Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Which Linux for me ??

0 0

Hello !!

I am posting this topic for the help on choosing the right linux .. i been searching everywhere but cudnt find a solution. I need linux for doing programmings which Iam learning in college.. My subject is both Unix/Linux Shell Programming and from very basics to advanced.. Also I been told everywhere to use linux since I been into hacking..

My teacher suggested Redhat Though

Also, Linux is free right ?? So plz tell me where do I find redhat or any linux u suggest to download. I Googled it but dunno why the site was asking for Payment… Plz help

SoulTaker

0 0

I would like to be the first one to welcome you to the wild and wonderful world of linux!

choosing a distro of linux to download and use really depends on your skill and how well you know how linux works. For a first time user of linux i would reccomend using Fedora Core 5 as it comes bundeled with alot of helpful software and GUIs to make things seem relitivly simple, and also has great coding enviroments. but if you are more knowing of the linux world and really into the coding i would reccomend using slackware or gentoo. Despite the recent popularity of unbunto i would not reccomend it…. idk i just didn't like it. also i wouln't go for the weird ones but then again i dont know much about those o and ya it's all free good site is linuxiso.org to dload them

Banned
0 0

SoulTaker wrote: Hello !!

I am posting this topic for the help on choosing the right linux .. i been searching everywhere but cudnt find a solution. I need linux for doing programmings which Iam learning in college.. My subject is both Unix/Linux Shell Programming and from very basics to advanced.. Also I been told everywhere to use linux since I been into hacking..

My teacher suggested Redhat Though

Also, Linux is free right ?? So plz tell me where do I find redhat or any linux u suggest to download. I Googled it but dunno why the site was asking for Payment… Plz help

SoulTaker

I personally suggest fedora core 3. the fedora project is sponsored by red hat, its VERY versatile and can be good for general use.

Go with core 3 if you are required to have red hat.

Bl4ckC4t

0 0

i would reccomends something that uses KDE. Personally i would reccomend slackware its WAY easier to install that people make it out it be. Also if your college guy reccomends redhat then you could ask him for a copy. The reason you pay for some distros is the fact that it comes with manuals, user-support, a pretty box and it already on a CD. I positive with redhat you can legally give someone a copy… i know for sure you can with SuSE.

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

NO! KDE SUCKS GNOME IS SO MUCH BETTER!

0 0

system_meltdown wrote: NO! KDE SUCKS GNOME IS SO MUCH BETTER!

Gnome… blach… it has a foot for a logo!!! how naff is that… so not to hi-jack the thread i'm going to create a thread and we can discuss which is better… and we all know the answer… KDE…(i find windowmaker better than gnome)

SoulTaker: use KDE!!!!

0 0

Thank You everyone for reply .. :)

0 1

say again why you want to use linux?

0 0

I am Learning Unix/Linux programmings in my college, so I need it to install to practice my programmings.

And also I been told that its very good and better than Windows and that I should have It Installed If I am deciding to be a Hacker.

0 0

Also Plz tell me that if I Install Linux keeping my windows xp installed..will it be fine and effective yet ??

0 1

ah ok, well if your programming with them etc then yeah deffo a valid reason.

but whoever told you that you need linux to be a hacker is a idiot.

The Manager
0 0

For just learning Linux I would suggest SuSE 10.1 or openSuSE. They are easy to use and I find them much better performance wise than Fedora. Fedora has better Driver support but all in all SuSE is a better beast.

If you really want to get into Linux coding try Debian, Ubuntu or any other off shoot of the Debian Structure (Kubuntu etc…) I personally like KDE for the base install then replace it with E (http://www.enlightenment.org/) ;)

If you want to get into coding though you should stick to shell without a GUI. Hacking is not a Linux thing. It can help with some tools but Windows can be just as powerful when it comes to hacking. The main difference is Linux is OpenSource so you can get the programs for Linux and alter them to do what you want legally.

Hope this helps.

0 0

Hey, just a thought, sorry if it sounds lame - but if most people use Windows as the OS, then wouldn't it make sense from a hacking point of view to learn more on Windows and DOS etc? Alot of people told me to go Linux at the beginning aswell…

Also, I'm looking to install Linux on my box but really don't know which one to use. I'm getting a new computer anyhow so just wanted to put Linux on this one for something different. Any idea's as to what would be best from a 'hacking' stance?

Thanks! :D

The Manager
0 0

The best machine from a 'hacking' stance is which ever you know the most about. It has nothing to do with OS and what have you it is where you are the most knowlegable not which will make you a better hacker.

0 0

Cool, I'm most competent with using DOS tbh - just with everybody nattering on about "Get Linux! Get Linux" I thought I would jst give it a try. I still wanna install Linux as I'm keeping my old computer once I get the new one in a few weeks. Would like something that is easy to use but equally as powerful/if not more so than Windows/DOS

(Sorry, realised how dumb-asses 'hacking stance' sound there :xx:)

0 0

nice article - think I'll go for Fedora/RedHat seeing as it seems to be the most up-to-date on drivers - are there any complications with setting up the internet, etc? I remember my dad ( in all his technical blunder ) trying to set up RedHat with no success

0 0

just to thourgh my two pennies in. i was trying to decide for a long time on what Linux os to install. i just installed ubuntu a couple of days ago and everything seems to be working fine. i have it running dual, with XP pro. i do like the os a lot, now i just have to learn the in and outs of it :D

0 0

Thanks for reply All .. BUt will my comPuter perfoRm good still if I InstaLL Two Os ??

0 0

LoNg StoRy CuT ShoRt: Yes.. .. . .. … .. and fix your shift-key. (I prefer BackTrack btw)

0 0

Iorek wrote: nice article - think I'll go for Fedora/RedHat seeing as it seems to be the most up-to-date on drivers - are there any complications with setting up the internet, etc? I remember my dad ( in all his technical blunder ) trying to set up RedHat with no success

let me tell you a story. My parents are in love with AOhell. I hate it. everybody hates aohell. Linux hates AOhell. (AOhell = AOL. AOL = linux hater) I wish AOL would decide to clean up its act and become more compatible. That is the only reason why I dont have linux on my box… now that I think about it… I really would like to install linux… anybody know of a good distro that will fit inside a gig of partition?

p.s sorry to hijack thread… but it was a little dead anyway.