Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

duel boot Linux and XP

0 0

I've got a home build w/ two 70 gig raptors in raid 0 and i was wondering what distro of Linux i should use. I've used a handfull of live boot cd's before, but i want something permanent now. I need something w/ good driver support too. I can give more info on my machine if you need it. Thanks for the help.

0 0

Debian

0 0

slackware or pclinuxos, goods for drivers and for beginners.

0 0

Anything Debian-based, such as Knoppix. (Live CD -> HDD Install)

Also, I've (keyword being heard) heard that Red Hat has decent support for drivers, too.

0 0

Try Fedora Then Move On To Slackware

0 0

i wouldnt advise starting with slackware, id advise ubuntu or suse tbh

0 0

skarecrow wrote: Debian This guy is the expert on the subject.

The Manager
0 0

If the system is not "State of the art" go with Debian. Otherwise you should look into either SuSE or Fedora.

Debian is a bold and stable system but is not always the MOST up to date drivers wise in the world of computers. They think (rightly so) that stability is more important than being state of the art.

0 0

i'm not worried about what my computer can handle. The only thing that i'm falling behind on (which will be upgraded) is my processor (duel core running 2.21Ghz). I've got 2 gigs of ram, two hdd's running at 10,000 rpm's, one 512 video card, some $180 sound card… Hence the driver support…

0 0

aham…why did my post got deleted?

The Manager
0 0

RedCell wrote: i'm not worried about what my computer can handle. The only thing that i'm falling behind on (which will be upgraded) is my processor (duel core running 2.21Ghz). I've got 2 gigs of ram, two hdd's running at 10,000 rpm's, one 512 video card, some $180 sound card… Hence the driver support…

If this statement was directed at me then you are not to install Debian because from what I see there you will need to have "State of the Art" functionallity. I would go with Fedora or SuSE for they are good with keeping up to date (though they are not always the most stable…)

So Debian is not your beast.

0 0

I'd try ordering an Ubuntu live CD if its your first distro, although if you're looking to pen test or write/use exploits, i'd go with Back | Track.

Ubuntu will have pretty up to date drivers too…

0 0

Thanks for the help. I have Fedora, installing this weekend.

0 0

Now you might have already installed another distro im a bi late to this post lol. but you should try OPENsuse 10.2 its nice eye candy and i have a machine similar to yours except a lot more HD. Its got decent driver support and one of the most recent kernels. plus lots of packages you need to wardrive and webhack (even though i gave up webhacking a while ago for rooting)