Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Running windows and ubuntu

Retired
10 0

ok so first off, i think i spelled that wrong, anyways ok i was just wondering if you could run vista, then basically run ubuntu over it? I want to keep vista but try ubuntu at home. so any help is apperciated.

0 1

if you just wanted to "try" it out, just download VMWare, and install the iso image for you to try it out.

There are tutorials abound for this sort of thing

Another way is by dual-boot, where you partition your hard disk to install ubuntu side-by-side with vista.

And as usual, there are lots of tutorials for this sort of thing.

Retired
10 0

ok cool so how much memory would i need for a dual boot?

0 1

fuser wrote: There are tutorials abound for this sort of thing

1 gb minimum to run Vista, so that's that.

ubuntu, 384MB if you want to run the main graphical live cd, 256 if you install it from an alternate cd (in this case the installer is in text) without any extras (like compiz)

and next time check up on other sites before posting, there are tutorials abound on the internet.

Retired
10 0

ok thank you.

0 0

install ubuntu over windw because you will give up and get back to windw i did that way it is better you can install windw back later;)

0 0

Okay First off you dont have to "Install" