Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Partition for Ubuntu / Windows 2000

0 0

Hey all, I have read a few of the threads on here about dual booting windows and Linux, but I am still not 100% sure as to how to go about doing this.

This is what I have so far…

For windows, you simply install the operating system onto your harddrive, got it. Now, I have partition magic and I plan on partitioning my harddrive using this. I have been reading around and I noticed you need, and i quote "at the cheapest two partitions". Giving me a total of 3 partitions…

I have a 120 gig harddrive with 1 gig of ram. I read all over the place about this "linux swap" and its a good idea to have it be atleast twice the size of your RAM.

How does this partition setup sound?

1st - Windows 2000 (90 Gigs) 2nd - Ubuntu Linux (28 Gigs) 3rd - Linux "Swap" (2 Gigs)

I read somewhere else that you don't need much room for ubuntu linux, just enough for the kernell image? That is mainly what threw me off.

So to sum it up, the above partitions are what I plan on making, then I plan on installing my ubuntu distro on the 2nd partition, and doing nothing but creating the linux swap partition.

Thank you very much in advance! sorry for the lengthy thread :).

P.S - Sorry for double post!

0 0

that's not a bad idea… especially since windows program files occupy so much freakin' space on HDD.

I read somewhere else that you don't need much room for ubuntu linux, just enough for the kernell image? That is mainly what threw me off.

Don't let that boggle you down. Although, somewhat true, you'll also need some room for future applications that come with ubuntu, or that you will want to install. But a bare minimum will also do.

By the way, i recommend letting GRUB be your default boot manager on the MBR. Don't let windows be the boss on the MBR, or else it'll let ubuntu warm the bench… which I'm sure is NOT what you want.

Oh, make sure you back up your files t00, before learning a lesson if you somehow format your windows partition (accidentally).

0 0

Oh, make sure you back up your files t00, before learning a lesson if you somehow format your windows partition (accidentally).

haha, i can't count the amount of times I somehow managed to mess up my computer and have to reformat. Luckily, i recently just reformatted so I don't have much on it, a huge reason I decided to try and install ubuntu.

Now, what exactly do you mean with the GRUB and the MBR? How do I set LINUX to be the main grub and not let windows be the boss?

and the setup I stated above sounds sufficient?

partitions: 1st - windows (90 gigs) 2nd - ubuntu (28 gigs) 3rd - linux swap(2 gigs)

^ let me know if i should change them, I do plan on using ubuntu and downloading different apps and what not for it. I'd assume I wont download nearly close to 28 gigs, thats a lot to fill up when you're a nooby linux user eh?

Thanks for the quick response, more would be much appreciated!

0 0

if you install windows and then later install linux, linux will setup a dual boot using grub with windows/linux… so when you boot your computer, Grub will be the interface to allow you to either boot with windows or linux