Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

restore original OS

0 0

i have recently install ubuntu to a desktop for a family member and i would like to restore the OS back to windows xp. i read a way to do that on the internet but i cant find that article again. Can you guys please me what i can do?

Banned
0 0

Insert a windows installation disk and do it.

0 0

I can help you. You're going to do a couple things if you don't have the original install disk.

First, find the make and model of your computer, and post it here. For example, my laptop has a sticker on the bottom that says "Acer Aspire 4530 5627"

You will need also need to download an XP image, burn it to a CD, and boot from the CD. The actual installing is very easy. Make sure you select the right language, and do a full format. You may need to install a couple drivers, but that's not too hard. Post if you have trouble at any of those steps.

0 0

i got that taken care of, i just wanted to know if i can restore everything i had on my previous computer before i installed ubuntu. i have no installaion disks but i do have window 7 ultimate on my usb that i can boot it from. i know that there is a program and a way to restore everything back to the way it was!

Banned
0 0

:')

Restore like "unformat", recover your files?

Not Just a member
0 0

spyware wrote: :')

Restore like "unformat", recover your files?

It could be just Ubuntu bootloader over Windows MBR, so it could be just the case of adding the windows partition to the loader.

@OP: you might want to run fdisk -l to see if you still have your windows partition at place

0 0

i went to terminal and typed fdisk -l and it didnt do anything.

Banned
0 0

try sudo fdisk.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Did you do a dualboot install or a format? Ubuntu automagically adds the Windows partition to the bootloader now when selecting dualboot, so I'm betting he wiped everything.

0 0

yea i did format the whole driver, i was just wondering if i could atlest recover some specific files?

0 0

Sorry buddy, but if you didn't back up that windows xp install that you had in place (which is the FIRST thing you should do when switching OS types) then it looks like you might be SOL…

Your best bet is to take the HDD out completely and hook it up to a spare computer, whether it be via USB adapter or what have you and try to use a program like Recuva or some sort of file restoration software to pick specific data off of that drive and then do a complete reinstall of Windows.

Truthfully, going from different file tables is making your chances slimmer. I'm not sure why you would even install Ubuntu on a *family member's * machine as a primary OS unless you back up their documents and files first. Bad call bro. Hopefully a third party app will help because you're not going to be able to do a system restore unless you partitioned that drive so nothing got overwritten (which it seems like you didn't).

You are more than likely just going to have to own up to this screw up and take the losses.

0 0

Sometimes there can be a second partition that will allow you "restore to factory settings." It will have a copy of any drivers, registry copy, and system files. Using the entire disk to install Linux will get rid of this partition. It is not necessary for anything if you have the model number of your computer. Everything can be downloaded after you install, from the manufacturer's website.

Edit: Formatting does not delete data, because that in its self does not overwrite data. However, every time that you boot to the hard drive you are saving information to the hard drive, and so you are deleting that data. It would be a pain in the ass to recover, so how important is the data?

Admin from hell
0 0

He can easily recover the partition with a good partition recovery tool, I myself use Active@ Partition Recovery, Has never failed me. Once the partition is recovered it may need a little fixing but you should be able to retrieve your data.

Why would you NOT get any data off windows for these people before blowing the drive?

0 0

reinsangeki wrote: Sorry buddy, but if you didn't back up that windows xp install that you had in place (which is the FIRST thing you should do when switching OS types) then it looks like you might be SOL…

Your best bet is to take the HDD out completely and hook it up to a spare computer, whether it be via USB adapter or what have you and try to use a program like Recuva or some sort of file restoration software to pick specific data off of that drive and then do a complete reinstall of Windows.

Truthfully, going from different file tables is making your chances slimmer. I'm not sure why you would even install Ubuntu on a *family member's * machine as a primary OS unless you back up their documents and files first. Bad call bro. Hopefully a third party app will help because you're not going to be able to do a system restore unless you partitioned that drive so nothing got overwritten (which it seems like you didn't).

You are more than likely just going to have to own up to this screw up and take the losses.

Thanks man, ill take your advice and see what i can do. and korg, i only backed up the pictures as requested by my family member but now they want their old windows back like magic..