Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Fedora or Ubuntu

0 0

im about to get linux and im not sure wether to get fedora or ubuntu or kubuntu or maybe something else…

please tell me which one you think is better and WHY

0 0

i dont have much exp with the other systems but iv always used Ubuntu. Very user friendly and for a first time linux user thats just what you need. Helps you get to grips with the concepts of linux before moring on to something more challenging

0 0

thank you. also, how do make a partition? do you NEED to download a special program or theres a way to do it without a program?

0 1

download Partition Magic.

one of the many programs that will do it for you.

0 0

Mimermonk made a good suggestion.. Ubuntu is ideal for beginners.. but I urge you not to stay hooked to it for long. Move on, after learning the basics.

If you'd like, you can dive right into Fedora Core 6 (zod).. which is also user friendly to my opinion, and experience with it. It is also so (very) customizable.

Do you only have 1 hard drive? If you have several, then just install it on a whole disk to save yourself some time.

Attack-Vector Perl
0 0

I've used both Fedora and Ubuntu…in my opinion, someone who is looking to get very indepth with Linux in the future should not start out with Ubuntu. Yes, it is a very easy linux distro to use and the package management systems built into is are very impressive…it is very stable (thanks to the Debian core structure). But I have a few qualms with Ubuntu…the main one being that it does not come with the compiler/build system (build-essentials) by default. The other main problem I've had with it is that it is a very bloated distro.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu…the bloated issues are inherint in Fedora as well. But if you are planning to use Linux in the long-run, you need the compile/build system to learn the tarball system.

But what do I know, I use Slackware as my primary distro :P.

Python Ninja
0 0

i'm pretty big in fedora, having learned linux on red hat.

i'm using mandrake right now. i think it's fantastic. so maybe consider that?