Welcome to HBH! If you have tried to register and didn't get a verification email, please using the following link to resend the verification email.

Linux

0 0

Who here uses linux?

i personally use SuSE 9.1 pro.

please post which distro you use. (knoppix included :D)

0 0

Fedora Core 3 :D

Actually really interested in seeying how many use linux.

One quick tip for the non users, if you get the chance, switch to linux :) Just started using it and allready addicted :)

0 0

lol, very true. linux is very very addictive!!! i've been using it since the olympics :D

0 0
  • Linux doesn't spy on you at every move you make! AND IT's OPEN SOURCE :D -> simply the best

0 0

I don't use Linux yet (except knoppix ;) ), but I am planning to install it. Any advice which distribution to start from first hand?

0 0

i would say suse because of yast ((yet another system tool) - it install rpms and shit as well as sets up server things) but it doesn't have dvd play back (german laws!!!) so i would say mandrake or fedora 3 (it has a good community, i think?). anyway install it on a second hard disc - trust me you dont want to fuck around with partitioning!!!!

0 0

Yes you do :D it's not that hard. But you have to know what you are doing :) I would recommend Fedora Core 3, it has the rpm and good community. You can find anything online but that goes for all distro's really. The only thing that you are certain of is that you gotta switch to linux, believe me :) It's heaven :)

But i don't have that much exp with other distro's. But don't throw away your windows yet , dual boot with the bootloaders. You still need them occasionally, like i do for vb.

0 0

Read the TT1 *NIX: number three article! Basically, I'd suggest Mandriva or Debian to a newbie, despite personal preference. No one with half a brain can deny that Mandriva is easy, and handles automounting well. FC3 is ok, but Debian has a nice community and can handle RPMS as well with Alien <rpm> | dpkg. Suse is ok, but I would suggest it for someone with a linux history.

I personally use Slackware, Debian, Solaris, and FreeBSD.

0 0

*bringing new life in the linux thread :)

I use gnome desktop fc 3 wich i would recommend to everybody ;)

The only difference is, i had to make partitions etc to install it cause i didn't have an extra disk and fc 3 doesn't have build in ntfs format compactibility. So after you install it you have to make a few changes and get yourself a different kernel. But all that shit was great. Let's put it this way : if windows goes bad => blue screen reboot, bad clusters, hdd busted, reinstall, new hardware if linux goes bad => you open terminal , open the malfunctioning thing, fix it, and go back to what you where doing

MUCH more stable, MUCH more freedom MUCH more fun

Cheers and if anybody wants help with the ntfs format etc i can give you links and tips and help etc,

oww yeah and linux has a BIG community :D

0 0

can you not view ntfs partitions? i know linux cant write to ntfs because m$ aint given out the IDE or something, but you should be able to read! try just mounting it or go to [uel]www.linuxquestions.org[/url]

0 0

yeah that's just it, stupid microsoft. But like i said there is a big project for making linux compactible with ntfs partitions. And yes i can view and read from them but in fc 3 you have to first get the right rpm for your system, install it, then it rewrites your kernel. After that you have to alter your fstab file for the auto - mounting. IN suse if i'm not mistaking it's build in (the reading, not sure about the automounting)

0 0

I use SUSE 9.1 as well. Not as my main OS, that's Windows, i've yet to learn how to play .wma files on linux without having to d/l anything, that's why i still use Windows as my main OS.

0 0

yeah suse auto-mounts but it always buggers up grub so i have to fix the grub setting to boot windows, maybe its becasue i didn't do any partitioning and have each os on there own hdd. I love yast and i believe, if i'm not mistaken that it is being realised by novell.

0 0

I mainly use Microsoft Windows 95 for its rock solid stability and multi-tasking.

0 0

nights_shadow wrote: I use SUSE 9.1 as well. Not as my main OS, that's Windows, i've yet to learn how to play .wma files on linux without having to d/l anything, that's why i still use Windows as my main OS.

ah that was a bitch but i found a really easy way to get it working by installing mplayer:

2. Open YaST Modules
3. Open Software
4. Open &quot;Change Installation Source&quot;
5. Add &quot;HTTP&quot;
6. As Server: &quot;packman.iu-bremen.de&quot; Without Quotes
7. As Directory: &quot;suse/9.2&quot; (If you are using 9.1 enter &quot;suse/9.1&quot;) Without Quotes
8. Open Install and Remove Software
9. Search for Mplayer
10. Install```

0 0

thanks SF, i'll try it when i get home, which should be in like an hour, class ends in eight minutes and i got a 45 minute bus-ride

0 0

Two things- In your initial post you said "(even knoppix)," and I'd just like to clarify something about it. Knoppix is a Debian based distrobution, much like Ubuntu/Kubutu. It uses the same FS, Kernel, Apt, and RC scripts. The only difference is Knoppix has three system types, bare, debian, and multi-user on install, and that it automatically sets KDE to be the initial Window Manager. Yes, knoppix is also a Live-Linux distrobution, but it's not much different than Debian. It also includes a few minor security tools, but nothing that would make a newbie into a 'l33t hax0r,' they're just tools that only experts would get use out of.

