Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Google OS

0 0

People have been speculating for quite some time that Google is working on an Operating System. Yesterday a post was posted on the official Google blog, introducing the Chrome OS, a lightweight, Open source, Linux-based OS targeted for netbooks. They're totally redesigning the security of the system so that "users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates".

What do you guys think, generally and security-wise?

Links: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS http://www.pcworld.com/article/168028/google_announces_chrome_os.html http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/08/google-chrome-operating-system

Banned
0 0

3sec, (ab)using name recognition to publish already loved distro.

Edit: Fucking, fucking, smileys.

0 0

Pardon my Linuz ignorance, but isn't Gubuntu technically developed by Google?

Banned
0 0

ranma wrote: Pardon my Linuz ignorance, but isn't Gubuntu technically developed by Google?

Link? Gubuntu sounds like an Ubuntu distro packaged with Gnome. Like Kubuntu.

Banned
0 0

ranma wrote: Edit: Meh, and they didn't technically make it bottom up either.

UNIX-BASED.

HELLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

0 0

I don't see what you mean. What I meant was that Goobuntu is not built from scratch but mods Ubuntu.

0 0

Google just builds off of Ubuntu with modifications. Nothing special or ground up.

0 0

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: Google just builds off of Ubuntu with modifications. Nothing special or ground up.

Wow, really? Read what I happened to have written a few hours ago:

Goobuntu is not built from scratch but mods Ubuntu.

Would you lookat that?:whoa:

0 0

all i've seen is the crome browser; or which has been out for a while.

can someone please explain the os, and where in which it could be downloaded?

0 0

Basically the Linux kernel, together with their own userland tools (they dont like GPL, so they did this for Android, im assuming the'yll do the same for the Chrome OS) and then a new Windoing system. this is not a window manager. this is a new implementation of the X11 protocol. This is huge. and then the Chrome browser on top of it.

You'll probably won't be able to run any Linux applications on it, unless their X11 implementation is compatible… you can also assume Google will know about everything you do.

I'll pass.

KvK

0 0

ferasdour wrote: all i've seen is the crome browser; or which has been out for a while.

I believe this should clear some things up for you and everyone else who happens to be confused (and apparently unable to google…)

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/

0 0

KvK wrote: [quote]ferasdour wrote: all i've seen is the crome browser; or which has been out for a while.

I believe this should clear some things up for you and everyone else who happens to be confused (and apparently unable to google…)

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/[/quote]

and yet, everything i've seen about it is unofficial. nothing on google about it. and the fact they said in this "crome os" still found nothing from google about it. think you could halp me find that?

0 0

ferasdour wrote: [quote]KvK wrote: [quote]ferasdour wrote: all i've seen is the crome browser; or which has been out for a while.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/[/quote]

and yet, everything i've seen about it is unofficial. nothing on google about it. and the fact they said in this "crome os" still found nothing from google about it. think you could halp me find that?[/quote]

Here's a post on the official google blog: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

0 0

ranma wrote: [quote]S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote: Google just builds off of Ubuntu with modifications. Nothing special or ground up.

Wow, really? Read what I happened to have written a few hours ago:

Goobuntu is not built from scratch but mods Ubuntu.

Would you lookat that?:whoa:[/quote]

The result of just browsing through. Plus you sound so smart all the time i thought i'd copy you and try myself. ;) . And @folktheory, not being able to run linux apps? That sounds kinda ridiculous, since it obviously won't run WINDOWS apps, unless Google will have there own repository of SPECIAL apps and thats it, but that would definately be a no sell.

0 0

+1 at S1L3NTKn1GhT.

Anyway, as I read from their blog they sorta expect people not to need apps but just use it for the internet. They're designing it mainly for netbooks.

0 0

as i said, it depends on their new windowing system implementation. if its compatible with X.org then you get your GUI linux apps, otherwise you dont. of course the CLI ones will work anyways. as for their windowing system, im guessing itll be an always-fullscreen browser window or something like that.

0 0

Hehe, Folk Theory. I doubt it will be full-screen always. That would be quite weird… as to your other point, I agree Google will now control you (your info) even more.

0 0

ranma wrote: Hehe, Folk Theory. I doubt it will be full-screen always. That would be quite weird… as to your other point, I agree Google will now control you (your info) even more.

