Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Best Linux Distribution

0 0

Hey Guys,

Can someone temme which is the best linux distribution ???

Admin from hell
0 0

This has been gone over and over and over. Look at the old threads, try a few live disks etc, etc, etc.

0 0

java cus its cross platform and will let you run anything on it!!!! just google for teh source….

0 0

There are none, all linux distributions are skins for windows and mac's (which is terrible because mac's are thinly disguised skins for windows themselves!)

In short, well done you made it! This linux thing is only a test, and you passed, be glad many don't! Now you can stop this "hacking" business and get on with stuff you're more suited to. Making big macs at your local macy D'z

tl;dr: Mandriva,openSuse,Ubuntu, it's all good.

0 0

Hi all, Linux here and I'm sick of all of you people's shit! I'm glad you like my different appearances, but can't anyone love me for who I really am? A kernel needs some love too, I'm not who you think I am, you creepy fanboys. Do you realize how much it can hurt to have it discussed what of what I have done is best and have everything else tossed aside? To always have my name brought up, yet never really being about me? Fuck all of you!

With love - Linux

PS: To all of you harsh critics, I am not apologizing for Ubuntu. I was young and needed the money, what's done is done. Get the hell off my case about it.

0 0

Linux_Pure wrote: PS: To all of you harsh critics, I am not apologizing for Ubuntu. I was young and needed the money, what's done is done. Get the hell off my case about it.

I can forgive you for all your sins but one. Why did you never acknowledge what your parents did for you? What did -you- ever do for them? They gave you EVERYTHING for christ's sake, and you just kept on taking. NEVER a word of thanks, NEVER a contribution to -their- household, you greedy little bastard.

0 0

Compromise wrote: I can forgive you for all your sins but one. Why did you never acknowledge what your parents did for you? What did -you- ever do for them? They gave you EVERYTHING for christ's sake, and you just kept on taking. NEVER a word of thanks, NEVER a contribution to -their- household, you greedy little bastard. My father just wanted to use me and my mother was a strict, abusive drunk, unwilling to freely share any of her love with me. I admit, I wouldn't be the kernel I am today without them, but at that time in my life, I just wanted to get away. It's why I even went so far as to hook up with any random guy on the internet willing to have me. It was a dark period in my life, I don't like to think about it.

SET

Peumonoultramicroscopicsilico
0 0

Everyone stop being retarded and stick to the question…..I don't care if no one loved you and God knows i don't care about your sexual exploits….And how about everyone just stick to the question the OP asked……If all of you want to talk about your parents (however horrible or great they are) then open a thread and call it "For everyone that doesn't have a life and wants to listen and live through mine vicariously…".

YAY I GOT TO FLAME TODAY POINT FOR ME!!!

Banned
0 0

I agree. Just try some live disks, get to know each distro better and decide which one you like best.

Each individual has their own tastes. For instance, I like Ubuntu and Fedora. Some others like Mandriva or Suse. Another person might like to be different and use BSD. It's all a matter of personal preference.

0 0

Linux_Pure wrote:

To all of you harsh critics, I am not apologizing for Ubuntu. I was young and needed the money, what's done is done. Get the hell off my case about it.

hahaha, also it was nessesary for the plot.

loving this thread.

SET wrote: Everyone stop being retarded and stick to the question….

No, if he doesn't google this question, then he wont when it comes to a problem with linux( and he will have many he'll just post a new thread on the bloated ubuntu forums. So no, if this dick hasn't learnt search the forums then I will do my best to make sure he never touches a linux distro.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: No, if he doesn't google this question, then he wont when it comes to a problem with linux( and he will have many he'll just post a new thread on the bloated ubuntu forums. So no, if this dick hasn't learnt search the forums then I will do my best to make sure he never touches a linux distro.

I did check Google… Wat i dont know Which one to choose ??? i have pin pointed Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, OPENsuse !!!! i dont know what to chose!!

0 0

SuRF666 wrote: I did check Google… Wat i dont know Which one to choose ??? i have pin pointed Fedora, Slackware, Ubuntu, OPENsuse !!!! i dont know what to chose!! They're all good; there is no best one. Just go download an Ubuntu LiveCD and try it out. You won't stick with the Linux distro you choose first, anyways… if you stick with Linux at all.

0 0

Try them all. I'm pretty sure most if not all of those distros allow you to burn an iso cd and boot from it, without altering your current setup. Mess around with each one, visit their online communities, do a little research, and see what you like.

0 0

Hey there,

I'll just make use of this thread to ask something useful. Is ext4 stable enough for installing an ubuntu 9.10? Do you reccomend using ext4 or ext3?

0 0

They are all the same, they are free, save the cost of a dvd or cd and no one can tell you which you will prefer.

So try one, eventually (even if you enjoyed it) you will look to try another. So why ask?

Also, simply typing into google which linux is best isn't what i meant. You googled it and I'm sure someone recomended this that or the other, why not wiki them and see then just fucking pick one.