Also, MPlayer alone will not make windows media files work. The base installation, at least the .deb package, does not include Windows codec. Just go to the Mplayer site and grab the package of extra codecs, and you'll be set.

At the moment, I'm reinstalling Solaris on my 40gb, running FreeBSD as a gateway on a 20gb, Slackware for my Wireless accesspoint/router, and Kubuntu on my main 200gb hd. At the moment I'm only using Kubuntu for its inclusion of KDE 3.4, something Debian's Woody/Sarge do/will not include right off. I personally dislike Kubuntu over Debian, but I have no real choice when I want a debian-base system.

0 0

scankyfrank wrote: can you not view ntfs partitions? i know linux cant write to ntfs because m$ aint given out the IDE or something, but you should be able to read! try just mounting it or go to [uel]www.linuxquestions.org[/url]

That's not true. Its a seperate kernel module you have to install, (for writing to NTFS,) still in alpha testing. Plus, I think he meant FC3 will not install onto an NTFS partition.

0 0

thousandtoone wrote:

Also, MPlayer alone will not make windows media files work. The base installation, at least the .deb package, does not include Windows codec. Just go to the Mplayer site and grab the package of extra codecs, and you'll be set.

yeah, thats why i did it through yast, it installs all the codecs and stuff which mplayer needs.

thousandtoone wrote: That's not true. Its a seperate kernel module you have to install, (for writing to NTFS,) still in alpha testing. Plus, I think he meant FC3 will not install onto an NTFS partition.

cool, i didn't know that… i will definately install it when it's released!!

0 0

It IS released. I don't remember the package name, but at it's available.

0 0

I use Ubuntu…version 5.04 for intel x86

0 0

yeah, im downloadin Ubuntu 5.04 now, but i cant find any free partitioning software!! its pissin me off, cos i cant buy any programs, i need to find a free one!

im downloadin PHLAK as well, cos it will fit on my shitty 600mb blank CD's :p

Where is that flash tutorial on how to install Knoppix? i watched it once and it helped, but i cant find it now!

0 0

Hey All,

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ is the site detailing the kernel module that allows access to ntfs partitions. Currently it only allows read access but in its favour it seems very stable.

It is possible to enable read/write access on ntfs partitions with a little bit of effort. If you download the kernel source (makes sence to copy over your existing kernel build config so ya don't mess anything else up) when you are selecting options for kernel compilation "xconfig" in filesystems->ntfs-> there is an option to enable write support (does not support encrypted or compressed drives) but I would stress this is experimental code.

Remember its possible to view linux drives (ext2/ext3 but not unfortunatly RieserFS) with windows with programs such as Explore2fs http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

Finally, to continue the discussion on Distros, I'm really fond of Fedora Core (having tried Mandrake, Xandros, Lycoris, Knoppix). Its a professional looking (thanks to bluecurve) and stable distrobution. It comes with carefully selected (key) software which means you don't end up with 3 programs doing the same thing (waste of space) leaving plenty of room to add what you prefer/need. With such a strong community, great support for rpm and tools such as synaptic this is easy. It could be argued that its lack of multimedia support is a weakness but thanks to http://freshrpms.net/ its so easy to add packages solving this.

0 0

Well use several linuxes all together :) Just boot in knoppix and as you can see in the irongeek tutorial it has a build in partitioning program, you should be able to use that to create a new partition. Then install ubuntu.

I could be wrong here, cause it's all theoretical and i havn't tried it out yet but it should work ;)

post if you have any problems etc

0 0

Its fabulous to see Linux spreading but I'm not sure about all the fuss over Knoppix, I used it a while back and it was so slow till you installed it to harddrive (defeating the point of it as a "live" distro) at which point I found, probably due to its roots as a live distro, it was much harder to get prebuilt rpms that it was for the traditional RedHat/Fedora/Mandrake, etc.

Also, remember there are other live distros than Knoppix. Mandrake and SuSe have both released versions of their os that run form CD. (Mandrake Move & SuSe Live) These are aimed at giving you a taste before you try the full distro. Also about is Morphix which is based on Knoppix but is modular so ya get to "roll your own" distro which you can then use as a Live CD.

The windows like distros (Lycoris, Xandros) are great for family PCs when the rest don't wanna dump windows. (Lycoris, Xandros) but they are less flexible. SuSE & Fedora seem to be very popular (strong communities and software options)

Seriously folks, compilings great but ya only tend to see benefits when you have optimised core maths librarys, etc (think the librarys (not programs) taking care of zip file extraction/mp3 playback etc). its a shame then that these tend to come already built with your distro. Unless ya use Gentoo which compiles everything.

