Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

freeBSD and netBSD password field

0 0

I have a question that I really hope someone can help me with. I finally got my hands on a copy of freeBSD and netBSD. Now the same thing happens with both of them. I can install it, no problem but when it boots up after installation it asks for a user name and password. I can type in the user name (root) but when I get to the password part I can't enter and text. (I can still press enter). I'm using a standard PS2 keyboard with no fancy features. The login screen is an plain text with no GUI to be found if that helps. When I leave the password blank during installation it still doesn't work, it just keeps prompting me for the password! Does anybody know why this is happening and what can I try to fix/get-around it? :whoa:

If you can only venture a guess then by my guest. I really want to learn this strange OS. :happy:

Python Ninja
0 0

ok, when you put in a password at a terminal on most linux distro's, it doesn't come up with *'s it just accepts the type, as an added security measure, so people don't know how many characters they'd need to bruteforce. as long as you have set passwords and know what they are, it should work.

if i have misunderstood your post, feel free to contact me

0 0

That's a good theory but unfortunately that does not work. I made sure that the password was tipped in correctly and I tried leaving it blank (despite a security warning) and that doesn't work either. Any other suggestions?

0 0

Hmm restarting the computer lol :p

0 0

I restarted it so much that my screen thinks it's a strobe light.

Banned
0 0

bardonicus wrote: I restarted it so much that my screen thinks it's a strobe light.

did you try username:root password: root

usually thats the password when you start.

and, yes, unix/Linux HIDES the pass - this is what it looks like

username: root password: [root@localhost~]#

0 0

nope, not working man. Any other ideas?

Banned
0 0

bardonicus wrote: nope, not working man. Any other ideas?

go to their website, and look through the FAQ?

-BC

0 0

I've never used freeBSD before, but the following command will get you root in Knoppix/DamnSmallLinux:

markupsudo su

You could also try:

markupsudo passwd root and change root's pass to "llama" or something, then log in to root and change it back to what it was.

0 0

Well, I can't do anything if I don't log in. Tell me doesn't netBSD have a GUI?