Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Is there any way I can install software for Ubuntu without installing Ubuntu?

0 0

I just got Ubuntu, and I can't get on the internet because my internet software isn't on there. I was wondering how I could install software if I'm using a live cd…

0 0

perhaps vmware.

0 0

good idea…anything else? :D

0 0

Skunkfoot wrote: I just got Ubuntu, and I can't get on the internet because my internet software isn't on there. I was wondering how I could install software if I'm using a live cd…

Man IDK what Ubuntu is and I can't google it right now so go with that other dudes advice lol.

0 0

Ch33syC0mput3r5 wrote: Man IDK what Ubuntu is and I can't google it right now so go with that other dudes advice lol.

Man, thanks for that pointless post. That really helped this discussion.

0 0

haha..

0 0

@Ch33sy, Ubuntu is an OS; a linux distro

0 0

Echo why bother posting if you cannot help?

@problem

Well, you could either put the software on a flash drive or external harddrive, then access it from Ubuntu.

0 0

that's exactly what I was thinking, or just put the programs on like a cd…but how would I do that? Like, would I just install them to the cd from the setup?

0 0

why do you insist on using a cd? If you do not want to spend much money, go out and buy a $5 128mb flashdrive..

EDIT: I recommend a 2gb flashdrive depending on the programs you are talking about.

0 0

well, I don't wanna use a cd, I wanna use a dvd…they're like 4 gigs…and I have 3 of those 128 MB flash drives, but even with all three of them at 128, that's not even close to as big as one DVD ;)

0 0

like i said above, download vmware. install it. download the iso of Ubuntu. Config Vmware to run your iso of Ubuntu. Quite easy…

0 0

which one would I dl? there's so many choices…

0 0

W.e one you want really.

0 0

What is so good about Gentoo?

0 0

I like it for a number of reasons. First off, going through the install process will teach you a lot about Linux; it will also take you the greater part of a day, but that's the price you pay for customization from the ground up.

Second, Portage is fantastic for installing packages. It functions similar to Ubuntu/Debian's apt-get or Red Hat/Fedora's yum, but it pulls from a single repository (unlike Ubuntu/Debian) and I just hate Red Hat/Fedora. :-) Portage pulls all of the dependencies for that package for you, and all you have to type is "emerge <package name>". You can also chain package installs into one emerge command.

Finally, Gentoo is one of the fastest Linux distros I've tried, and I figure this is most likely due to the fact that you install what you want and don't have any of those "leftovers" that you never use.

Combined with one of the smallest ISO images (for the minimal install CD), the fact that it functions as a command-line only LiveCD, and the fact that it has the text-based web browser Links on the CD… Gentoo is not only my favorite distro, but also my favorite LiveCD! I use it all the time to troubleshoot issues on other computers.

Of course, Linux preferences usually correlate with personal preferences, so I'm sure someone will dispute my choice of distro.

0 0

I see…ok well tell me this. What does Linux have that Windows doesn't. By that i mean, what can't windows do that anyone would want from Linux?

0 0

I see…ok well tell me this. What does Linux have that Windows doesn't. By that i mean, what can't windows do that anyone would want from Linux?

0 0

Download over HTTP at speeds of at least 3.0MB / sec.

And Linux is just sexy.

I run both Windows and Linux, and I use them both for different purposes. I program in Windows and do my job in Windows (mostly); I use Linux for fun and pentesting at work, faster web browsing, and to feel like the command prompt is not an add-on but, in fact, there as a foundation.

I also like programming Perl in its intended environment, and Apache rocks IIS.

However, as I said, it's all based upon preference, so I can only argue why I like either one better than the other.

0 0

Well didn't you just do the same…

Back to the linux thing..how does programming perl in linux help more than windows? I am learning perl, and i find neither gives an advantage..

0 0

what does any of this have to do with the original topic?

0 0

Skunkfoot wrote: what does any of this have to do with the original topic?

Well, here's a flashback, since you obviously didn't pay attention to my post:

Zephyr_Pure wrote: Wanted to do the same thing myself a while ago… eventually never did because Gentoo rocks. Since you want to, though, here are a couple of sites that turned up on Google when I searched "modify Ubuntu iso":

http://www.supriyadisw.net/2006/10/how-to-create-an-ubuntu-iso-using-jigdo http://www.atworkonline.it/~bibe/ubuntu/custom-livecd.htm

The first one looks easier, the second one looks like you'll learn something from it.

Cheers.

So, really, your question is answered, but you're probably too lazy to try it. That's why we branched topics.

Ponguile wrote: Back to the linux thing..how does programming perl in linux help more than windows? I am learning perl, and i find neither gives an advantage..

sigh It doesn't give any advantage… all of my preferences are personal. Some of those comments I made were slightly sarcastic with the intent of ending the discussion. Why would I try to end the discussion?

Because you say you want a "why is Linux better than Windows" but you're really looking for "what can Linux do that Windows can't". And the answer is nothing… they can both do the same things. Linux just does them faster and more efficiently. End of story.

0 0

Sequel to Story: So your saying..I am fine with learning perl on Windows, because i really do not need to do anything fast..seeing how I am just writing programs?