0 0

yeah, i just need to partition it, i might try out that Knoppix thing, i have PHLAK and Ubuntu that i want to try out, but i cant partition my stupid hard drive.

fucking stupid trial versions dont let you commit your changes!

0 0

Im currently on Windows XP because its my mom computer and so far i cant seem to get my 2Wire Home Portal back up and cant set up my Whoppix LiveCD. I like Whoppix Easy to use! :D

0 0

i currently have RedHat Linux 9 on one of my boxes and Gentoo 2004:2 on another

i cant stand windows. once you get used to linux, its impossible to go back ;)

0 1

n3w7yp3 wrote: i cant stand windows. once you get used to linux, its impossible to go back ;)

yeah, but its ashame that 99% of games are for windows. If i wasnt a heavy gamer i'd use linux without a doubt!!

0 0

Thats why when i go to college in july im dual booting with windows 98 and Whoppix. Good ole gamer here!! ;)

0 0

Well to all the heavy gamers, there is still hope :D

just make your graphics card working and use a windows emulator, there are alot of them available.

They make a virtual copy of your windows libraries, so they would support alot of games. So if sb cares to try out i can give some good links, but i havn't got the chance to try it out yet.

But i will do once i get my other graphics card back.

• linux is alot more stable and faster so that's much better for your games cause it uses less system resources so more resources for your games ;)

0 0

SHIT! im on my dad's computer which is on a Wireless Network, connected to my computer. On my computer i have a dual partition, which is running Ubuntu 5.04 and Windows XP. Ubuntu has just been installed, but BootMagic did not install properly, and the stuipd rescue disks for Partition Magic do not work!! I can not configure my Wireless network, because i didnt check to see if it is for windows only :p so i cant get back into XP. :s. is pretty sad, i dont know why i am having all these stupid problems. When i try to run the driver installer it just says something like Can Not Open '/username/install.exe' or whatever. It is really pissin me off. If i have to i can just install XP Over ubuntu, then download Partition Magic again, and delete the partition to go back to my old windows, is this what i should do?

0 0

Well i'm guessing you use 2 hdd IN that case you should be able to just change wich hdd to boot from in your bios settings so restart the comp then redo the bios settings for the booting and you should be able to get back to winXP without any trouble.

Let me know if you have any trouble or if you can't do that i'll help you out further

0 0

its ok, thanks anyway guys, im back online! i just reinstalled XP :p but i didnt really need any of the shit on here, i have Dreamweaver and Flash and stuff all backed up, but i wonder what ill do about PaintShop Pro…

coughAresCough

0 0

Well if you want to install a linux distro make sure the bootloader is installed properly, post wich distro you are going to use and someone will help you out so you can start exploring the wonderfull world of linux lol ;)

0 0

yeah, i would have been fine if my stupid Wireless LAN worked, i wouldnt have had to put XP back on, Linux would have been fine for me, but it wouldnt work, so i just reinstalled XP

0 0

Well post every detail you can find on the hardware of your wireless lan and maybe somebody with the same problem that fixed it once could help you.

also www.google.com/linux/ is a good alternative for the searching ;)

0 0

ok thanks, but im getting a new computer soon, ill get linux on that

0 0

Linux is still having some support issues with WLANS. there are many cards that work however. a good site where you can check for compatibility is Prisim54.org (or just use good old google ;) )

and if you really want to play games on Linux that are ment for Windows you can just use WINE. i'm not a gamer at all so i don't have that particular problem ;)

0 0

thats one thing everyone should do, check if there hardware is supported suse has a good database for things it supports out the box. Also why do you have to drop windows? windows is still good, wine sucks for games i think. I mean is good but i'd prefer to keep windows and have my games working that us wine.

0 0

i recently recieved my cd of knoppix. i love linux it took a couple of trickts to get it to run on my sony laptop (could not access bios) but i got it working now. im currently building a desktop and trying to decide on which distro to install. i like knoppix but seems to load webpages a lot slower than my winxp. also i have a problem loading knoppix onto my desktop. i donot currently have a hard drive in the machine but i do have enough mem for it to run very nicely. so here it is: when i boot from the cd everythings fine until it starts unpacking the kernal. then i get an error saying kernal panic cannot create rootfs. what am i doing wrong does it need to have some form of physical disk to write to?

0 0

How did you get into your bios? Cause i'm trying to install knoppix on my laptop but i can't access my bios os i can't make adjustements.

I forgot how to do it once, i tried keyboard error, esc, del , f1, f2, ctrl+alt+s,ctrl+alt+enter, ctrl+alt+esc, almost everything i remembered but still no bios.

