Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Triple Boot Partion layout opinions

0 0

Well right now I have a dual boot system with bt4 and Gentoo though I did want to put windows back on it, but out of partition space. So I will have to redo my hard-drive. However, before I dive into this I want feed back on a good partition layout.

Here is what I'm currently thinking of

sda1

Boot Partition

sda2 (my extended drive)

+BT4 +Gentoo +Swap

sda3

Share Partition

sda4

Windows7

0 0

stdio wrote: So I will have to redo my hard-drive.

Partition Magic or GParted will let you re-size partitions without reformatting the drive. You should still back up your data, in the event that everything should go terribly wrong.

If it were me, I'd have BT4 on a USB. I don't see any problems with your layout plan though, but then I'm no linux guru.

0 0

maug wrote: [quote]stdio wrote: So I will have to redo my hard-drive.

Partition Magic or GParted will let you re-size partitions without reformatting the drive. You should still back up your data, in the event that everything should go terribly wrong.

If it were me, I'd have BT4 on a USB. I don't see any problems with your layout plan though, but then I'm no linux guru.[/quote]

True BT4 would have been easy on a usb stick, but oh well. Anyways gparted wouldnt have worked really well. It wasnt a size issue of my harddrive, its the number of partitions allowed. Only 4 primary and I had 1 boot, 1 swap, and 1 for each OS (BT and gentoo). Redoing it was to use an extended partition to get all the stuff on there.

Of and fuck m$ with their 100mb system reserved partition. Good thing I found the way to get rid of that.

Anywho: too late now. I've already installed 2/3 OS's so I'm not changing my course of action now.

0 0

same as maug really.

Tbh, it's fine can't see any problems!. But maybe put home on a separate partition. then if you decide to change distro you don't have to delete your data. the share partition of course somewhat mitigates that need.

what do you mean by boot partition? a /boot/ partition?

though I should post mine.

I have windows7 on a raid0 array (3x80GB)

a shared hdd (ntfs) (1TB)

swap (1gb i think) linux / (mandriva) (~12GB) linux /home (~350gb) linux (backup ubuntu ~50GB) windows xp (300GB)