Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux + XP one one HDD

0 0

ive googled around but cant seem to find what i want. I had XP installed and I made a new partition on my HDD for Linux using PartitionMagic v8.0. I then used the PartitionMagic v8.0 "install new OS" function. i followed all the prompts and rebooted my comp, then every time i booted i got an OS failure error. so i booted from my Linux Unbuntu CD and installed Linux. but what it had done was mash my 2 partitions into one again and overridden XP.

What i want is to be able to have Windows XP on one partition and Linux on another partition but one the one Physical HDD and Choose which one i want to boot into when my computer first starts, is this possible?

0 0

Install XP, then use partition magic to create a linux partition (ext3 or reiserfs or something) then reboot with linux in disc drive and install it on the linux partition. You might need need to look in advanced options when it comes to the partitioning stage of the linux installation

0 0

Tbh I can never figure out how people can not manage to do simple tasks such as this but hey it still happens!

So if you want you can pm me and I'll give you my IM and help you out… I never sleep too much so being on the other side of the world shouldn't be too much of a problem ;)

0 0

When you install windows XP from a disk (if not get one and copy key from your sticker) it gives you the option to set up partitions.

It is very simple. Delete all partitions, then allocated around half of it for xp. Let xp finish installing, boot up your ubuntu install, and install to the other half of the drive.

No need to work on resizing partitions with OS's on them already.

0 0

p99 wrote: When you install windows XP from a disk (if not get one and copy key from your sticker) it gives you the option to set up partitions.

It is very simple. Delete all partitions, then allocated around half of it for xp. Let xp finish installing, boot up your ubuntu install, and install to the other half of the drive.

No need to work on resizing partitions with OS's on them already. It's just… this… simple. Googling "dual boot xp" would've told you the same thing.

0 0

Zephyr_Pure wrote: [quote]p99 wrote: When you install windows XP from a disk (if not get one and copy key from your sticker) it gives you the option to set up partitions.

No need to work on resizing partitions with OS's on them already. It's just… this… simple. Googling "dual boot xp" would've told you the same thing.[/quote] I have XP and kubuntu dual boot and this is so easy to do. p99 has told you everything

0 0

p99 wrote: When you install windows XP from a disk (if not get one and copy key from your sticker) it gives you the option to set up partitions.

No need to work on resizing partitions with OS's on them already.

i tried this, but what it was was the guide i was using obviously had a different version of Ubuntu, because on mine when it came to installing it(partition part of ubuntu installation), mine only had use whole disk and manual, when i clicked manual i then had to select a partition and set it as root and select the size of it i would like and also set up another "swap" partition thing. whereas on the guide i was using it had an inbuilt thing on the ubunbtu installation where it automatically detected free space on the HDD and used that.

Problem solved ;)

0 0

Stoney wrote: Use a virtual machine. It's better then a dual boot because you run the virtual machine as it was a program hence you don't have to reboot. And c/p-ing is as simple as drag and drop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine http://www.vmware.com/

he's right. but if you do want a dual-boot, your missing one thing…a boot selector. this is so that when you boot up you have a choice between xp and ubuntu. if you install ubuntu it does it for you so…

0 0

EgoManiak wrote: he's right. but if you do want a dual-boot, your missing one thing…a boot selector. this is so that when you boot up you have a choice between xp and ubuntu. if you install ubuntu it does it for you so… Bootloader. Grub and Lilo are the most popular choices, and the ability to install at least one of the aforementioned bootloaders comes standard with any installable Linux distro.

If you're dualing more than one version of Windows, the boot.ini file performs that function. It's a hidden file in the root (C:\) drive.