0 0

the kernal panic message is usually because it cant find a directory called initrd. this is a top level dir. it is normally empty (and it should be). it has no other use excpet for when the box is booting.

0 0

I run Ubuntu Its easy and fun Im having trouble with my network card on it though so i have to use windows for the moment while i find a driver:@

0 0

linux is too frusturating for me to try to install, and im too lazy to go buy a burnable cd

0 0

<<<<<<<<<<<although the mandrake penguin is the coolest

0 0

The SUSE Logo owns you!!

0 0

lol, yes the suse logo is cool, though i think the older one was rubbish. Too lazy to install linux? your joking right :P? :)

0 0

I dont know how to partition my hard drive, and i dont have time to go buy cd's

0 0

you dont have to partition your hard drive linux does it for you (well the more user friendly ones do). though i dont like partitioning.

0 0

You do have to do it using fdisk i think.. on Gentoo and Slackware(The ones without graphical user interfaces)

0 0

Just make sure you have a bit of free space on your hdd. If this is the case almost every user friendly distro you use should partition for you etc.

If you are planning on using F'edora Core 3 i can walk you thrue the whole partitioning thingy. If you just want to know how to partition folow the partitioning bit on the irongeek tutorial about installing knoppix on hdd, it's basically the same for each distro.

And if you really are taht lazy (wich is fine by me :D ) just get linspire It's basically windows with the linux kernel =)

Hope some of this motivated you lol

0 0

And if you really are taht lazy (wich is fine by me ) just get linspire It's basically windows with the linux kernel =) What a waste of a perfectly good kernel whats the point?

0 0

user friendlyness, big hardware support and good installer that's why i said basically windows (for the installing that is) ;)

0 0

most linux distros nowadays provide easy partitioning. If you are going to make a dual booting box, you can use FIPS to clear out room in windows and then go and install Linux on the free space

0 0

wow dont you kill the fun :( its just been a while since anyone acctually posted on this

0 0

My sony has 250 gb hard drive

Do i really need to have any more space open :p0

0 0

New sonys have 400, they own me :(

0 0

My Dreams to achieve in the next 4 years 2 x 500Gb HDD's 100Mb/s

0 0

what would you need all that for? lol

0 0

host my own website.. i dunno just for fun i'd fill it up in no time

0 0

slackware 10.1 i hated redhat

0 0

LOL 1 terra :D aahg the possibilities :) Well i just did some new things with linux and for the ones that don't know http://www.toms.net/rb/ andhttp://hysteria.sk/brutalware/.

2 small distro's , the first fits on floppy, the second alot of hacking tools (2 floppies). It has possibilities :) ( of course there is always http://www.knoppix-std.org/ for the real l33t :) )

Well personally since i use fc3 i think red hat isn't that bad but i'm gonna install slackware in like 3 weeks so i'll see "what i missed all those years" :)

0 0

pwnmstr wrote: slackware 10.1 i hated redhat

Whats wrong with redhat? I've never used it but i though it was suppost to be really good?

0 0

Why do you need 3CD's to install something? Suse comes on 1-2 just like Slackware and Ubuntu and all that jaz

0 0

whoppix http://www.whoppix.net is a pretty good distro. it is a live CD that is meant for pen testers (all sorts of goodies ;) ). it is based off of knoppix.

some people don't like RedHat cause they feel that it is too much like Mircosoft. Also, RH is not one of the most secure distros. but i dont have a problem with it….

0 0

That's just because red hat is more user friendly, for as much as i know about linux, fedora core 3 is a good distro to start with so in that case red hat is a good thing.

If you get better in linux, just switch to another distro. Gentoo for instance has some very good advantages but it's not really newbie friendly. So red hat does what it has to quite nice. Of course everyone is entitled to his own opinion so this is all just my own opinion. Don't want to get a distro war starting lol :D

WIN 3.1 POWNS THEM ALL ;)

0 0

My friend uses gentoo its pretty much a command line installer so not for newbies

0 0

for my laptop i googled for a boot disk found the boot.img and put it on a flopy stuck that in my floppy and it booted from the cd.

also what should i do about my kernal panic problem. the computer has no operating os. 521 of mem and currently a 4Gb hdd i got for free. it also says in idle task not syncing. plz help i hope there is something i can do

0 0

well about Linux, are you gonna install it as your OS or do you want to make a dual boot? the kernal panic is because the kernal cant boot for some reason. If you want to use Linux as your OS, just install it like you would anyother OS

0 0

Knoppix :P only just got it…

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: Knoppix :P only just got it…

knoppix rocks, are you installing it or just using it to see what linux is? I was just using it today to demonstrate how to get windows passwords to my uncle.

