Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Booting Backtrack3/4 live cd from Daemon tools?

0 0

So I really haven't been much into linux because I haven't had the time to learn much of it, but I have toyed with the "Ubuntu" series a little. I recently got the books "Linux for Dummies" and "Secrets of Red Hat Linux" and have read through some of each. I like what I have seen and I always love open source, free software. So I started searching for some good Linux distros, since I know there are hundreds of them out there. After searching sites like "distro watch" and "Remote Exploit" etc. I came up with "Backtrack". I saw some good ratings on it so I decided to download the live cd ISO of both the 3rd distro and the 4th beta release.

But before I go on, I recently installed Kubuntu inside of windows and I like it alot better then Ubuntu. I guess because it uses the KDE kernel or something. I'm not completely sure about it lol. But the whole reason I said this is because I mounted the ISO image of Kubuntu in Daemon tools and it automatically asked me if I wanted to run the live cd and install kubuntu.

Now, I did the same thing with backtrack but all that came up where the initial files on the disk. I know verily nothing about linux so I didn't look around much. I didn't see an "autorun" function anywhere so I was wondering if it was possible at all to run the live cd ISO of Backtrack and then install it with daemon tools.

Thanks in advance!

0 0

I Don't know if it is possible to mount it from deamon tools, but in BT 3 there is no gui installer, so you need to copy the files manually.

You can look around for a vmware workserver, and create a virtual machine. Then you can install Backtrack on that virtual machine.

Banned
0 0

Erh, usually you don't try to mount an OS install inside another OS. Try burning the livecd disk on a cd-rom, insert that in your computer and reboot. Make sure in your BIOS, the boot order has cd above hdd.

You'll now run backtrack from a live disk, have fun :).

0 0

spyware wrote: Erh, usually you don't try to mount an OS install inside another OS. Try burning the livecd disk on a cd-rom, insert that in your computer and reboot. Make sure in your BIOS, the boot order has cd above hdd.

You'll now run backtrack from a live disk, have fun :).

That's also a good solution, running it from the live cd, didnt even think about that.. With BT4 beta there is also a vmware image available, directly for use.

The Manager
0 0

another way is to install virtual machine ;)

You could stay in your current system and run as many OS's from VM you want and not have to worry about harm…it is an image that can easily be replaced :P

Future Emperor of Earth
0 0

Superi0r wrote: That's also a good solution, running it from the live cd, didnt even think about that..

Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure that's the intent behind backtrack…

Though for anyone wondering Backtrack does make a nice internal OS, I have it on my other computer and it runs beautifully.

0 0

I'm always installing it instead of running of the live cd, That's why I didn't say the live cd as option. But yes, running it from the live cd works good.
I'm also running it on my other pc, and it works fine.

ynori7 wrote: [quote]Superi0r wrote: That's also a good solution, running it from the live cd, didnt even think about that..

Are you kidding? I'm pretty sure that's the intent behind backtrack…

Though for anyone wondering Backtrack does make a nice internal OS, I have it on my other computer and it runs beautifully. [/quote]

0 0

I wanted to burn the iso to a cd so I could run the live cd, but the problem with that, is that all I have is Dual Layer DVD's and I burned the image on there but for some reason it doesn't even register the disk when I put it in. I used Ashampoo burning studio and I burned it on the lowest sttings. I think like 2x, but I also tried it on 4x and 6x. None of them worked… I have no CD-R's right now, but I'll go out and get some today.

Another reason why I want to be able to run it through daemon tools is because I'm using a toshiba touch pad portege model, and they don't have any onboard cd-drives, and I don't have the mounting station either. Does anybody know where I could get a good tutorial for making it bootable from a USB stick? (Although I have no idea if my motherboard on this toshiba even has the option to boot from a usb stick <.< It's an older style motherboard.

What I want to do is get a 4gig lexar usb, because I have a program that makes it so Lexar USB's are recognized as actual internal harddrives, so I could use that and boot off of it even if I don't have the option to boot from a usb stick. The problem with that is that I don't have the extra $50 or so it would take to buy a lexar stick <.<

0 0

(Excuse my double post) Also, I was wondering, since my lappy doesn't have a CD drive, what do you think would happen if I mounted the backtrack ISO in daemon tools and then restarted the computer? Do you think it would register and then try to boot from the disk or what?

Banned
0 0

FriedRice wrote: (Excuse my double post) Also, I was wondering, since my lappy doesn't have a CD drive, what do you think would happen if I mounted the backtrack ISO in daemon tools and then restarted the computer? Do you think it would register and then try to boot from the disk or what?

It wouldn't do shit.

Your options are pretty much limited to: portable storage (hdd/usb), network booting or a virtual image.

'ave fun.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]FriedRice wrote: (Excuse my double post) Also, I was wondering, since my lappy doesn't have a CD drive, what do you think would happen if I mounted the backtrack ISO in daemon tools and then restarted the computer? Do you think it would register and then try to boot from the disk or what?

It wouldn't do shit.

Your options are pretty much limited to: portable storage (hdd/usb), network booting or a virtual image.

'ave fun.[/quote]

Yeh, I really am not fond of this lappy at all <.<

VMware is kind of out of the question for lack of processing power and RAM on this computer. plus it would just be a hassle for me.

So could I do a network boot with a crossover cable, or would it have to be through a router?

Also, I have an IDE to usb cable with a power cord that is meant to hook up desktop HDD's to usb slots to use them as external disks. was wondering if I did that, could I boot it off of one of those if I pre-install it on my desktop then take the HDD out and hook it up to my laptop?

Sorry for all the questions too, I've never done this before.

0 0

See, Daemon tools runs FROM the OS, so when you restart the computer will boot into the first OS it sees, which is the OS you have installed on your HD. It will not see Daemon tools because it IS on the OS. So, I think there are some good tuts on "google" for USB booting. Just check your bios to see if you can first though.

PS. There is an "edit" button for your posts. Hope that helped.

PPS. You just got lucky that kubuntu(or whatever it was) had an executable to install when you are loaded into windows.

Have fun with linux.

0 0

Thanks for the help mates. I guess I learned all I needed to here. Guess this thread should be closed soon ;)

Banned
0 0

FriedRice wrote: Guess this thread should be closed soon ;)

"We" don't close threads even if the problem is solved.

0 0

spyware wrote: [quote]FriedRice wrote: Guess this thread should be closed soon ;)

"We" don't close threads even if the problem is solved.[/quote]

I meant locked lol. Cuz I see there are like a million other threads on this forum that are locked. So I thought that it might be standard procedure or something.

Oh well

0 0

FriedRice wrote: I meant locked lol. Cuz I see there are like a million other threads on this forum that are locked. So I thought that it might be standard procedure or something.

Oh well For preventing necroing root_op implemented a script that autolocks any thread over two months old.