Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Best OS for a server?

0 0

My friend and I were thinking of starting a business where we'd sell wifi to people in our city. We already have most of the supplies already, but we're not sure what OS we should use for the server? Right now I'm planning on using Debian Linux. Any other suggestions?

0 0

FreeBSD, OpenBSD, or Slack would be good.

0 0

how will you provide WiFI to people in your city? It'd be great if you wrote a small articles summarizing the process. It sounds like you have your mini ISP. K00l, dude!

I'd suggest Mandriva or Fedora Core 6 (almost to be 7).

0 0

Go for RedHat or FreeBSD as they are the ones that are most used on servers. (oh and by the way, I used FC2 once and I gotta say that its shit; imho FC is a stripped version of RedHat)

0 0

if you dont want the hassle of getting those just stick with the Linux. its good enough.:happy:

0 0

hack4u wrote: if you dont want the hassle of getting those just stick with the Linux. its good enough.:happy: What you talking about man?? Hes asking for a distro not OS type :P

0 0

JohnDoe wrote: Go for RedHat or FreeBSD as they are the ones that are most used on servers. (oh and by the way, I used FC2 once and I gotta say that its shit; imho FC is a stripped version of RedHat)

probably cuz fedora is sponsored by RedHat :) http://fedora.redhat.com/

anyway, my opinion is slack or RH, i say slack cuz i use it, and RH cuz i`ve seen a lot servers operating on RH so i guess it could be nice for that stuff..

0 0

I think I'm gonna go with FreeBSD, thanks for all the help guys!

netfish wrote: It'd be great if you wrote a small articles summarizing the process. It sounds like you have your mini ISP. K00l, dude! Thanks! I'll write something as soon as I get it set up!

Python Ninja
0 0

red hat for sure. shit hot flavor

0 0

I agree with Only

Slackware or Red Hat