Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

complete noob question

0 0

I just got sick and tierd of windows, and i was planing to put linux…but i decided not to remove windows coz of my family(games, docs, and stuff like that). So i was wandering how can i put 2 OS on 1 comp…i know i know a stupid question but still i dont know…can any1 help me….

0 0

You have to create 2 minumum partitions. If you have already installed windows and have only 1 partition use partition magic to make another. Then boot linux cd(dvd) and install it on other partition.

0 0

theres two main choices when you dual boot:

A) resize the windows partition and add a linux one. This choice is the cheaper one but it is potential dangerous as if you do it wrong you may lose data. And if you dont know how you wont be able to fix it.

B) Install a second hard-drive purely for linux and set it as the master hard-drive. This is better because if linux donesn't work or you dont like it then you jsut take out the linux hard-drive and boot the windows hard-drive.

I'd advise choice B because it is safer and easier to do.

0 0

with you guy's experience, what would you advise to install? what version?

0 0

Setrop wrote: with you guy's experience, what would you advise to install? what version?

I would say try aas many as you can, not one can tell you whihc ones best form you. I'd Suggest SuSE or Slackware. I've had a good experience with both. Knoppix is good too. Well i think that any distro with KDE is good. As for version i'd say get the newest one of the distro you want.

0 1

i think theres no point in you installing another or second OS.

if you play games, then dont get anything other than Windows.

linux is only good for fairly advanced computer users. if you arent advanced and dont know what your doing, its gonna be nothing but a pain to run.

and i've never understood why someone would want a dual boot. seems to be like a "i wanna be cool" thing to do. i know people who have dual boot systems with Windows and Linux, and only a few of them actually have a dual boot for valid reasons, the rest are doing it for show.

If you play games and have files you want to keep, why bother change OS?

you may sit there moaning about Windows, but windows is a excellent OS if you know how to use it properly. a computer will only fuck up if you do something it doesnt like. end of story. Im gonna go out on a limb and say, judging from your post you arent that much of a advanced computer user and if you are tot ake the time to partition your harddrive and dual boot, you will either fuck up your comp, or it will be successful and you will hardly use linux at all coz its gonna be of no use to you.

if i was you i'd stick with my windows OS and just read up more and learn how to use it properly and how to trouble shoot it.

0 0

Totally agree with you cheese. If it is for show…use a livecd ;)

Except - Slaxx is awesome for remote connections etc. But unless you have to … don't install anything else

0 0

srry guys…no show…B)

0 0

srry guys…no show…B)