Ninja Extreme
0 0

chess_rock wrote: Hey there,

I'll just make use of this thread to ask something useful. Is ext4 stable enough for installing an ubuntu 9.10? Do you reccomend using ext4 or ext3?

I've used it on ubuntu, and all of my other linux distros aswell and I've never had any issues. When one of my disks did start having filesystem issues (disk was failing), I was able to recover the data with no issues.

So I'm pretty confident ext4 is usable.

0 0

stealth- wrote: [quote]chess_rock wrote: Hey there,

I've used it on ubuntu, and all of my other linux distros aswell and I've never had any issues. When one of my disks did start having filesystem issues (disk was failing), I was able to recover the data with no issues.

So I'm pretty confident ext4 is usable.[/quote]

Thank you :) So i'll be using ext4 tomorrow xD

0 0

chess_rock wrote: Thank you :) So i'll be using ext4 tomorrow xD Good. Now that you're done hijacking someone else's thread, I'll courtesy-echo the last post to get it back on topic. Even if it's a shitty topic, you need to make your own thread when you have your own off-topic question. Thanks.

wolfmankurd wrote: They are all the same, they are free, save the cost of a dvd or cd and no one can tell you which you will prefer.

So try one, eventually (even if you enjoyed it) you will look to try another. So why ask?

Also, simply typing into google which linux is best isn't what i meant. You googled it and I'm sure someone recomended this that or the other, why not wiki them and see then just fucking pick one. Agreed. Pick a popular one, try it, and see if you like it. If not, try another. Repeat until you're satisfied.

0 0

define wrote: Good. Now that you're done hijacking someone else's thread, I'll courtesy-echo the last post to get it back on topic. Even if it's a shitty topic, you need to make your own thread when you have your own off-topic question. Thanks.

It's not hijacking what this is called. Actually, if you want to install a distro, it is a good idea to know what file system to use. So i'd say my question is not totally off-topic. Maybe it just doesn't correspond to the title, but it is additional info when installing a distro.

Creating a thread for just two posts isn't that good. If you have something to say to me, pm me. I'm not into starting flame wars.

PS: I won't reply to any of your forum posts related to this topic, just pms.

0 0

Hi there guys, I 'll just make use of this thread here to ask something useful.

You see, I've started playing Diablo 2 again and was thinking of either going for barbarian or a necromancer. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which class and build to go for. I think it'd be nice to try a bit of an unusual build for once. I'm playing on linux btw so it's relevant to the topic and since OP might choose to play D2 on it as well, I think it'd be a good idea to know what type of builds are recommended.

Thanks in advance, good character name suggestions are always welcome as well.

0 0

COM wrote: Hi there guys, I 'll just make use of this thread here to ask something useful.

You see, I've started playing Diablo 2 again and was thinking of either going for barbarian or a necromancer. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which class and build to go for. I think it'd be nice to try a bit of an unusual build for once. I'm playing on linux btw so it's relevant to the topic and since OP might choose to play D2 on it as well, I think it'd be a good idea to know what type of builds are recommended.

Watch what you're posting… People could get a stroke from laughing to much, you know.

0 0

stranac wrote: [quote]COM wrote: Hi there guys, I 'll just make use of this thread here to ask something useful.

Watch what you're posting… People could get a stroke from laughing to much, you know.[/quote]

Damn, that was close.

@OP: Start with Ubuntu. For me, it was the easiest transition. Then. make sure that you don't stick with it, and you find others.

0 0

stranac wrote: [quote]COM wrote: Hi there guys, I 'll just make use of this thread here to ask something useful.

Watch what you're posting… People could get a stroke from laughing to much, you know.[/quote]

Damn, that was close.

@OP: Start with Ubuntu. For me, it was the easiest transition. Then. make sure that you don't stick with it, and you find others.

0 0

chess_rock wrote: Hey there,

Yes it is stable to use since its default in 9.10. I would recommend you do manually partition and set / to ext4 /boot to ext3 /home to ext4 and add your swap

0 0

I didnt read the whole thread, but having used unix to length there is no 'Best Distro'. Your asking on a hacking forum so i would expect backtrack to be the generic answer.

To put it another way you just asked "Which windows is better" They are all different, Play with them all, see which one suits you.

0 0

mambo wrote: I didnt read the whole thread, but having used unix to length there is no 'Best Distro'. Your asking on a hacking forum so i would expect backtrack to be the generic answer.

To put it another way you just asked "Which windows is better" They are all different, Play with them all, see which one suits you.

backtrack is a tool, if aske4 dwhat was th ebest platform for hacking then backtrack is certainly the answer ( it has most stuff there) I am not 100% certain of this I have used backtrack and it is definately my opinion that it is not the best distro.

fine if I wanted to try a new technique it would be useful to have tools there but I could just as easily install said tools on another distro.

saying backtrack is like saying whats the best os? since this is a machdonals foroum it's the software that runs on your tills.