Google having my information is not what concerns me at all. Its the fact that the US government can then step in with a court order and demand Google surrender all information they own to them. I don't wanna get into any conspiracy crap right now, but I am just throwing it out there.

0 0

yeah that was a pretty bad move by google. i had a similar experience when they decided all your contacts could see your shared items in google reader…

0 0

<3 you Mosh :)

Well, Google could proclaim itself the new US Govt and have all our info anyway. I'm sure that if you have all the info Google has behind the scenes you could make a pretty impressive description of someone. They can get Facebook info, Blogspot info, Gmail info, search info, ads you click, info from Chrome usage, apparently as of now the Chrome-like OS info, and then there's Google Docs which have info, and Youtube too.

I recommend for Google to make a new tool called Google Stalk BETA so you can get an inside look at anyone.

This doesn't really bother me, nor that the govt can get the info, especially because you yourself could plant info into Google to make yourself look quite impressive if someone were to make such an in-depth person search.

Rant over… I think…

Ninja Extreme
0 0

we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

Wait….. what?

they say their using the linux kernel, but redesigning the security so users dont have to deal with stuff they already dont have to deal with when using the linux kernel?

I think this is, at the most, going to end up google building their own window manager for linux, editing a few things to make it more diverse, and basically creating a new distro. I seriously doubt they are going to be "completely redesigning" anything, much less the security of a kernel that already has great security…..

0 0

They mean web-based security, i.e. drive-by-downloads, users visiting malicious websites, javascript in hidden iframes, XSS, etc…all of which Linux is still very vulnerable, because most browsers used on Linux are multi-platform, so they share the same weaknesses in many cases.

On topic, I used to like Google. Their search is still awesome, but they've just changed completely. They always talking about how they want to take down Microsoft, and how they want to be different…but they're already almost worse. All of their 'free' shit is going to crap, to channel users into using their higher-quality proprietary, 'pay-for' stuff. Why the hell do they need another operating system? Here's why: Android was supposed to be used with netbooks and mobile phones. Well, iPhone, Windows Mobile, and Blackberry are completely stomping its ass. On the other end, hardware companies wouldn't even put Android on a netbook, until recently when Acer decided to use it on a few of their models. There are a few new phones that are supposed to come loaded with Android, but I doubt they will do worth a fuck. So Android was basically a complete failure. I mean come on, its a fucking Java platform for Linux - who didn't see that failing completely? Quite ridiculous, IMO…but I do hate Java with a passion, so maybe that's extreme. I doubt it.

Whether Android gains any minor popularity in phones in the future or not, it failed in the netbook area, no matter what. So I guess Chrome OS is supposed to be targeted at netbooks, which are mainly used for surfing the web. Its supposed to boot up and be surfing the web within seconds, and if it can do that, then it would be sort of cool, I guess. But look at its competitors in the netbook market - Windows CE, Moblin, and in rare cases Android itself. Say what you want about Windows, but CE has been out for forever, and is a damn decent OS for such devices. Hardware OEMs trust it, and use it EVEN STILL use it when it costs a shitload more than others, especially the FOSS alternatives. You want to know the main reason companies are shipping a few models of these devices with the likes of Android and other Linux-based OS's? So Microsoft will drop the price on CE and Mobile, and as soon as that happens, OEM's will drop Android, Chrome OS, and everything else like a bad fucking habit. On top of ALL THAT, guess who makes the most popular, best selling processor for netbooks? Intel. Guess who's behind Moblin OS? Intel. It's a Linux-based OS optimized for Intel Atom processors, for use in netbooks. So how in the hell is ChromeOS/Android going to compete with CE and Moblin? No chance.

I agree with Mosh. Google, stick to the likes of Search, Web Mail, Google Maps/Earth, that kind of shit. You're becoming like the company you set out to destroy, and you're embarrassing yourself in the process. They think they have the smartest fucking engineers and other staff in the world, and everything they create will be golden. They have smart ones, but they should learn their lessons from previous failures.

As far as the conspiracy theory, dude, the U.S. doesn't even need court orders. They may do it a few times for show, but there's not a doubt in my mind that Google is working with them directly. They CAN build profiles on individuals filled with all kinds of information. You think the government isn't in on that shit? Hell, one of the first investors in Facebook was In-Q-Tel - the technology investment arm of the CIA. Wake up, bro. Sorry so long, but my opinion of Google has been shattered lately, and reading this post just made it all come out, lol. Hope I've at least been informative on some issues.