0 0

To your uncle oO hmm educate him so he can do it :P knoppix isnt that bad as a live CD i've nver installe it so i dont know

0 0

Im currently useing a whoppix live cd version. I finally (after about a month) got it to work with my network card. now i just have to find out how to use the rest of it!!! LOL

0 0

Man you should really check out the demo's on whoppix.

IT's a great pentest distro, alot of db's etc like n3w7yp3 said. I might download it once, but currently like everyone i use knoppix :D

0 0

Thank anarcho-hippie i just got whopix its…cool, anyway erm i ahd it monted int my cd drvie for a while so both…..

I have NTFS so i cant do much :(

0 0

yea liveCD's are cool. but they are nowhere near as good as when you have an actual Linux install on your HD. and not a dual boot either ;)

just take the plunge and switch to Linux cold turkey ;)

0 0

Well right now my windows 98 box is on the frits. For some reason it wont read the graphics card which is really weird because it read it before i formated it (Long story.) Anyways my Live Whoppix works fine with it. But i was wondering how to partition my Hard Drive so i could dual boot it with my whoppix. ( Only dual because its my dads computer and he wont approve) Anyone with some help?

0 0

well dual boot with whoppix is going to actually be more difficult that using a normal linux distro. but it can be done.

the first thing to do is install Windows, but do not take up the whole HD (re-partitioning can be a pain in the ass). next copy the whoppix boot dir onto your HD (sorry i am not sure what this is called :-/ ). you will still have to boot from the CD but it should eject itself once booting is finished. You may also need to get a bootloader in order to do a dual boot using this method (the best boot loader is, in my opinion, GRUB ). Also, note that i never said that tese instructions are exactly correct, or that the system will be fst and/or stable. you're pretty much on your own if you pick this route ;)

like i said it is more trouble than it is worth. just get RedHat or a normal Linux distro and set up a dual boot using that. It will come with a boot loader and will be a much eaiser install (and will be more stable) ;)

gl

0 0

kool thanks. Would you recomend a linux distro that a noob would use?

0 0

Fedora Core 3 is user friendly, so is Suse. Those two are the most common to start with. It has decent hardware support and user friendlyness, fedora core 3 uses Gnome as a desktop enviroment where as Suse uses KDE for that. It's a bit of a personal choice really, of course there are other distro's but those 2 are good to start with.

I use Fedora Core 3 and i can say i'm pretty pleased with it. Quick install, gui nice, etc etc.

But you can't go wrong with other distro's, some are just a bit harder to start with.

0 0

I like RedHat. it is a pretty user friendly distro, but it is powerful. you can dl fedora for free off of redhat's site (http://www.redhat.com) or you could get The RedHat Linux 9 Bible which comes with the OS. If you opt for the bible, be warned that it is older and RedHat no longer provides support for it. but i still use it and it is cool. Mandrake is alos good and so is SuSe. just look around and try to find a distro that suits your needs ;)

as for a choice of desktop, the 2 best ones are KDE and Gnome. KDE was designed to rival the Mac and Windows for user friendlyness, so it is good for newbies. However i prefer Gnome. Gnome is also very easy to use (i started on it). i would say go for Gnome! (but i'm biased towards Gnome, so go for whichever one suits your needs ;) )

also, regardless of whcih distro you choose, dont always stick to the GUI. expirencing Linux from bash (or your shell of choice) is a much more rewarding expirence!

gl

0 0

see i dont have an existing os to launch from and i dont have a hard drive to install to. i still want to know how i can fix the kernal panic.

0 0

added new bit to my banner

0 0

okay well there are several things you can do in this situation. if you install Linux as your pirmary OS, you dont need another OS to launch from. as to the HD problem, try going into your BIOS, and setting your primary IDE device as your CD drive. boot off of a floppy and have it run the OS from the CD. not sure if this will work, but hey it is worth a shot (i kow for a fact you could boot into runlevel 3 like this….)

as too the kernal panic, what exactly does the error message say?

0 0

If you change your boot to the cd it will run streight from the cd but i dont think it will fix your problem. that is unless you reinstall it from the cd.

0 0

already booting from cd. still get kernal panic. going to go take it to a ntlug meeting and see what they can do about it. the only prob. is that they havnt posted their june meeting yet. anybody got any info on north texas LUG.

0 0

I have an iBook G4 running Tiger and I wanna see why everyone says linux is so good. I have virtual PC on my laptop running windows 98. Would I be able to install linux onto the emulation that I have for windows 98 or am I just being a dumbass? I have never found a mac installable version of linux. There isn't one is there? Does anyone else out there use mac?

