Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Linux Help

0 0

Hey

I recently installed Fedora Core 5 on my laptop just to try it out I have a Wireless card for my laptop that is made by microsoft for windows and my desktop is still windows and has a wireless router Is thier any way i can get linux to read it and let me on the internet? Please help he out and is thier anyway to get windows back?

0 0

i dont know much about linux but the most obvious way i can think of to get windows back would be to:

1. get the installation cd that you originally had with your computer
  2. place it in the cd tray.
  3. turn on your computer
  4. follow the on screen commands to re-install windows.

That shoudl help you.

0 0

But i dont really want windows back i just want my internet to work

The Manager
0 0

another option is to partition your hard drive. install windows on one and linux on the other…do linux AFTER you do windows though. Then you can boot to either or!

0 0

I tried that but i didnt have enough space on my laptop:(

0 0

Yer, my mate just did that, he's now dual booting - it rocks.

I would also suggest 3 partitions

One for windows One for linux One for files

Use as little space as possible for windows so that you have the extra space for file and different linux boots. I suggest ubuntu

0 0

Dang on the install i think i deleted everything There goes my itunes Hmmm. I heard somewhere you can get the songs off of your ipod onto itunes

0 0

Oh and to get the wireless notebook adapter card working on windows you had to istall some software but it doesnt work in linux

Someone please help

0 0

(duh :|)

u can probably find the software for linux on the website of the company that made the software. else u can try to install WINE or some other emulation program for linux. should work…

0 0

If you wanted to keep your Itunes you should have partitioned, too late now I guess.:|

The Manager
0 0

okay…you install an operating system that uses a COMPLETELY different File structure and though that it would not delete Windows? Did you do ANY research into Linux before you installed it? Please tell me you did…

Windows and Linux are NOT compatable…that is why they are not the same thing!

And I guess you will learn now to BACK up your hard drive before doing something like this from now on :P

0 0

There wasnt enough room on my laptop to partion

The Manager
0 0

how so…you have a 2 gig HD? You can partition a 50 meg drive into 5 10 meg drives!

0 0

AldarHawk it takes people three or four times to get things into thier heads. I've lost about 80 Gb of data all together. If only I'd backed up :|

0 0

i guess so Its to late now though All i really want to do its get my internet working I installed wine but its not working Prolly because i installed the one for fedora core 4 because they didnt have a fedora core 5 I looked and microsoft didnt have the software for linux This sucks

0 0

microsoft (windows) and linux are like fire and water u know….

i think u beter can order a Ubuntu cd. i never had any trouble with it and its probably one of the easiest linux distro's.

(p.s. have u already searched the website of your network card producer?)

gl