Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

I WANT LINUX!! PLease help :(

0 0

Im in a sticky situation here I want linux baaaaaadddd I also need a dual boot I cant I cant go full linux because i dont own the computer :| Anyway i have 2 computers i could put it on I have fedora core 5 cd's

OPtion 1 - Sucky low memory laptop

This is a good option because it would just be good for learning But the problem is I only have 4 GB of free space for linux Fedora core 5 needs 10 GB Is there another version that uses less than 4 GB for dual boot Maybe one with a little less GUIness for learning

Option 2 - good desktop computer

This was my main choice but the problem is it wont read the CD from boot I know it has something to do with my BIOS But i dont know too much about BIOS I tried teliing it to boot from a CD from the boot menu but it wouldnt do anything Also i have 2 cd drives One that works and one that doesnt The main one doesnt work Maybe if i could switch them somehow my comp would read it from boot Help is greatly appreiciated

0 0

Sounds like you need to learn more about the basics of a computer before you play with linux. Linux is much more text interfaced and hardware oriented as compared to Windows XP which is for the point and click monkies. Word of advice on linux though. Fedora doesn't need 10 GB to run, 6 maximum unless you insist on stuffing every feature from the cds on the hard drive and an unsavvy computer user doesnt need a lot of features that linux offers. Plus… DO NOT GO NEAR THE GRUB! lol Stay away from the linux software known as Grub, it'll eat Windows and stupify the bios…

0 0

I do need to learn more about computer basics thats my weak point I wouldnt mind working hard to learn linux Thats why i wanted one with a little less GUI so i could get some experience with text based The CDS i have require 10 GB I got them out of a magizine soo….

0 0

ah, out of the one with the giant penguin on it huh? alrighty, well if you are wanting to learn and use linux to learn with then that would be a good thing to do. Let's see though… Your computer situation is a bit of a hard one I suppose. And I am not one to say anything about Dual Booting or making multiple hard drive boot partitions since I never can manage to do it properly even if i take step by step instructions lol. But once you get into the linux world, I will help out with what I can.

0 0

I think a less GB taking distro would be good Maybe one that isnt very imagey or GUIish idk

0 0

I was reading about ISO images i could use that and install linux without the cd boot way Now to the ISO! I hope i dont screw myself over

0 0

ive always wondered how to do dual boot..

0 0

just repartition your HDD into 2: one for win32 and other for linux. you can use magic partition or do it manually (i suggest doing it manually.)

Then install on OS (win32/linux) on the first sector, and the second on the second sector.

Then configure your bootloader (which recognizes your OSes)… i usually let the linux bootloaders take care of it, since Microsoft boot manager does a bad job, sometimes even "ignores" the second OS (i don't know if Uncle Bill meant to do that, or if it's just bad software…) That's a very broad summary of dual-booting, Frozen Flame.

By the way, merciless_bug, what are you talking about?

DO NOT GO NEAR THE GRUB! lol Stay away from the linux software known as Grub, it'll eat Windows and stupify the bios…

That's funny (and sounds right), but it's false and is a biased approach to look at the boot manager… lilo is old school (yet some people still prefer it over GRUB), but it's functionality should not be discredited or misunderstood. It did a fine job managing my OSes for years, and I've had no problems related to booting. But in the long run, it might all be personal preferences and experiences…

0 0

Grub > LiLo

0 0

I just installed Fedora Core 5 on a computer with a 10GB hard drive. It took up less than 2GB with the web server package installed. Also, distros are not GUIish. A GUI is like a program that you run that makes linux look like windows. Most distros have Gnome or KDE GUIs, no matter what the distro though, the GUI takes up the same space, since the GUIs are the same. You dont need to install the GUI, you can have it strictly text base, which is what i suggest if you want to learn linux.

0 0

Where can i get text-based?

0 0

A really good way to start learning linux w/o getting yourself in over your head would be to grab a knoppix and burn that.

http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

You burn the CD, boot from it, and it all loads into memory w/o touching your hard drive. That way, if your lost and confused just reboot the computer and it's all gone.

Since your a computer-tard, you might want to try ubuntu, which is the least-linux / most-windowsy distrobution. I don't think that requires to much disk space.

Personally I've always hated red hat along with their latest the fedora core's. Slackware is by far the most 1337 distro you can get, however it's also the most complex.

0 0

The main thing i want to figure out is how to switch my main and secondary cd drives

0 0

Conaman12 wrote: The main thing i want to figure out is how to switch my main and secondary cd drives

switch the jumpers on each drive that designates them master or slave.