0 0

pepe wrote: I have an iBook G4 running Tiger and I wanna see why everyone says linux is so good. I have virtual PC on my laptop running windows 98. Would I be able to install linux onto the emulation that I have for windows 98 or am I just being a dumbass? I have never found a mac installable version of linux. There isn't one is there? Does anyone else out there use mac?

linux can be installed on a mac, theres a distro called yellow dog which is just for macs: http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ . i think you can install linux using virtual linux, i've never done it but it does create a fake harddrive on the real one for the OS being emulated. I'm sure that SuSE and mandrake support ppc aswell. you just have to find the iso for it.

0 0

Lots of distros support ppc now(from what i've seen anyway)http://www.distrowatch.com

0 0

Linux for every-one :) Yeah for a mac yellowdog is the most popular .

0 0

Ubuntu is being a bitch now :/ wont let me change my splash screen

0 0

dont go for some eumlation of Linux. just format Windows off of your HD and put Linux on it for real.

0 0

If anyone is still hacking with windows they seriously need to make a change. it was once said that "hacking in windows is like dancing in a body cast". A good distro is suse 9.2 as it has now been updated with many more features including a dvd player.

0 0

well linux is good for more than just being a hacking OS. it's a fully featured OS, and way better then windows ;)

0 0

I might swap to Linux.

0 0

go ahead, you'll never regret it :)

0 0

I use slackware 10.1.

0 0

i fixed my problem. i took it to as linux user meeting i had set something wrong in my bios. i will make the switch when i can succesfully run itunes in linux fully featured (i.e. itunes music store) until then im still a windows slave. if you know how to either get free songs from itunes or how to run it in linux pm me.

0 0

this is the 100th post hjahahahahahah

Lover of Parkour
0 0

I have thought of starting LFs (linux from scratch) just as a fun little project, what do you guys think? I havn't REALLY used linux. Just a little knoppix. But I think it would be fun to work on it strait. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thx NC

P.S: can you specify commands in the terminal? is there a file where you can tell it that if you type "ask terminal" then it'll go and run something?

0 0

i dont have a clue how LFS works… i dont know were to begin. I dont think its very good for people new to linux. I think if your going to start linux go with slackware, its good if you want to learn linux.

0 0

yes i am the third one to post since it was unlocked!

0 0

i use suSe 9.3 in a few minnuts about to be 10.0 :) yay

0 0

Yeah I'm downloading SuSE 10 (SRC DVD 4.4GB ) @ 841KB…. god I LOVE my new 8mb line :D

Never actually used SuSE before, started with RedHat but got rid as soon as they went commercial (tsk tsk) then turned to Debian, always used FreeBSD on other machine, gonna be interesting to see how SuSE compares to RedHat/Debian ;)

0 0

i use gentoo 2005.1 stage 3. i recommend this for anyone looking for an easy to maintain distro.

0 0

I installed gentoo 2005.1 stage 3 a few months back it was a nice distro although i had a lot of trouble setting up the network and the GRUB loader but it was a nice distro but Ubuntu is the only distro for me strokes the hard drive :P

0 0

i use fedora core 4 and have no idea why "linux is better than windows"

0 0

Slodave wrote: I don't use Linux yet (except knoppix ;) ), but I am planning to install it. Any advice which distribution to start from first hand?

Try using ubuntu they ship it for free check http://ubuntu.com to download for free or https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ to get it shipped

0 0

I use Ubuntu Version 5.04

i really dont have a problem with it i get it on cd for free all dont pay shiping or for the cd so that cool and well its LINUX i just ordered the new version 5.10 friday and well yeah i cant wait to get my hands on that plus i dont have to pay $80 for it like most people have to unless they download it yeah…

ubuntu is an operationg system consisting entirely of free nad open source software. with ubuntu you can surf the web, read email, create documents, spreadsheets and more! Ubuntu gives you power and flexibility for business and education, at home or in the office.

ubuntu is easy to install, free of viruses, and perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. ubuntu is community developed, commercially supported, and offers free security updates. a new version is released every six months.

"ubuntu" is an ancient african word that means " humanity towards other". it embodies the spirit of open source software, which is built by the best software practitioners for the benefit of all humanity.

plus you are legally entitled and encouraged to copy, share and redistribute the cd for yourself and your friends. share the spirit of ubuntu!

if you want more information go to WWW.UBUNTU.COM

0 0

Ubuntu is not that great, stop obsessing.

Hurry up and get into the rootme challenge. Most of you claim to know some linux stuff, so see how you stand compared even a weak implementation of FreeBSD. Tons of classic 'stupid admin' mistakes and vulnerable software. Get on it.

0 0

To reply to Neo_Chalchus, It's long and difficult way to make a LFS. If I remember, you have to start with your existant distro and a chrooted partition where you build a minimal system from the source.

