Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Wireless Network Cards+Linux

0 0

Hey all, Im having a bit of trouble with interent access on linux. In my comp, I am currently using a Buffalo WLI-CB-G54 Wireless LAN Adapter. I downloaded knoppix and fired it up, only to find that i could not access the internet on knoppix. Now, i presume this is because knoppix doesnt contain the drivers for this wireless card. Can anyone tell me if linux drivers for this card exist, and if so is it at all possible to download the drivers for the card for linux onto my harddrive and have knoppix use them? I understand that because it is allon cd this probably will not be possible, but would it be possible if i downloaded a linux that installed onto my hdd?

If the use of teh buffalo card is impossible on linux, I can probably switch adapters with my bro, he uses a BT voyager 1055 usb adapter. Does anyone know if linux drivers for this adapter exist?

Also, if these two adapters are both unusable on linux, can someone point me in the direction of a good wireless card that works on both windows and linux? (not too expesnive, mind lol)

Thanks very much for any help given!

0 0

I did some googling and believe that the Buffalo adapter you have is one that is not natively supported by any linux distributions or *BSD as far as I can tell. There are however some work-around ways of getting this working, including ndiswrapper:

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/ http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

Your card appears on the ndiswrapper list as a card that have been succesfully been used through ndiswrapper. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List

However, I know that many people fail to get their card to work with ndiswrapper, and it can be quite a hassle and render you quite frustrated.

Anyways, hope that helped some. If I were you, if you really do wish to use linux/unix system to make life easier for you, I would consider buying a different wireless card after checking the group of supported chipsets for the particular OS you wish to install and making your decision on which card to buy based on this. I do know that Prism chipsets tend to have quite favorable support by most linux distros, as well as most Unix systems, so this would be a good alternative.

Wsoprulz1299

0 0

I had similar troubles with mine. (Dell) Except PCLOS works perfect! I tried Slax and ubuntu and neither worked.

0 0

Okay, thankyou very much for your help guys, ill give it a shot when my new hdd arrives and report back here :D

0 0

okay so after much hair pulling and screams of frustration, i finally got ubuntu installed and displayed o my screen (later losing my password and having to reset it in recovery mode lol) but any way, i downloaded ndiswrapper, and ive read the text files with it etc, but i have absolutley no clue as to how to get it installed into my ubuntu. can anyone help me with this?

thanks a million for any help!

0 0

From memory but im not sure if im correct but you need the windows drivers(?)

0 0

why would he need the windows drivers for a linux distro???

0 0

its how ndiswrapper works… if you read the site you'd know that

Some vendors do not release specifications of the hardware or provide a Linux driver for their wireless network cards. This project implements Windows kernel API and NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) API within Linux kernel. A Windows driver for wireless network card is then linked to this implementation so that the driver runs natively, as though it is in Windows, without binary emulation.

0 0

<—––linux app newb…..gotcha

0 0

;) honestly.. somepeople :p your sig made me laugh