I'm ranting here but the point is backtrack is not for general use it's for pen testing, and fit for little else!

0 0

Unlike the beautiful things that come from the diversity of Linux distributions, the "diversity" that microsoft offers can be explained mostly by "give more cash, get more useless things".

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: [quote]mambo wrote:

saying backtrack is like saying whats the best os? since this is a machdonals foroum it's the software that runs on your tills.

I have no idea what this means, but the latest back track release now includes apt-get which means it can be used for general use =]

0 0

mambo wrote: I have no idea what this means, but the latest back track release now includes apt-get which means it can be used for general use =]

oh it has apt-get wow. I could compile apt-get to run on my ds. does that make nds-linux a good general use distro? No. If you think it does then obviously you're not fully aware of how packages work.

People don't think installing software is so easy on say ubuntu cause it has apt-get, it's cause ubuntu hjas a massive repository for apt-get to access! That repository has packages designes just for ubuntu including it's layout and in particular it's filesystem layout.(config files go where they should binaries land in the proper direcotries and the gnome menu is properly edited)

I just posted in a thread about not being hostile on forums, but ffs, think before you type.

Slackware comes with no repo software* yet it's a better general purpose distro than backtrack, why? because:

1. It's designed to be used as such.
  2. Extensive repositories exist for it.
  • Let me qualify this you can get slapt-get which is slackwares answer to apt-get. But some choose to use nothing and just read the changelog every so often and compile/unpack binaries into the proper place by hand.

0 0

deviant-route wrote: [quote]chess_rock wrote: Hey there,

Yes it is stable to use since its default in 9.10. I would recommend you do manually partition and set / to ext4 /boot to ext3 /home to ext4 and add your swap[/quote]

Just a random question.

Why would you use ext3 on a boot partition?

My argument, is that it is unnecessary to have the journaling as its wasted room and slightly (even if undetectable by observation) slower than ext2.

The stability gains with ext3 just arent important on the boot partition.

Whats your defense?

0 0

I'm not to hot in this area but given the only very slight differences in performance why would you not want the extra protection of journalling?

also reiser FS all the way! the man murdered his wife!

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: I'm not to hot in this area but given the only very slight differences in performance why would you not want the extra protection of journalling?

also reiser FS all the way! the man murdered his wife!

Im not hot either in the area. Though just never found a reason to use it, or been convinced its better. Thats actually why I want a solid response. But either one will work.

And lol at reiser, to bad it wont get much support anymore.

0 0

stdio wrote: [quote]deviant-route wrote: [quote]chess_rock wrote: Hey there,

Yes it is stable to use since its default in 9.10. I would recommend you do manually partition and set / to ext4 /boot to ext3 /home to ext4 and add your swap[/quote]

Just a random question.

Why would you use ext3 on a boot partition?

My argument, is that it is unnecessary to have the journaling as its wasted room and slightly (even if undetectable by observation) slower than ext2.

The stability gains with ext3 just arent important on the boot partition.

Whats your defense?

[/quote]

Well to be honest i was told by experience Linux Server admins that using the ext3 over ext2 or even ext4 provide better stability and protection for /boot

0 0

sometimes experienced linux server admins is about as useful as experienced windows server admins.

0 0

wolfmankurd wrote: [quote]mambo wrote: I didnt read the whole thread, but having used unix to length there is no 'Best Distro'. Your asking on a hacking forum so i would expect backtrack to be the generic answer.

backtrack is a tool, if aske4 dwhat was th ebest platform for hacking then backtrack is certainly the answer ( it has most stuff there) I am not 100% certain of this I have used backtrack and it is definately my opinion that it is not the best distro.

fine if I wanted to try a new technique it would be useful to have tools there but I could just as easily install said tools on another distro.

I'm ranting here but the point is backtrack is not for general use it's for pen testing, and fit for little else![/quote]

huh? lol, Your joking right? First of all BT3 was based off Slackware, now BT4 is based on Ubuntu intrepid so they arent tools they are distros that have tools. Theyre using the Linux kernal.

And to say that its only good for pentesting is like saying its only good for hacking..seeing as you should be able to do one to do the other? Maybe you should check BT4's Live CD out before commenting on it not being a Linux distro.

metasploit is a tool, perhaps your mixing the two up?

Edit- To stay on topic, I agree with everyone else and that is that there is no "best" linux distro out there. Ubuntu is good to start with, but in reality linux is no more then a kernal so..

Dont run out and DL BT just because its based off intrepid, even though it bases its graphical enviroment of Ubuntu its definitely not a beginners distro.

0 0

Someone, in one of the previous posts, suggested installing Ubuntu but not stick with it… may I ask why do that?

0 0

So? Then what distribution should one use if he wants to learn more advanced stuff?

0 0

none stick with windows

0 0

If you want to get your hands dirty go with Gentoo or Arch, better yet forget linux and go freebsd