Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

I'm curious about OpenSolaris.

0 0

Does anyone here use OpenSolaris, or have you? It seems like it's a very quality operating system, but I haven't had any experience with it. I'd like to get a personal opinion.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

There's a liveCD….. why not see for yourself? If you do, be sure to come back and post you're thoughts. Iirc, it's pretty similar to any linux distro (I might be blatantly wrong there, though)

0 0

Solaris is an SUS standard UNIX. I've read that OpenSolaris is based off the code, and they basically use the Solaris code to make it. So it must be very UNIX. I don't know about available software and hardware compatibility, but I can't imagine it's not a real quality OS.

0 0

BuddyCianci wrote: Solaris is an SUS standard UNIX. I've read that OpenSolaris is based off the code, and they basically use the Solaris code to make it. So it must be very UNIX. I don't know about available software and hardware compatibility, but I can't imagine it's not a real quality OS.

You might want to get a cheat sheet of helpful Solaris commands handy before you try the live CD. I'm unsure what version they're on now, but Solaris 9 was infuriating for me because some of the scripts to activate network interfaces didn't use identical commands to what I expected.

Beyond that, looks nice and everything. Wish I had more time to play around with it. The few jobs I see available on sites for Sol. operators seem to stay up longer, so if you're interested in doing it as a career (in the future) I do think there is a significant shortfall in the number of capable administrators.