Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

1 gig partition for linux + AOL

0 0

Hi there, I would like to have a dual boot with windows XP and another linux distro. The partition for linux is limited to 1 gig. I would also like to put a file that I have downloaded to my WinXP system in order to run aol (yes i know its crap but im stuck with it) with linux. If possible an idiot-proof guide would be better for me. thanks :)

0 0

1 gig is really a little. remember that at the cheapiest case you gotta install 2 partitions, a swap and a / . the / should be ATLEAST twice as big than the swap. i gave my / 80 gig and swap about 3. if you want to reinstall the linux but have your private things to stay you should make more partitions (like a /usr one) i recommend debian, really easy but powerful, and has lots of packages! you may wanna get etch (unstable) if your income doesnt depend on the linux. some distros dont have GRUB or LILO (multi - booters) coming as part of them, but debian comes with GRUB, which is more powerful than LILO, but supports less (damn forgot what its called….)…. nvm… ^^

also debian has a really good and user friendly partitioner… you can also get ubuntu or mandriva but you wont learn anything from that.

0 0

well AOL is going to be a pain to get as well as getting USB modem to work. I suggest you do waht my uncle did. He hated having to use the AOL stuff to browser the net and he just wanted to use IE. So he phoned up to say he's changing ISP and they sent him a router so he didn't have to use AOL software.

I suggest that you try a get an router/modem and use that. It wont have any compatability issues and will allow you to use your aol connection with linux.

Also 1gb is WAAAAY to small unless your going to be running a minimalist system. i suggest you install linux on a seperate harddrive so to keep linux and windows seperate and so taht you dont ahve to overwrite the windows bootloader.

0 0

scankyfrank wrote: well AOL is going to be a pain to get as well as getting USB modem to work. I suggest you do waht my uncle did. He hated having to use the AOL stuff to browser the net and he just wanted to use IE. So he phoned up to say he's changing ISP and they sent him a router so he didn't have to use AOL software.

I suggest that you try a get an router/modem and use that. It wont have any compatability issues and will allow you to use your aol connection with linux.

Also 1gb is WAAAAY to small unless your going to be running a minimalist system. i suggest you install linux on a seperate harddrive so to keep linux and windows seperate and so taht you dont ahve to overwrite the windows bootloader.

Right. I have decided what to do. I am going to try to get a free router from AOL (they are doing that free wireless thing right now anyway). I was thinking of DSL for the partition… what do you think, I have heard that it is debian based. One of the majar setbacks of linux for me is the sheer incompatibility with AOL, but with a router, that problem is solved. Also I can probably plug it into my PS2 aswell :p. Thanks for all the help so far.

0 0

with 1 gig partition for the whole linux you wont be able to install even half a bash ^^ and no talking bout KDE ^^

0 0

:( oh well… i'll just wait till my coputer fucks up again and then i'll put in a 5 gig partition or something… but ive only got 40gigs on my computer, so I'll really miss 'em (but I really, seriously want to try linux… Ahhh the choices :xx:) anyway, I am going to try and ask the AOL support staff (im not sure if they understand english… or any other language for that matter…) and see if I can get a router… that way I'll be happy without needing to install :)

The Manager
0 0

1 gig is enough for a linux distro.

Debian Base install with no X-Server is about 500 MB.

DSLinux is even smaller. 1 Gig is a little small if you are looking to really have something to work with in Linux but if it is just a starters playground it should do fine.

I have had Linux installed on a system with a 650MB Hard Drive so I do not see why 1GB is too little.

but remember with only 1GB you are looking at not a lot of swap space.

For the swap partition it is recommended to have 2X your RAM capacity (ie. 512MB Ram == 1GB swap) and your root partition (/) should be double swap. so you are looking for a good install of linux look in your classified ads under the $50 section and but a cheap PIII ;)

That is the best way truthfully.

0 0

hey i already told hime to have X2 swap ;-\ ^^

with a one gig i believe you will have nothing,

but if your playing minimalistic (^^) theres a distro called minimal linux or something like that i cant really remember but it doesnot take lots of hd space

0 0

OK! I'll try that. I searched for minimal linux and found this: http://www.minimalinux.org/ Did you mean that? If you cant remember it's name, thats OK, I'll just use DSL

0 0

DSL is cheap.

0 0

yea i did mean that… DSL is small aswell…

0 0

ok… I just plucked up the courage to install DSL in the secondary partition (named hd5). I installed grub the first time - but with no success… so I re-installed with lilo and now everything is working fine… now for a router… but just as a temporary replacement, I am going to try and find a driver, or dialer or something that will connect me to the net. Do any of you guys know of a program that will let me put a file in a linux partition from windows? I hope there is such a thing…

The Manager
0 0

no there is not. windows sucks and does not like cross platform communication.

0 0

:/ then how can I load files into my new partition… a CD should work…

[edit] … quite a pointless post now that I think of it…[/edit]

0 0

usually it causes mass data destruction.

but there are some new stuff around that claim to mount windows NTFS partitions with no problems.

and yea, windows does suck ^^

0 0

huh… better not try it… :right: but the difficulty I have now is that I need to install GNU (I think it is that one…) so that I can install a .deb file… but I cant download it off the net - but I dont know where I can download manually… AHHHH :angry:

0 0

s0l1dsnak3123 wrote: huh… better not try it… :right: but the difficulty I have now is that I need to install GNU (I think it is that one…) so that I can install a .deb file… but I cant download it off the net - but I dont know where I can download manually… AHHHH :angry:

Okay… can you just start over and say exactly what your problem is and why you can't download anything off of the net or access anything from your HDD?

As far as the HDD is concerned, I know that modern Linux distros have the ability to read NTFS, and I believe I recall reading about an NTFS driver that allowed read/write access from Linux, but I don't remember where I read it. Also, Linux-based NTFS access is not "unstable" in the read-only form; only the write would have the potential to cause instability because it's the only operation that could modify the partition.

0 0

Okay… can you just start over and say exactly what your problem is and why you can't download anything off of the net or access anything from your HDD? ok… my stance has changed… alot :) I got a pc upgrade so i now have an 80gig hd + a 40gig hd on 2 seperate drives (obviously). I ended up quitting AOL entirely when my modem decided to fuck up completely… I am having probs with my mac code, but i think ive got to the end of it. Tiscali is my new ISP in a few weeks (without broaband… or the internet for that matter) I asked the customer services what type of modem they usually supply and they said sagem 800 and i checked on google and there is quite a selection. I currently have kubuntu on my 40gig, and I am sure i will enjoy it much more than I allready am when I get back online. I have an 800meg fat32 partition as well as I read that most linuxes have full read/write support, so I'll have no problem installing (hopefully). I am glad that thing are slowly heading for the better, so I'll keep you posted. Im going out tommorrow and AOhell are disconnecting me on monday… im currently waiting 48hours for a new mac code so i can resume my switch with tiscali (once again AOHELL f*cked up… I had to talk to BT in order to get any sense, I had to give some sort of cease order (which aol didn't understand) then some irish dude started hurling abuses because i "wasn't asking him a question - i was telling him to do something which he didn't understand…") I hope I get somewhere by the end of the week… anyway. I hope this makes more sense :)

teh_snak3