Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

WinXP Administrator?

0 0

I like giving myself challenges so that i can learn by solving them. The last challenge i've given myself is to get administrative rights on a Windows XP machine with only a restricted user. I actually thought that would be pretty easy, i tried creating a new user: Net user /add IICybeII and then moving it to the administrator group: Net localgroup administrators /add IICybeII

But unfortunately (for me) i'm not allowed to create a user when i'm not logged in as administrator. I've tried some different things; putting it in a batch file, and tried to make that start up automaticly (so that it, in theory, would be started next time an admin logged on), but since both folders and the registry was locked for editing from a restricted user, i couldn't do that either :(

I'm pretty sure there's a simple way of doing this (it's just windows' own security were talking about!), but i can't find any other solution to this problem, than asking for help… So; Will anyone give me a hint?

0 0

yeah i tried this at my school also. The bloomy bastards blocked out batch files frmo working…i guess that doesnt surprise me. its just cmd prompt if you break it down. Anyways, good luck.

0 0

Try starting the computer in safe mode. This often has an Administrative account with NO password

0 0

mozzer, how do you do taht? ive heard of it, but never done it, nor do i know how you go about doing it.

0 0

Simple, boot the computer when it's on that BIOS screen press F2 or F12 can't remember to get into the boot menu, …

0 0

IICybeII wrote: I like giving myself challenges so that i can learn by solving them. The last challenge i've given myself is to get administrative rights on a Windows XP machine with only a restricted user. I actually thought that would be pretty easy, i tried creating a new user: Net user /add IICybeII and then moving it to the administrator group: Net localgroup administrators /add IICybeII

But unfortunately (for me) i'm not allowed to create a user when i'm not logged in as administrator. I've tried some different things; putting it in a batch file, and tried to make that start up automaticly (so that it, in theory, would be started next time an admin logged on), but since both folders and the registry was locked for editing from a restricted user, i couldn't do that either :(

I'm pretty sure there's a simple way of doing this (it's just windows' own security were talking about!), but i can't find any other solution to this problem, than asking for help… So; Will anyone give me a hint?

could you add it to autoexec.bat as start whateveristhenameofyourbatch.bat and then it would open it when they logged on (or anyone for that matter)

i think the default for safe mode selection is f8….or atleast thats what its always been on mine….

0 0

ok ill try that, thanks.

0 0

GODD wrote:

could you add it to autoexec.bat as start whateveristhenameofyourbatch.bat and then it would open it when they logged on (or anyone for that matter)

i think the default for safe mode selection is f8….or atleast thats what its always been on mine….

Unfortunately that file is also read-only for restricted users. I'll try to boot up in Safe mode soon, and if that doesn't work i'll try with a boot disk…. 0ofcourse i will write my results inhere when i'm done..