISO, go to the "Tools" tab and go down to "Burn cd/dvd image" … Follow those on screen instructions and you'll have your live ubuntu CD.

Now with your dual boot question…

Partition magic is a good program indeed, but ubuntu linux live CD comes with its own partitioner called "Gparted"

Here is an awesome step by step walkthrough as to how to dual boot your system with ubuntu / windows.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?threadid=16353

Good luck!

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

Just a heads up…if you're learning C/C++ and you're going to be using Ubuntu. Make sure you

apt-get build-essentials```

Ubuntu doesn't come with gcc/g++, gjc, etc...you have to install it after the fact.