Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Choosing an OS

0 0

Hello all! I'm new to this site and I am very excited to extend my little knowledge and to, if possible, assist anyone who needs any help with anything elementary; for now. I am a noob atm but I am a fast learner. I know HTML and I'm jsut starting on learning C++. Ok so to my question, I am planning on purchasing a computer for college and I was wondering which OS is the best for learning to and actually hacking, prgramming, and writing website code and anyhting else along those lines. And, do certain OS run better with different kinds of comps? Any Suggestions and thoughts about it would be extremely appreciated. I'd like to hear personal accounts first before I decide on one. Thankyou for your time and I hope this wasnt too noob a question for all you poeple who know so much :)

Epic Furion

0 1

windows XP with SP2

thats all your need. I woudlnt recommend linux if your gonna use it for college work.. it will only cause problems, because the college will use windows, so best to have same operating system.

0 0

microsoft Windows xp sp2 with a 64 bit processor so when LONGHORN or VISTA cames out you will be able to get it well anything else Just Get a DELL oh try buying microsoft virtual pc 2004 so you could on the side use LINUX when using WINDOWS after that well Get a computer with at least 1.90 ghz oh it be a computer just a paper wieght

0 0

well, i would suggest you build your own computer. It will be cheaper. And since its not for gaming i would suggest you get linux. It will be cheaper because its free and your wont be paying the extra money for an OS. Contrary to what people believe, you are accually paying for windows when you buy a pc package. As long as you dont buy really random hardware everything should work fine. I would suggest you get SuSE because it has pretty good hardware support.

If its just for writing essays and browsing then Linux is the way to go; No viruses and its free. But if its for gaming to then obviously go for windows.

0 0

Awesome so Linux sucks for gaming. Thast good to know becasue im an addicted gamer ^^ Thanks for the tips everyone personal experience is always better than reading boring, long, exageratd, reasons why i should buy that certain os or program :) Thanks again

Epic Furion

0 0

Epic Furion wrote: Awesome so Linux sucks for gaming. Epic Furion

That isn't completely true. Linux has the quake series and unreal tournament…. and… well thats it :P. no, i'm joking, there is more: http://www.tuxgames.com/. but as you said, your a gaming addict so go with windows but try linux :P.

0 0

is linux difficult to use? and what is the difference between linux and a program called knoppix. I have absolutely no experience on the "nix" side of computers

0 0

Seriously, since you're about to go to college, you should use the OS that your college recommends. It will make your life a lot easier, trust me on that one. Plus, you can hack using any OS.

0 0

I'd go Windows XP as well.

Linux wouldn't be too appropriate for college. You'd have to get all the other free opensource programs to "mock" the MS ones (like OpenOffice which works as good as Win95 -.-;)

0 0

This is my lt for university

HP NC6120 Windows XP SP2 512 mb RAM 60 gb HDD Dual Drive DVDRW …

0 0

Windows XP definatly, then you can have linux later if you want

0 0

u can do wut Grind said, or u cud get damnsmallinux (DSL) it is a linux emulator for windows and its only 50 MB. they have smaller versions to fit on pen drives, and they have larger versions for hardrive installations to come with many good linux tools.

And if u dont want to duel boot or use DSL just use a Live CD when u really need linux.

DamnSmallLinux can be found at http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

0 0

"And if u dont want to duel boot or use DSL just use a Live CD when u really need linux."

When does one really need linux?

0 0

you should go with windows you can get compilers and because you are starting out with computers, have already begun codeing on a windows box, and linux takes a LOT if getting used to expciley if your not fimler with a comand line. altho it seems to get eazeer every day you will not have to much time to get used to it with collage. windows i think whould be the way to go. and as far as a 64 bit procceser is connsiderd i whouldent go with it expciley for collage (if for a laptop, desktop goahead) a 64bit laptop will cost you more, not give you more perfomince on a 32 bit OS (altho you can get 64bit on windows and linux so if you do make SHURE THAT ITS 64BIT eddition or its a waste) and my frind recentley baought a 64 bit laptop and has a 2 houer battery life (but its also a hiperformence box) but do what you like with a computer man if you have some time to dickaround with then go with linux or even better get yourself a copy of diskmajick :cough: limewire:cough: and partition your drives WARNNING PARTIONING CAN FUCK YOU UP BE EXTREEMLY CARFUL. well thats all the time i have later

0 0

I've been using Linux (RedHat the Fedora Core) for sometime and I like it, but if ya just want one OS I have to vote for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2.

Plenty of people knock microsoft but if we are all honest it is a reliable and simple to use operating system that does just about whatever you need it to do. Futhermore there are lots of appications available to suit a users of all ability levels and on any budget.

I personally haven't used Windows XP 64-bit Edition but I have heard rumours that there have been a few compatibility problems with some applications as the normal (32-bit) editions so you might want to find out a bit more. Dure to the huge number of 32-bit processors out there the change to 64-bit is gonna take a long time. If you want a 64-bit OS my recommendation is to hold out for Microsoft Windows Vista which will offer far greater 64-bit optimization/support.

Has anyone considered using Mac Os X?