Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Why Linux?

0 0

I alwasy see peopel saying windows sucks and linux is better. I'm building computerand I was thining about dual booting XP and a Linux distrobution (not yet sure). Then i asked myself why. Everyone is always bashing windows but i have no problem with it, can anyone give me a reason linux is better? (i'm not saying linux ia bad)

0 0

its not better. its all a matter of opinion. personally i think the people who say its better are just trying to seem cool and hate microsoft just cuase other people do.

i prefer windows. stick with what you know.

0 0

well, i have several reasons why linux is better. id love to share but there is a small probelm with that

1. its late thus i am tired
  2. no one cares about what i think
  3. any thing i say will most likely end up with me geting yellad for somthing
  4. im lazy
  5. im lazy if you actuall care to know what i think eather add me on MSN PM me or email me (every thing it on my profile) Peace im goin to bed.

0 0

err, personally i have no problem w/ windows ( but i do have a problem w/ the corporation microsft and bill gates, but that's for another day :p)

I, however, choose to use FreeBSD (not linux, it's a *nix OS) more for the heck of it, and the experience. I have found though that Unix is a more stable if you treat it right, as I have had windows fail on me upon several ocasions, and far quicker in general, both in boot/shutdown, and general use. You also don't have to worry about spyware/viruses (there are so few that they are not worth worying about), and with an OS like FreeBSD, which has an excelent package management system (ports) installing packages is a breeze and it's fun watching all the text fly by when it's compiling :p. But you should by no means switch to a *nix OS because otehrs tell you to do so. Windows is just fine, and despite what people may tell you, you can accomplishi teh exact same thing in Windows as you could in *nix. *NIX, however, is far more customizeable, and if you're up to some reading, it can be a very powerful OS.

Wsoprulz1299

0 0

Why Linux? Why not? It never hurts to try something new ;)

0 0

I heard people say that Linux is more flexible. Exactly what that means I have no idea. If anyone could explain it it would be appreciated.:)

0 0

for me id say linux "feels" better than windows i think windows is missing something that linux has

0 0

I personally use Windows for my every day stuff, because of beautiful Wizards and compatability, if i download something for windows, 95% says it will install correctally and run fine (not to mention the hours ive put into vb6), but i use Linux for kicking around and wrighting i know that ANYthing i dont like about the system, if i devote my time to it, i can change it, and no giant corperation is in control of my experiance;)

0 0

I heard people say that Linux is more flexible. Exactly what that means I have no idea. If anyone could explain it it would be appreciated.:)

0 0

it is more flexible because:

-you have the source code and can reprogram it -it is not a whole package like windows, all you would need is the Kernel

0 0

When we were discussing the topic of people such as IBM/Intel/Windows/AMD, etc, forming one large group and controlling how computesr work…well i mean, they would control all the software that is produced. U wud have to have a certain code or seomthign for the program to work, and it has to be paid for…anyone remember what i am talking about? sry i cant explain better…anyways, doesnt windows alrady have a little of this incorporated?

0 0

…I like linux because it's free, can be changed, and as an IT professional it has taught me things that Windows couldn't. But I have to say I am with the rest of them use what you know and are comfortable with. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't hack with Windows…lol, because it's not true. I mean I hacked a linux box and shut it down as a joke (in less than 10 minutes that is…)

0 0

**Axiom_Prophet wrote:**Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't hack with Windows…lol, because it's not true.

infact there are some hacks that can only be executed from a Windows box (there isnt a netBIOS hack emulator on *nix is there?)

0 0

personally i like to use linux because it seems to be faster than windows, i like the software alot better, and i defintally like gnome alot better than the windows shell or aston shell.
there are alot more reasons but its hard to explain

0 0

Can anyone prove a distro is opensource and post me a link to some source (not the kernel the distro).

I have had no luck and I've been searching for 3 months but then I am blind so can someone put me out of my misery

0 0

a distro is made up of the Kernel and other tools,which may or may not be open source, if you want all of the scode, youll probably have to search individually

0 0

Mr_Cheese made an post about this ages ago so if you can find it, it is well worth a read