Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Linux Help

0 0

Alright, so I got this little, itty bitty junker of a computer(6 gigs, w00t for me) so i'm thinking i'll use it for practice, and maybe a shell, but its got Windows 2000 or whatever on it, which looks/is crap for me. So I decided on Linux….I just don't know which to choose. Right now I have it running with SuSe(borrowed it from a friend). Anything better, or is SuSe good enough?

0 0

Yes, for example Suse or Ubuntu work good for beginners. If you want you can advance when you've learned the basics, and switch to another distro ;)

0 0

SUSE would be great..

0 0

Its not a very well known Distro but a few might have heard of it. Its called PClinuxOs im running it on a ASUS L1400 with 1 Ghz processor 128 MB of ram and a 20 gig HDD and it runs pretty smoothly. Its easy as to install and is stronlgy based on madriva so its a pretty good distro

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

I've got a similar laptop (as far as specs go Compaq 1600s Presario) and I've got FreeBSD 6.2 up and running on it like a champ. Other distro's I have had on this laptop include Slackware 10.2, RedHat9, and Debian 2.2. The only issues I've had is when trying to load a heavier GUI frontend like Gnome or KDE, so Fluxbox is my window manager and it runs great.

0 0

u could try xubuntu, its based on ubuntu.It uses x desktop manager and its designed for low spec comuters. Check it out - www.xubuntu.org