Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

*nix Favorites List

Lover of Parkour
0 0

Hey, So I am a *nix fan. I DO still use windows, alot, but I still enjoy *nix alot. With so many different distros, customizable packages, so many Window Managers ect… it would be neat to see what other people like and use it.

IT seems, from current threads and topics, that many other here have at least experimented with linux.

Here is a basic format, just copy and paste the questions and type in your answers to see what most people like. PLEASE do not start flameing, or even ask others why they chose this or that…this whole thing is about seeing other people's opinion…just have fun :)

These are all the Questions I can come up with off the top of my head, if you think of more, PM me or Post it in the forum and I will edit this post to include them.

Questions: 1)What type of *nix do you use? (Linux, Unix, BSD, Solaris, ect…list all that apply)

2)what specific distro(s)?

1. What Window Manager(s), X, Desktop environment(s) do you use/like? (If you stick with shell, then just say shell)

2. Do you perfer a LiveCD or a HD installation?

3. Do you have Windows or Mac on your computer as well? (specify)

4. If yes to number 5, do you use partitions, or do you use an external hardrive, or other? (If other, give a small description)

5. How many different *nixs have you tried (eg: Linux, Unix, BSD, ect..)

6. How many different distros have you tried?

7. Do you use Linux as your MAIN OS, or just sometimes? Or just tried it and never gotten around to actually using it?

8. What do you specifically use it for?

There, that's all I can think of off the top of my head, NC

0 0
  1. Linux
  2. Ubuntu
  3. shell
  4. hd installation 5.Windows, hoping to get mac disk soon
  5. partitions
  6. 1
  7. 1
  8. Sometimes
  9. files that im unsure about (may contain viruses), hacking

Lover of Parkour
0 0

1)Linux, but I am thinking of giving BSD a shot.

2)Ubuntu, Debian (I tried and liked Slackware, but I don't use it anymore)

3)KDE and Stumpwm…I use the shell if I have to

1. HD install

2. Win XP

3. External USB HD

7)1

8)6

1. Just sometimes

2. whenever I am sick of windows (happens occasionally,) When I want to program in LISP or Scheme. When I am bored out of my mind and want to tinker with something, there is always a config file to mess with, or the kernel if I am feeling particularly daring. And for impressing friends who are pure windows users. For somereason they can't fathom how it could be easy to use the shell :D

0 0

1/ Linux

2/ Slackware

3/ GNOME, Fluxbox (Default), Shell

4/ HD Installation

5/ Nope

6/ N/A

7/ Linux and BSD

8/ 6 Linux HD Installs, 1 BSD HD Install, 2 Linux USB Pendrive Installs and 5 Linux LiveCDs

9/ Main OS on my computer. I did use Windows a lot…for playing games but now I don't have the time

10/ Coding mainly and creating/editing config files including tweaking the kernel

0 0

I use kubuntu. (duh- kde.)

0 0

1)Linux

2)Right now i use slackware, i did use SuSE. I have tried: DSL, Evil Entity, Knoppix, College linux, Vector linux.

1. KDE obviously. Abit of WindowMaker and recently Enlightenment.

2. HD install by far.

3. Have windows on a slave drive and the master drive has linux. I use grub as my bootloader.

4. as i said i have 2 individual internal hdd's for each. Each one has a bootloader but grub is loaded first from the linux drive and if i choose to boot windows it just loads the windows bootloader from the windows hdd.

5. 2: Linux and BSD

6. quite alot… about 7 or 8.

7. I use slackware most of the time. I only use windows for stuff linux cannot do like… ermmm crash and certain game which haven't been ported.

8. Messing around with… really thats all i do with it. also browsing the net, play games i.e quake 4. I do everything i can in it.

The Manager
0 0
  1. Linux, BSD

2. NetBSD, FreeBSD, Debian, Fedora, SuSE, Red Hat, IPCop(Yes it is a distro)

3. E17, KDE, Gnome

4. HD Install

5. Windows XP Professional on the one running SuSE

6. Partitions set up for certain tasks of the operating system.

7. 2

8. 7

9. Depends on the machine and application. I have SuSE as my backup on my main machine, Debian as my main for my server and the others are just ones that I have used.

10. Server, Desktop, Burning, Media, Graphics, etc…

0 0

1)Linux

2)PHLAK, Backtrack

3)Fluxbox, Shell

4)Both

5)Yes, Windows XP

6)I primarily use LiveCD's, i only install linux on my laptop's hdd, and with that i don't have any other OS on it.

7)None

8)6

9)It's Sometimes my Main OS :P

10)Hacking related things, but also when i feel like leaving windows.