Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Linux :D ~~WTF~~

0 0

Ok, i know you's are probably sick of Linux threads.

The problem im having is installing. I got the ubuntu live CD just today. When i try and install it, i either get told not enough memory or that it cant be installed properly cause of the system file. The first problem about memory is ok, i have a 250gb external drive, so i should be sweet. But its the system file problem that is trickyer. I seen the file once i formatted the external HDD first time round but at that stage wasnt 100% sure what it even was. Then i went to install linux from the cd. When it gets to, 11% i think, it give the error about the system file. Now, i think the system file has been changed to a linux one on the HDD cause it does not appear when i am running windows :/

Anyone know what i should do about the system files??

0 0

Do you try to format a partition of 10G or ++ in fat32 and install your linux on it.

Or try to remove all the partition on your new hdd and when you install linux he ask you where do you want to install it, so choose your new disk and make a partition ext2fs.

0 0

what tancurrom did;

1.)format his external HDD, with windows 2.)Go to live cd and try and install linux on the external HDD I started trying to partition some bits of the HDD, but then just did it all.

3.)HDD not appearing when i run windows :(

The Manager
0 0

if your partition is not in FAT32 then it will not show in Windows because Windows is shitty and does not like anything but NTFS and FAT.

0 0

Ok, thanks for the info :angry: at shitty windows MUST HAVE LINUX

Anyone know how to solve my installiation problem?? I'm partitioning with the thing that comes with the CD to partition.

I also dont get connected to the internet, do i have to run my software to get on it??

The Manager
0 0

I am a fan of less 'windowy' GUIs. That is why I use E (also known as E17)

I use SuSE for my desktop environment and Debian for other applications. I am also getting into freeBSD soon ;)

0 0

Well, im not getting any memory issues now, i just manually partitioned it with the partitioner, but the problem lys in the fact that it wont create a system file properly :(

If there is better, not nesseccarily easier (but wouold be nicer), linux installions i would greatly apperiate the knowledge of how to get these. links would be great :D

0 0

Hey i would suggest you to use vmware to load your partition.

1 - delete all partitions from the usb drive; 2 - reistall linux in the usb drive.

Then you can install a boot loader but you cant use both os contemporanly. I suggest you to use vmware to load not a cd, not a virtual machine but your new partition in the usb drive. You can find the documentation in www.vmware.com

In this way you can run both os at the same time. You have only to configure the net in the linux machine. If you wont can run samba server or others to share your usb drive whit windows. Believe me, i use it and i run at the same time xp, phlak and backtrack and its very very usefull.

0 0

ok, that sounds good. Ill probably talk to you about it in a more detailed way and report back if it doesnt work/ does.

(remember its an external HDD, just reminding!)

0 0

I finally got it to install!! Now moving on to getting on the net!