Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Partition Magic+Installing ubuntu

0 0

Hey guys, i got my free ubuntu cd in the post this morning, and i want to install it onto my comp. I want to create a partiotn on my hdd, ive 7.8gigs of unallocated space on my primary hdd, and i want to create about a 3 gig partition from that for ubuntu, as it says that it takles 2gigs to install it. Can anyone tell me how to do this? ive got partition magic installed on my comp.

Thanks for any help!

0 0

okay so i ran the cd and partitioned my space okay. however, i try to run the installer, and i get through part one okay, even if it doies take an age to load, but part 2 nevber seems to finish loading, and i have to reset my comp. i try to load up the safe graphics version and install it using that but after loading for a bit, i get an error message about how X sever or somthing isnt configured correctly, and asks if i would like to see a log or something. before i can read it all, the screen fills with code. does anyone know what i can do to prevent this error? I reae that it could be a badly burnt cd, so i downloaded a new copy and burnt it, but the exact same errors happen;slow loading teh installation, part 2 wont load, safe graphics mode gives an error. ive fiddled aout with screen res to try and speed things up, but reducing it causes even greater slo down. is there a way to install ubuntu with just a command line input?

any help given is hugely appreciated!

my comp specs are: 256MB RAM(what gives the slow speeds) 2.6Ghz intel p4 96MB graphics card

0 0

ok, there are two possible things that could be going wrong hereā€¦.

1. i believe the reason for the slowdown is how you formatted your partition, those last few gigs are at the ends of the platters, causing that huge slowdown, its best if you format the whole thing and partition it into three peices, your windows installation first (major speedup in windows), the linux partition, i reccomend at least 4 gigs for a lil extra breathing room, remember linux needs a swap partition if you want any decent speeds out of it, and then the rest of the drive for your windows storage
  2. your graphics card, ubuntu is a little funny with graphics drivers, google and see if your particular card works with ubuntu, if it des then the included drivers are probably crap, if you have onboard video you can switch to for the moment and then try the install you could see if that possibility can be ruled out

0 0

okay i got it working, i entered recovery mode and reconfigured the x server and chaged teh drivers to use and i got it working.