0 0

Theres ubuntu 5.10 ffs :P I use ubuntu (removed for something i said earlier that contradicted myself)

0 0

Well i use Fedora Core 4 dual booted with Windows Xp Home. Best of 2 worlds. I tried to install Mandrake but my laptop didnt like it :(

0 0

suse

0 0

Dual Boot Mac OS X Tiger and Ubuntu 5.10 on my iBook :)

0 0

i tried Mepis 3.3.1-1 (ordered it by the internet). It is my favorite distro from all that i tested (mandrake, kubuntu 5.04SOHO, vectorlinux, and maybe,if wine will work on it, better than slax v5.0.6 Kill Bill Edition) but it cannot detect my Realtek RTL8139 card. F1(help) pls i m using windows xp again and i'm looosing control( +alt +delete) here.

My first personal rule on os'es: "An os that can't use the internet and can't execute windows programs, is an X-os 4 me" :P

0 0

I just installed Fedora Core 4 this morning. I think it's better than Windows in performance, but the popularity of Linux programs makes them hard to find compared to Windows products. Also, my soundcard isn't being detected so I'm in silence until I figure that out.

Before FC4, I've only ever used livecds. I got tired of them, that's what motivated me to install FC.

0 0

Lol I have the same prob Xero except with ubuntu I think it might just be mny sound card i'm gonna buy a new audigy soon anyway possibly tommorow but i like you choice in distro FC4 is a very nice one

0 0

I dont use LINUX as much as i should. I have a duel-boot on my computer. But whenever i do use LINUX, its worth it.

0 0

What kind of DB? Two Hard Drives or one HD with a Windows partition and three Linux partitions? By the way, Linux isn't all caps (no offense, just saying.)

0 0

Linux is for losers.

Boycott Linux.

I can honestly say I don't run Linux.

Linux is a skanky night mistress.

Screw Linux.

0 0

quiet BSD boy

0 0

I ordered Ubuntu 5.10 and I'm dying to try it out but when i boot from LiveCD it gives this weird error: Wrong IRQ or something like that.

0 0

DamnSmallLinux's damn small :D But on a more serious note, I can't wait for FC5 in 3 months.. :)

0 0

Im on SuSE 10 and yeah it is simply amazing the GUI is super but the thing i hate is that i cant really watch things and all my stuff is in like avi codec

0 0

Isnt there a program that converts that? I swear I have heard something about that. I dont remember. Im running under Windows, BUT I do run my notebook on Whoppix 2.7. Its really kool, but I think I might decide on try out something new.

0 0

Yeah, you can use Wine to run real player which will play AVI files… at the moment, I'm booting on Ubuntu 5.10 on a crapass comp I found in my attic and scrapped windows off of it.

0 0

I'm a newbie at linux but I have gentoo 2005.1 on both my laptop and PC.

0 0

heh BJPanther wanna install gentoo on my laptop im feckin lazy and having issues with wireless

0 0

I use fedora c4 for my main OS, then I'll boot knoppix STD for other stuff.

0 0

Linux r0x5 SuSe 10 here

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

I have SuSE at school, with Cutter X, it's ok but it's a little on the crappy side, still better than our old Windows 2000 NT ones, they're toooo slow

0 0

Yes system_meltdown the funniest thing about SuSE at school is little year 7's going "Hmmm… Wheres Microsoft Word gone?"

Some people are clearly brainwashed.:o I'm not saying Linux is the best or its flawless, but the fact is as soon as a non-geek interfaces with linux within a few minutes they're thinking Hmmmm this is shit.:o:(

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

Lol I know, you know Aaron Dean in my form? The retarded chav lol he goes "Miss!!!! These computers are shit I can't go on msn and Windows Media Player" what a twat lol

0 0

I use knoppix live cd here, and download all my files on portable 40 gig external hard drive then use them on the live cd.

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

Nice! I use Ubuntu LiveCD

0 0

windows, slackware 10.2, gentoo, freebsd

0 0

about the avi codec i have real player on SuSe 10 it came as a package it self so it just didnt wanna play avi vlc didnt have an official package and ran into dependency errors wine anything that could play media i installed just crashed wine so im losing my patience btw whats whoppix?

0 0

I prefer damnsmalllinux because i can boot from a thumb drive. Its just so conveinent (sp?)

0 0

i use Xandros Desktop OS 3.0 (Debian based), it is the most user-friendly linux out there, and with alot of eye-candy. it has the best installer (rpms or debs), i have used red-hat prior to changing to xandros, and also have tried the many other popular flavs (suse, mandrake, simply mepis, knoppix, ubuntu, et al). i have live-cds of all the major distros to show peeps so that they can choose which they like. the live-cds are also good for trouble-shooting. my peeves with linux are if u have an issue it may take some time to find a resolution, if at all! anyway for people that want to add linux to an existing hd, use Partition Magic to create the new space. and lastly forget linux and go with BSD B)

0 0

PCLinuxOS, Mandriva 2005 SE, and Turbo Linux

0 0

scankyfrank wrote: Who here uses linux?

i personally use SuSE 9.1 pro.

please post which distro you use. (knoppix included :D)what are all these weird websites. ive never heard of anyof them..

