Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

backtrack 3 on usb, also using ubuntu

0 0

Trying to get backtrack 3 to work on my usb stick…

So I dled the usb bt3 and partitioned the usb stick to fat32 and then copied boot and bt3 folders to the usb stick. changed the boot order of my comp to usb, and booted up and it booted to ubuntu. Then I ran bootinst.sh in the terminal to get my usb bt3 to be bootable and then booted comp again and it still boots to ubuntu? Got any bt3 users that can help me as to why the usb isn't booting? Thanks.

Perl-6 Wisdom Seeker
0 0

whitecell wrote: Trying to get backtrack 3 to work on my usb stick…

So I dled the usb bt3 and partitioned the usb stick to fat32 and then copied boot and bt3 folders to the usb stick. changed the boot order of my comp to usb, and booted up and it booted to ubuntu. Then I ran bootinst.sh in the terminal to get my usb bt3 to be bootable and then booted comp again and it still boots to ubuntu? Got any bt3 users that can help me as to why the usb isn't booting? Thanks.

Well you have to set up in bios to boot from usb not hd ;)

Edit: My bad, didn't read it properly… No errors when running the bootinst.sh ?

0 0

I did thats what I meant when I said changed the boot order.

0 0

whitecell wrote: Trying to get backtrack 3 to work on my usb stick…

BT3 uses Lilo, as far as I know… and Ubuntu uses Grub. (Bootloaders) Try installing one manually and specifying that the boot manager should go on the hard drive partition, then install the other (installing its bootloader to the MBR of your USB drive) and make an entry in the bootloader to load from the partition mentioned above. Either that, or just skip installing one of the bootloaders and make an entry in the other distro's bootloader for that one.

Read it a couple times… it'll make sense.

0 0

Thanks zeph I saw the liloboot.sh and researched it a little bit, but couldn't find much. I'll work through the steps you gave me. Do you think you could link me for the info you found?

0 0

whitecell wrote: Do you think you could link me for the info you found? It wasn't "info I found"… it was experience. I have Gentoo on my main laptop and BT3 on my eeePC. You'll need to look for "grub menu" and "install BT3 USB" (and maybe even "dual boot USB") on Google, methinks.

0 0

Thanks zeph, just curious why do you like Gentoo?

0 0

whitecell wrote: Thanks zeph, just curious why do you like Gentoo? You build it from scratch (ultimate customization = speed) and Portage > everything. I can emerge life itself. :D

0 0

lol awesome

Banned
0 0

There's stuff in boot/DOS/config (in the Bt3 package) which contains the info you need to put in menu.lst in grub.

Information here.

0 0

thanks spy