Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux Wireless internet question

0 0

I have installed Ubuntu 8.10, and I can only connect to the internet through ethernet. What drivers do I have to have to make wireless work? I have a Comcast SB5101 modem if that matters. Thanks for your time.

Banned
0 0

What does ifconfig -a return? (run as root).

0 0

spyware wrote: What does ifconfig -a return? (run as root). eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1b:38:17:1c:4f
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B) Interrupt:220 Base address:0x4000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1 RX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:240 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:15040 (15.0 KB) TX bytes:15040 (15.0 KB)

pan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 12:31:e1:66:ca:c9
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Banned
0 0

Alright, what laptop do you have? You're probably going to have to install something like iwlwifi.

Try lspci, grep for words like "wireless". Post back what you get.

0 0

How bout updating to 9.04? Increased wireless support. Also could try downloading WICD (idk why but worked on a friends). As spy suggested you may need drivers but lately Ubuntu & Fedora both have been steppin up wireless support out of the box your the first iv'e heard having a problem since 8.10.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: I've never had a problem with Fedora with my several wireless cards/usb devices. Before choosing an OS, it's a good idea to check out what hardware it may or may not support. I take it you've done a bit of research on the subject (hardware + OS version), there is an awful lot of stuff regarding wireless cards and Ubuntu out there.

The goddamn OS is Linux. Fucking, noob.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: We're talking about Ubuntu.

Nooo, no no. Fuck you. You're a fucking idiot. Linux.

Now stfu.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: Now tell me something: What's your problem recently? What part of my post most offended you?

Determined idiocy struck a few chords. Assumed supremacy based on information which you haven't acquired is another thing that really rubs me the wrong way.

Those things are pretty much the main components of my being-offendedness.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: sigh I was merely trying to help the guy, giving a little tip or two about getting the problem resolved, and what do I get, oh, yes. And tell me, what part of my post gives you the impression of supremacy? And for future reference, I like striking C, G, Fm7 and A chords.

Look cunt, you can't help, so shut the fuck up. Let the people who -do- know what they are talking about try to help. The fucking advice to just google what he needs is, in most cases, fucking useless. A tactic developed by newbies who still cherish the newness of every post, newbies who try to climb the fucking social ranks.

tl;dr, stfu.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: I've had my fair share of hardware troubles in the past, and you pick things up along the way. Tell me one thing: How did you learn to help, where did you get the information? Don't answer that, I already know you sat there analysing the hardware with an eyeglass, following the flow of electrons, then slowly working your way up to the software side, looking at each individual bit that passes your very eyes, interpreting each one instantaneously, and there's the problem right there, it took you minutes, and you found the exact problem by merely looking at everything, but it could have taken you hours, too. Your skill to understand everything in front of you without education is astounding to say the least. Ever since you were born, you've known everything that you might ever wish to know, merely by glancing, just knowing. Sadly, not everyone is the same, not everyone can just know all, some need to ask questions, do a bit of reading. You seem to have forgotten the drawbacks of being human.

"omg liek, you used gewgle too learn to, hypocrazy."

No, dickwad. You're not dodging any bullets. I learned mostly by reading texts written by people who (combined) have done pretty much what you described.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: And those texts can be found on this very subject. And my suggestion of seeking such things out was partly due to the lack of given information.

Lack of information? Perhaps for the untrained eye, maybe.

As for the solution for his/her problem, I'm still waiting on OP's reply.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]MoshBat wrote: I've never had a problem with Fedora with my several wireless cards/usb devices. Before choosing an OS, it's a good idea to check out what hardware it may or may not support. I take it you've done a bit of research on the subject (hardware + OS version), there is an awful lot of stuff regarding wireless cards and Ubuntu out there.

The goddamn OS is Linux. Fucking, noob.[/quote]

In case you didn't fucking know, Fedora IS linux. And diffrent distributions have diffrent drivers packaged with them on the linux "KERNEL". Linux is a KERNEL in key refferred to as an OS in general since it usually is packaged with a DE and shell interface. Moshbat was stating that HIS distro Fedora he uses has never had problems so possibly he might want to try that. Ubuntu and Fedora and EVERY distro of LINux package diffrently in some ways, if you don't know that then your the fucking noob and need to research a little further b4 making posts that make you look like a dumbass.

Banned
0 0

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: In case you didn't fucking know, Fedora IS linux. And diffrent distributions have diffrent drivers packaged with them on the linux "KERNEL". Linux is a KERNEL in key refferred to as an OS in general since it usually is packaged with a DE and shell interface. Moshbat was stating that HIS distro Fedora he uses has never had problems so possibly he might want to try that. Ubuntu and Fedora and EVERY distro of LINux package diffrently in some ways, if you don't know that then your the fucking noob and need to research a little further b4 making posts that make you look like a dumbass.

That's valid and all, but my main point was that whatever wifi driver is running on Moshbat's Fedora-driven laptop, it's also compilable on Ubuntu. Furthermore, especially in the case of something popular/much used, like wireless drivers, binaries for the most used distro's are distributed.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: Wrong, actually. My friend was using Ubuntu, and he couldn't get wireless to work, either, so I loaned him my Belkin 54G to test out, and that didn't work, but it did on my own PC. Funny, huh, how you can never get it all right.

So, you forgot to install drivers? In this thread, dating from 2005 (scrap that, 2004), you can see someone getting their Belkin 54G to work with Ubuntu using ndiswrapper and a Win98 driver.

Admin from hell
0 0

You guy's are killin' me, Can we stop with the flaming and arguing and wait for the OP to post his hardware config. So we might actually help him?

Admin from hell
0 0

Which really needs to stop. It just makes all of us look bad.

Admin from hell
0 0

Plan on it. No reason especially for senior members to start flaming each other in the forums. If you have a problem take it to PM's.

Admin from hell
0 0

Well if it continues, We'll just have to start locking and deleting threads. It's getting old and embarrassing.

Admin from hell
0 0

I can delete just one post at a time. ;)

Actually 2 clicks, edit > delete this post.

Admin from hell
0 0

Warn or lock. Enough said. Hopefully now the OP will post and we can get him online!

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: In case you didn't fucking know, Fedora IS linux. And diffrent distributions have diffrent drivers packaged with them on the linux "KERNEL". Linux is a KERNEL in key refferred to as an OS in general since it usually is packaged with a DE and shell interface. Moshbat was stating that HIS distro Fedora he uses has never had problems so possibly he might want to try that. Ubuntu and Fedora and EVERY distro of LINux package diffrently in some ways, if you don't know that then your the fucking noob and need to research a little further b4 making posts that make you look like a dumbass.

That's valid and all, but my main point was that whatever wifi driver is running on Moshbat's Fedora-driven laptop, it's also compilable on Ubuntu. Furthermore, especially in the case of something popular/much used, like wireless drivers, binaries for the most used distro's are distributed.[/quote]

I see where your getting at anyway… and mosh, i assume its because of significant hardware compatabilities that cause drivers to not work on some. Really is the only explanation, that and possibly user stupidity.

0 0

I'm going to assume that this hasn't been solved yet. OP - try the following and post snippets if possible:

lspci | grep -i "wireless" (if this returns nothing, simply do "lspci" and give us that) lsusb | grep -i "wireless" (same drill) iwconfig

My Ubuntu-Fu isn't that strong, but I tested this on an old VM and they should all work (assuming they are installed). Post the output and we'll work from there. Also, when I read through this thread, I didn't see any mention of what specific hardware you're on. If you could also provide that, it would be most useful.

~samurai