0 0

yo guys this is a "netbook" oriented OS, don't expect games. that is, non-online games.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: But, then we hit the snag of Games… Linux and games often don't go that well together, but that could change… If only they really did do the right thing…

By "they", you surely mean the evil game companies/publishers?

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: Both parties.

Elaborate. Who should do what, exactly? And don't make it vague/general, be specific. Please.

Banned
0 0

MoshBat wrote: I've only just woken up.

Then don't post.

0 0

Isn't ChromeOS supposed to be web based?

Banned
0 0

root_op wrote: Isn't ChromeOS supposed to be web based?

They are going to provide services (applications) via what they will call the "cloud".

It probably means you get to pay more for services you already can get for free.

0 0

When i first heard about the OS, I was exited…until i read what they were doing, then i just forgot it. Most likely it will be near exactly like ubuntu, kubuntu, or another "noob-friendly" distro. Except it will have magical google powers lol. Personally i'm not interested…:D

0 0

TheMonitor wrote: When i first heard about the OS, I was exited…until i read what they were doing, then i just forgot it. Most likely it will be near exactly like ubuntu, kubuntu, or another "noob-friendly" distro. Except it will have magical google powers lol. Personally i'm not interested…:D

I don't really understand why most people around here keep this childish mentality. There is no noob-friendly OS, just easier to use OS. If you prefer writing 5 codes for one operation rather than just one simple line… then go for it!

A good hacker knows how to use any OS for the same purposes, there is nothing like a "1337" OS out there, just OS with different uses.

0 0

chess_rock wrote: [quote]TheMonitor wrote: When i first heard about the OS, I was exited…until i read what they were doing, then i just forgot it. Most likely it will be near exactly like ubuntu, kubuntu, or another "noob-friendly" distro. Except it will have magical google powers lol. Personally i'm not interested…:D

I don't really understand why most people around here keep this childish mentality. There is no noob-friendly OS, just easier to use OS. If you prefer writing 5 codes for one operation rather than just one simple line… then go for it!

A good hacker knows how to use any OS for the same purposes, there is nothing like a "1337" OS out there, just OS with different uses.[/quote]

+1

0 0

I think yall misunderstood my meaning on "noob friendly" (notice the "" marks please!) I simply meant that it makes things easier, and sometimes less steps are required. Sorry, i should have explained a tad more in detail.

0 0

Hey there people, i want to revive this thread since chrome os is out there. I've installed it in my virtual machine and personally, i didn't like the idea behind chrome os. It is just a browser and i don't think it'll be appreciated unless it presents something new.

I find this idea of using clouds not very appropriate, because without internet you're not able to do anything with chrome.

I'd like to know your oppinions about chrome and if you think it'll work and why.

0 0

It's obvious they try to conquer the thinclient desktop.

Hehe, thinclient. I giggled when I said that. It kinda felt LIKE A FUCKING FAILURE.

Noobzor +3
0 0

I, Myself, never really liked the idea behind Cloud Operating Systems. Like you said Chess_rock> I find this idea of using clouds not very appropriate, because without Internet you're not able to do anything with chrome. I just can't help but think that using Operating Systems that work exclusively over the web make it way too easy for marketers and government police to monitor and ultimately control everything you see and do on the web.

Also seems to an easier way to employ a tier system of the Internet that we all hate or at least should disagree with. (Example: Sign up for Internet service, ISP gives you a patch for your web OS or their version of the OS and BAM! You can only access the pages that your service plan hosts)

Or maybe I'm thinking to much in to this…

0 0

Compromise wrote: It's obvious they try to conquer the thinclient desktop.

Hehe, thinclient. I giggled when I said that. It kinda felt LIKE A FUCKING FAILURE. Lofl, couldn't have put it any better. :)

Ninja Extreme
0 0

I think these laptops will develop their own little spot in the market, but I doubt they will become something big due to there web only limits. However, netbooks is becoming an increasing market and all they are used for, really, is the internet access. So, I think google might do pretty well of this in the long run.

0 0

I think that it would be wise to make them more customizable, like for a corporation to use off of their own servers.

0 0

Personally i just think this is googles "test run" of how many people they can get b/c there ssearch/ name is so loved. No hard feelings love google search, but chrome OS is just a fucking failure in itself. Basically making there run in the netbooks world hoping that the name (Google) will be enough to make it hot.