-=[TheOutlaw]=-
20 0

blackwolf2327 wrote: what are all these weird websites. ive never heard of anyof them.. Linux is an operating system not a website

0 0

system_meltdown wrote: [quote]blackwolf2327 wrote: what are all these weird websites. ive never heard of anyof them.. Linux is an operating system not a website[/quote]never herd of it. sorry

0 0

Darth_Pengo wrote: Why do you need 3CD's to install something? Suse comes on 1-2 just like Slackware and Ubuntu and all that jaz

Well i guess it depends on the size of that distro and what you get with it… the Slack 10.0 my friend gave me was on 3 disks, but the third disk was mostly extras for gnome.

The Manager
0 0

I use more than one distro.

For my GUI needs i have a machine with SuSE Pro 9.3 installed with many customizations running 4 desktops to get my optimal coverage when I freeze up a screen ;) My website/Server is running Debian (Sarge) 3.1 which gives me the text based items needed and easy costomizability.

Linux is the way of the future!

The Manager
0 0

I use more than one distro.

For my GUI needs i have a machine with SuSE Pro 9.3 installed with many customizations running 4 desktops to get my optimal coverage when I freeze up a screen ;) My website/Server is running Debian (Sarge) 3.1 which gives me the text based items needed and easy costomizability.

0 0

AldarHawk wrote:

Well said, and if you're too lazy to learn, then you'll just disappear with windows. (not talking about all you mac users, obviously)

0 0

scankyfrank wrote: can you not view ntfs partitions? i know linux cant write to ntfs because m$ aint given out the IDE or something, but you should be able to read! try just mounting it or go to [uel]www.linuxquestions.org[/url]

How about you don't use shitty Winblows with nfts formatting…. use something Linux can read!

0 0

How about you don't use shitty Winblows with nfts formatting…. use something Linux can read!

0 0

blackwolf2327 wrote: never herd of it. sorry ……………………………AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO DOESNT KNOW WHAT LINUX IS! WHO DOES THAT?! REALLY! calms down sorry that made me mad, mainly because I hate windows and microsoft with such a fiery passion that it drives me nuts when people don't know alternative OSs even exist.

0 1

pizza rolls wrote: mainly because I hate windows and microsoft with such a fiery passion that it drives me nuts when people don't know alternative OSs even exist.

perhaps you could justify that. im curious as to why you would hate it so much.

0 0

Wow- This thread is hype- huh? I am using Linux now… SuSe 10.0 and I am trying to learn how to install a firefox java plug-in. Joining Linux forums..

SwiftNomad

0 0

IMHO Windows users know dick all, *nix systems once you forget about the likes of YAST and rpms and all that toss. is were its at. Linux as nice as it is, not a patch on the BSD flavours

The Manager
0 0

n00dles,

Yes Windows users are dependant on the GUI interface. But hell who isn't?

I am a old school Windows user (Back in the 3.0 days and before) I once owned a copy of Windows 1.1 for gods sake!

SuSE, RedHat and Mandrake make it simple for someone that is not a computer Guru to look at this "NEW" operating system and see the ease of use for their needs. Yes I do agree that *NIX operating systems like Debian, HP-UX and Solaris are far better in the long run…but for a learning platform SuSE, RedHat (or Fedora Core) and Mandrake (now Mandriva) are great for learning the operating system.

Not all people are able to spend 10-16 hours a day in front of a computer and if they are they do not always dictate what goes on it. I use SuSE for its ease of use on my home computer. I use Debian for its stability on my FTP/HTTP Server.

What I am saying is if people want to get into Linux and choose a "Lesser Evil" so to speak. then good for them. Better SuSE or RedHat then putting more bills in Bills pockets!

Did I rant too long? Should I make this into an article? let me know!

0 0

[quote]AldarHawk wrote: n00dles,

Yes Windows users are dependant on the GUI interface. But hell who isn't?

[/quote

Uh.. me? I can use text based operating systems :D but being a web designer i kinda sorta need a GUI for somethings :p

0 0

hello im am looking for a good version of linux to play with im not sure waht one or how good the different ones are. currlety i have sues and novel ver.

i also have a linux problem how do u uninstall and run diablo lod II i know i need "wine" some one plz pm!!..

0 0

hey can any1 post a link 2 some nice emulators ?? its hard 4 me 2 say goodbye 2 good 'ol messegers like yahoo and msn… and i kinda like spending time 2 play with me pals on the comp;.. games like diablo starcraft and mu online (i like only Global MU:)). PLZZZZ REPLY as QUICKLY as u can coz if this works,, then LOTS of ppl will leave windows in favor of linux..