Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

boot from usb

0 0

ok. i have bought a new notebook (acer aspire 5022 with amd turion64) with windows on it and i have this question… i want to install linux also, but on an external hard disk with usb connection (that i havent bought yet), so there will be no need to format windows, and i dont know if i can boot from usb. can anyone tell me how can i find out if this work (before i buy the external usb of course…). also, if i use grub, can i boot from the usb hard disk?

p.s. at bios, doesnt say anything about booting from usb. is says only hard disk, cd, floppy,…

0 0

I think it's possible, and I've heard people have done it, but I'm not completely sure.

0 0

you can boot from USB but i don't know how. tell me if some1 know how to boot from USB :D

0 0

This is a great no nonsense site to get started with a bootable usb drive.

http://www.weethet.nl/english/hardware_bootfromusbstick.php

There are plenty of linux resources in this regard as well, but that site lists those too. You must set the option in your bios to boot from usb. If you don't see a USB flash drive as a boot option, try USB floppy disk. If you don't see such an option, don't panic. Laptops often use a downloadable program that you can use to set such an option (use it in windows). I've used them with Toshibas before, but never an Acer. I'm sure they have something similiar though.

HTH

0 0

i somehow screwed up my Mainbord and i had to be replaced. if i now have usb devices pluged in/on it will auto track them down and ask for a "working" disk. i guess i'll just need a right image to boot from usb.

so all you need is a mainbord that supports this or a BIOS update. and ofcourse the right "image" on your usb device. (i use a 'ASUS K8N DeLuxe - updated' mainbord)

0 0

I frequently boot from a usb flash drive with dsl on it. Try going to damnsmallinux.org and trying their program.