Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Installing backtrack 4 tools on ubuntu

0 0

i have searched google on how to install backtrack 4 tools on ubuntu v10.10. i did install backtrack but i didnt like on how it functioned. and yes i know that backtrack is alot harder to learn and have than ubuntu. i like to try programs for myself than to take judgement on other opinions. anyway back to the topic, i have searched and google gave me a million ways to do it. i need your help to just narrow it down for me to basic steps on how to install it. i just dont understand why cant things be kept simple.Ubuntu is really cool but it would be even cooler if it also had penetration programs on it too, because having excellent wifi plus keeping up with business and looking good is an excellent way to go, im sure everyone will agree with me on that! and thanks to everyone for your help!

0 0

If Google gave you a million ways to do it then just pick one.

Edit: Ok since I am being nice here is a guide Backtrack tools in ubuntu. However it would be better if you just "Manually download and install the security tools you need to use on your system".

Banned
0 0

Three ways, mainly.

The first one, download binaries, untar, chmod +x and ./run

The second one, download sources, untar, ./configure, make, (sudo) make install.

The lastly, the option you should be using whenever possible, sudo apt-get install <x> or sudo aptitude to get your ncurses on.

Have fun!

0 0

ima new to this stuff otherwise i wouldnt have posted this thread. i love computers and want to make more out of this hobby. computers was never my study and my life but its great to work with technology than other sources that i cannot type in.

0 0

Ok those "tools" your trying to install/use are actually peoples hard work at aka SOURCE CODE. If you are that ignorant and don't even know how to compile/use there source code (interpreted or not) I suggest you not even use it at all. You also state that "i like to try programs for myself than to take judgement on other opinions" (uncapitalised sentence) How the shit are you going to take judgement of others opinions when you don't even realize the simple workings behind the god damn thing itself? Download the source code and if you can't get it to even do what it was fucking supposed to do in the first place then please DO NOT USE IT!!!!

</scriptkiddie>

edit: Learn to Linux

another edit: shame on all those that spoon fed and gave this asshat a loaded gun

Ninja Extreme
0 0

The Ripper wrote: sudo apt-get install <x> is deprecated. I believe something to do with the way temp files are not removed properly. sudo aptitude is the command your really should be using.

Is this in all apt-using distributions? I havn't heard anything at all about this in Ubuntu, although I notice Debian users often use the equivalent aptitude command instead much more often.

0 1

ubuntu users usually use Synaptic. It's kinda like an app-store-ish application in Ubuntu where users can find the application they need, and it'll then download and install it for you.

It's great for beginners since it also installs the dependencies an application might need, and I used it for a while before I learned to use apt-get and compiling source code. The downside is that if you uninstall it, you'll probably end up with dependencies you no longer need in your installation. Some people prefer Aptitude, since it acts as a frontend for apt-get, but it runs from console, but there was also a graphical front end later.

Also note that Synaptic is no longer the default front line for apt-get since 10.04, it's still included in the installation.

0 0

fuser wrote: The downside is that if you uninstall it, you'll probably end up with dependencies you no longer need in your installation. Ah that is it! apt-get fails to remove dependencies no longer needed, were as aptitude does. Also Debian has a gui front end for package installation as well.

stealth- wrote: Is this in all apt-using distributions? I am not entirely sure but I would imagine so. However I am a Debian user.

skathgh420 wrote: shame on all those that spoon fed and gave this asshat a loaded gun Bad Ripper, bad. rubs nose in the shame

Ninja Extreme
0 0

Yeah, I know a lot of Ubuntu users use the GUI method, I was wondering about aptitude vs apt-get

The Ripper wrote: [quote]fuser wrote: The downside is that if you uninstall it, you'll probably end up with dependencies you no longer need in your installation. Ah that is it! apt-get fails to remove dependencies no longer needed, were as aptitude does. Also Debian has a gui front end for package installation as well.[/quote]

Oh, that's no big deal. You're supposed to run "apt-get autoremove" every once and while and that'll clean stuff out. It alerts you if there are those extra packages every time you run it, too. I'm not sure that really qualifies as a reason to call the apt-get command deprecated.

0 0

stealth- wrote: Yeah, I know a lot of Ubuntu users use the GUI method, I was wondering about aptitude vs apt-get

[quote]The Ripper wrote: [quote]fuser wrote: The downside is that if you uninstall it, you'll probably end up with dependencies you no longer need in your installation. Ah that is it! apt-get fails to remove dependencies no longer needed, were as aptitude does. Also Debian has a gui front end for package installation as well.[/quote]

Oh, that's no big deal. You're supposed to run "apt-get autoremove" every once and while and that'll clean stuff out. It alerts you if there are those extra packages every time you run it, too. I'm not sure that really qualifies as a reason to call the apt-get command deprecated.[/quote]

After reading your post I had to do some more research. I read threads from Ubuntu, Debian, and linuxquestions.org. The conclusion is simple, and you are correct. If you know how to use apt-get properly (eg: autoremove) then it does not matter what one you use. Thanks for teaching me more about apt-get.

0 0

I didn't look at the question never mind. Thank whatever that there was an edit tool.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

zombiesloth wrote: I didn't look at the question never mind. Thank whatever that there was an edit tool.

You can also delete your post, zombiesloth. There is a checkbox on the edit page that allows you to do that.

No problem Ripper :)