Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Ubuntu 8.10 Linux question

0 0

Well today I finally said fuck it and installed Ubuntu over my old XP. I downloaded two books on Ubuntu 8.10 and will start reading them later to day. I was just wondering if I should install any Anti Virus / ad-ware protection or firewalls on here now? I thought I read some were that it is not needed for the linux OS but I want to make sure.

Banned
0 0

Configuring Linux properly is important at this time. Chmodding, user rights and cronjobs. Stuff.

0 0

There is an AVG version for Ubuntu… Anyway u can use f-prot too… Talking about AVG: you can download it from here: http://free.avg.com/download?prd=afl after the installation type in your terminal "sudo avgupdate -o" (you should be admin) or you can use avgupdate -h for help… Than you can scan your pc with "sudo avgscan -smart /home/<your_username> (for the options type "avgscan -h").

Hope it helped, Cyph3rHell.

0 1

Let me get this straight. You want to install an anti-virus for Linux? That's an ironic situation since most people turn to Linux so that they can avoid viruses and avoid using AV products.

But still, I can understand your concern. Most people would recommend you use Clam AV as an AV for Linux.

And yeah, you should go with a firewall, and also set a strong password for your account. That usually suffice when it comes to security.

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

fuser wrote: Let me get this straight. You want to install an anti-virus for Linux? That's an ironic situation since most people turn to Linux so that they can avoid viruses and avoid using AV products.

Still you can catch some 'shit' out there:) and there never is enough protection. Besides user access rights as spy pointed out, look into ipchains and how to configure it!

0 1

Lol, true dude. But at least in Linux most viruses are pretty useless unless you happen to have Wine (but even that won't be much of a bother) or simply run a lot of scripts / applications in root without even checking what it does in the first place.

But seriously, since I used Linux, anti-virus was almost a non-existent thing for me nowadays. I don't even care much about them, since I have a relatively virus-free computing experience in Linux than Windows.

0 0

Well I have set up a basic firewall with Gnome-lokkit and have a strong password. It was a painless process really. I am looking into AVG and Clam AV for my anti-virus and will set one up soon. Thanks for the help you guys.

0 0

no prob, man… we are here to help! ;)