Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Windows Vista Beta 2: What a surprise - It still sucks!

0 0

Yeah, so, I downloaded and screwed around with Vista in VMWare, and despite MS' promises - it STILL sucks!

Am I surprised? Not really.

Am I going to buy Vista? Probably not.

0 0

Is this post worth posting? Probably NOT.

0 0

Is being sarcastic to random people (who at a first glance looks to be a fairly new member) a good way to benifit the community?

again, probably not.

but all jokes aside, its a worthy topic.

I havent heard anything about vista, other than people telling me its going to suck. No reasoning, just flat out declaration of suckiness. While I cannot dispute this based on past attemts on making a decent OS, it would be nice to get a more in-depth review.

Ive seen a couple of screenshots, and at a first glance it looked like XP only with more pop-up style reminders and useless tips designed for the mentally handicapped.

Ive also heard the bigger issue about vista having a kill switch if you cannot prove you own the software at any given time you access the internet.

on the counterargument to this, Ive heard that microsoft was considering removing said software (at least use a more watered down version of it) due to bad feedback.

are either of these possibilities confirmable? So far i must say i havent heard anything from any trusted resources.

any other issues people are finding? any concerns? Im a linux person myself, but I find it impossible to stray 100% from the mainstream software simply because its everywhere. If its not on my computer its gonna be on my friends.

Also, it would be nice to hear a few positive things about vista. I mean, it cant ALL be bad, can it?

0 0

what's that bout that kill switch? don't realy understand that part :s soz

0 0

I think it means that vista will kill itself if you can't prove you own that copy of it whenever you go online.

0 0

Sparky2002B wrote: Yeah, so, I downloaded and screwed around with Vista in VMWare, and despite MS' promises - it STILL sucks!

Am I surprised? Not really.

Am I going to buy Vista? Probably not.

1. If you say it sucks, then say why.

2. I've used vista for about 2 weeks and I really like it. It's refreshing, totally different lay out then WinXP, what was necassary. There are tons of new features: new games, DVDmaker,… The new lay out is just friggin sweet. A downpart is that your computer has to be quite fast to run all this smoothly.

MS rewrote the kernel, which made things more stable (malware writers have to relook at the new kernel and find new holes in it, what will take a while.)

The driver handling is very nice, I installed vista and all audio/video drivers were installed automaticly, just as my scanner and printer.

1. If I'm going to witch to a new OS, it'll be Vista.

0 0

Setrop wrote: what's that bout that kill switch? don't realy understand that part :s soz

I looked it up a little. It's called "Windows Genuine Advantage" or WGA.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is also a program that comes with an XP automatic update and tells you if the copy of windows you are running is legal.

Microsoft was planning on having the Vista version of this program render the OS unusable 30 days after a computer could not prove it's legality.

I think this idea was ditched after a) bad user response and b) the fact that it is not hard to stop the WGA from accessing the microsoft servers. Im no expert, but as far as i can tell there are two really easy solutions: either disable the WGA on your computer (delete it completely) or use a firewall to block any outgoing traffic to the microsoft servers.

Anyways, so thats the only noticable difference then? XP with 3D interfaces? I heard it looks like KDE for linux.

Im actually kind of hoping it dosnt suck balls. Even though I'd do my best to avoid Microsoft products, I still think of the other 90% of the world that are dependant on it. XP was a bust, in my oppinion. here's hoping the next version is more reliable.

0 0

Well, yeah, I'll give ya that Vista does look sexy.

But atleast at this point, games run like crap, some of the control panel features are screwed up, etc.

Microsoft seems to be so busy incorporating ways for Vista users to buy Windows One Care and Office 2007 that they're forgetting to make people want to buy Vista.

0 0

A friend of mine owns a computer shop, and he had Vista loaded on a computer there, so he let me test it. Most people won't even really be able to run it smoothly because the min specs are 1gb of RAM, Pentium 4, and what not especially a good graphic card. The only real things i had noticed differently was the desktop has some little changes, the start menu is kinda gone, now its just a circle with the MS icon inside it lol. The 3d alt tabbing is quite cool though, however I don't think I am going to buy Vista just yet for better graphics and to slow down my computer, and take a hit at my wallet, lol. Thats my 2 cents. :D

The Manager
0 0

From what I know about Vista is the major changes that Microsoft was going to make were taken out. I know the new File system was removed. They were going to be making a newer file system but trashed it and stuck with NTFS. I know the graphics bit is cool but other than eye candy it is shit. I could care less if my tool tips and help is in 3d. just tell me what is wrong and tell me HOW to fix the damn thing.

There were also a few more parts that were left out (though for the life of me I cannot recall what they were) so as far as I know this is just a new version of Windows XP with better graphics.

On the note of re-writing the kernel: I doubt they did a total re-vamp of it. They most likely just took XP and patched all the holes they could find. Again I have been wrong before though.

In all I think it is a waste of time and I will stick with XP for my users windows needs.

0 0

Hmm, i started beta testing Vista when it was first released to the public. I found it surprising because it performed equal or better than my XP setup on all accounts using the same hardware. It's been rough to use because it's still buggy, i have lots of issues finding drivers that will intall. I can get them to work, but i can't run the installer. Visually, i like it, though they've not made it so hard to find your tools that it's almost not worth tweaking.

Yeah, control panel, a NIGHTMARE! Somethings are straightforward, until you try to uninstall a program. Want to uninstall a windows program like, lets say, netmessenger, the files aren't actually deleted, they just disable the feature in the OS. It's annoying because now i can't save diskspace on this 6-7GB moster OS, and yet convenient because you don't have to put in a disk to install a new service.

I installed my Vista on 7-8GB of HD space, gives me about 200MB left, even with such low diskspace it doesn't complain.

It appears you cannot turn off hibernation, you get it, and you keep it. I don't believe i've been able to turn off the pagefile or anything. I'd like to dump these so i can see how it performs on my hardware with the same settings as i run in XP no page etc…and with some more HD space.

All in all, i'm looking forward to RC1 to see what they've improved from here, Vista will be my first Retail copy of windows, no OEM for me.

0 0

lol hack4u, i am guessing that it is ms stealing like linux and other os's ideas and putting them into vista, am i right? lol good movie none the less lol

0 0

yes thats exactly what the clip is about :P

0 0

How do you set up Vista on vmware?:o:o I just get the message no Bootable cd or floppy am i doing something competely stupid???? (besides fooling with vista)