Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Ubuntu 5.10 LiveCD

0 0

When I insert the LiveCD and boot it starts up and gives an error: system is using wrong IRQ

what could be the problem?

0 0

Hmm, I've never used Ubunto, but I may be able to help.

An IRQ is basically a way to interface with hardware (not that I am not by any means a low level system API expert. If someone is and they read this, please correct any of this that is wrong or lacking). It seems that Ubunto is calling the wrong IRQ (duh). Which basically adds up to, the OS can't talk to the hardware.

No idea how to fix this, see if is possible to boot into a comamnd prompt or into the kernal and then see what it outputs. Maybe by looking at the error messages you'll be able to fix it. BTW, if you can get a command prompt, type:

dmesg | less

That will output the kernal ring buffer to the less command (which for the technically oriented is a pager). You can then use the arrow keys to scroll up and down, looking for errors. You might also try:

dmesg | grep -i "irq" | less

That will pull out the string "IRQ" (case insensitive) from the dmesg command, and then shoot it off to less.

Sorry if any of that was unclear, but I'm dead tired ATM (just got back from practice).

BTW, do you really want to use Ubunto? They have had a record number of kernal vulns in the past 2 months (something like 20),