Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Switch to linux

0 0

My mom owns her own buisness and is getting rid of a pretty old and pretty crappy 98. Im curious about linux so i told her i'd take it. I cant upgrade it at all because i have no money to spare. What are my options for installing Linux? What i've learned from previous experiance with 98s is that if you use any kind of USB device the first thing it does is popup saying 'wtf is this?' and after you identify the device from a list it acts like its not there at all… i could possibly hook it up to my DSL idk what it would say about the new fangled contraption called internet, but all i have to do it make a new connection right?

The way i'd like to install it is via CD i have a CD writer on my XP and i could prolly pick up w.e kinds of CDs needed.

my question is, would i be able to format the 98's drive and put linux on via cd, and what would i need to do this (i.e. boot disks, ect.)

thank you for your time, -Tonz

0 0

go to a linux distro's site such as ubuntu… download the .iso of the distro. should be around 600mb+ for ubuntu however for fedora around 5 cd's are need lol. put it the cd drive. boot it up and it should start downloading.

0 0

sweet thanks guys do i need to format the c drive first?/can i format it first because its basicly useless right now

Banned
0 0

If your not going to dual boot, just empty the hard disk, and install linux. its more complicated if you decide to dual boot.

Bl4ckc4t

0 0

if you are totally new,to unix,or linux. you might not really want to attempt installing 1of these. use vmware player,to play around with some distro's. then it will run on top of your windows like a program. and let you expierience what it's like,having a other os… without actually installing them.

if you got any questions…

pm me…

peace.

0 0

Well, I am using kubuntu. You can get the ISO and download the LIVE CD which enables you to install from their. Just erase everything on the w98 ok? Make sure you have the internet plugged in and enjoy really. Ah- and the live CD is only one.. so yeah- it's good.

Get drapper: http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php#lts

0 0

check around the cheap book stores you may find a very cheap copy of o'reilly learning redhat this also has 2 cd's with redhat

i paid a couple of pounds for mine.. save all that download time plus you get the 320 page book (That will come in handy if you are new to linux) :p if not but it on the bookshelf..

thatsflash

The Manager
0 0

I would suggest downloading a Business Card ISO (approx 150 MB) it is the bare minimum but you can still pull all the other parts off the internet (as long as there is a NIC). That is the best bet for a quick install for any OS. For a newbie in the linux world I would suggest Fedora or SuSE. you could even try Debian (My install was 3 floppies :P). It is all dependant on what you want. just check out the different types and make the choice yourself because that is the only way to make the RIGHT Linux choice.

Hope that helps.