Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux LTSP and Perl

0 0

Alright, so next year I am going to teach the Linux class at my school for a senior project. I was hoping to start out with turning the lab into a nice LTSP run lab preferably with Arch Linux but if not arch I don't care. I was also hoping to incorporate Perl into this.

Basically what I am looking for is a book that talks about LTSP servers in basic Linux terms that preferably covers Arch Linux and maybe Perl. If anyone knows of any books that they have heard good things about regarding this I would greatly appreciate some names.

I plan on physically buying this book at a store.

Thanks in advance.

0 0

Wouldn't it be better to teach people the basics? If you intend to teach further than that then don't you think you should be quailified?

Banned
0 0

What are you going to do with Perl?

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: Wouldn't it be better to teach people the basics? If you intend to teach further than that then don't you think you should be quailified? Learning/using LTSP doesn't demand any qualification. Also, [I'm hoping that] he's not teaching LTSP but, rather, Linux itself from the very basics; teaching LTSP to a Linux class (no matter what level) would be a waste of time.

spyware wrote: What are you going to do with Perl? I agree. If you're looking to teach scripting, then they need to do bash scripts. If they have never touched Linux before, they either need to do small bash scripts or none at all. Teach according to what the class can handle, then challenge the ones that are willing to go beyond that.

Back to the OP post, my original point about LTSP stands. If you're learning it yourself, you don't need a book… it's trivial to learn it within an hour of tinkering with it. I don't have any direct advice on choice of distro to install LTSP on, but I chose CentOS when I did it – it's a workhorse when you use it as an app server. Arch shouldn't be too much of a problem, either, though you might have to custom a pkgbuild to get the most recent version of LTSP. Debian would probably be the most popular choice, for the same stability reasons as why I chose CentOS.

There's lots of good online LTSP coverage, so maybe give that a whirl a couple times and see if you're still left seeking answers?

Banned
0 0

spyware wrote: What are you going to do with Perl?

define wrote: I agree.

That's cool and all, but I meant it literally, what is the class going to do with Perl :P? What do you want them to program, and why?

0 0

Thanks for the responses guys…

To begin:

1. The book was meant more for me. Using Perl to help admin the LTSP I set up for the lab. The LTSP and Perl wasn't meant for the class unless we get around to it at the end of the year.

I was thinking to hopefully do it in Arch because I am most familiar with Arch, I will probably go ahead and use Ubuntu although because it may be easier (and more stable?).

I guess now, all I want is a good book for a Linux Sys Admin. And if it incorporates Perl that's a plus. I did find one book Linux System Administration Recipes that uses Perl, but the book is for more advanced admins. If you have any more questions or suggestions feel free to respond.

PS. Bash scripting is also a plus.

0 0

I already have read Learning Perl (great book) and I have ordered Intermediate Perl from Amazon. I will look for one of those "Dummies" or "Idiots" books though. The one I mentioned looked like a really good book but it was more for the admin who "has already been a sys admin for a year or so."

0 0

Well I looked through it at the store and it wasn't worth the money. I was planning on "acquiring" it anyway but not necessarily buying it. :) Some of the stuff was good but most was over my head.

0 0

Exactly. I still have half a year to gather resources before I start the class so I'm not in to much of a hurry. Besides, the first few weeks will be easy just off the top of my head.

0 0

I know, I meant I won't need a particular book for the first bit. I will have to plan it out.

0 0

This book is one that I highly recommend for a read before sysadmin books: http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Complete-Loren-E-Redding/dp/078214036X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270216786&sr=8-1

It's a bit dated, but the information in it is great and still mostly relevant.

This one is good for understanding a lot of what you'd need to secure, which inevitably leads you to follow good sysadmin practices in the process: http://www.amazon.com/Hardening-Linux-John-Terpstra/dp/0072254971/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Again, dated, but I own both and have found them both to be great books. Also, on Amazon, you can buy both (used) for $3 plus shipping (that's $3 for both, not $3 each). :P

Generally, Amazon reviews are pretty spot on… so, if you hunt around for the type of books you're looking for and judge its effectiveness by the weight of the review scores, then you'll probably find plenty.

To recap from earlier, you don't need a book for LTSP. In fact, I'm not sure that a book would be better than just bookmarking links to online tutorials and references. Basically, you'll just want to see how to get it installed in your distro of choice (probably Arch, I take it), then you'll know what to look for from there.

Oh, and use bash (not Perl) to manage. If you're trying to learn about being a sysadmin, then you need a foundation in bash. Force yourself to use bash. Not Perl.

0 0

Thanks for the links. I will probably just get them because they are so cheap.

I was planning on doing bash also. The Recipes book uses both Perl and Bash for different things.

Thanks for the input.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Thanks for the links. I will probably just get them because they are so cheap. If that would be your only reason, then don't bother.

0 0

define wrote: [quote]fashizzlepop wrote: Thanks for the links. I will probably just get them because they are so cheap. If that would be your only reason, then don't bother.[/quote] Because I like to buy cheap books just for the hell of it for absolutely no reason.

You were the one who suggested them. If they are helpful, and happen to be cheap, then it wouldn't hurt to have some extra info to use.

0 0

fashizzlepop wrote: Thanks for the links. I will probably just get them because they are so cheap. define wrote: If that would be your only reason, then don't bother. fashizzlepop wrote: If they are helpful, and happen to be cheap, then it wouldn't hurt to have some extra info to use. Cool. That makes more sense. Yes, I'm very particular about wording. :happy: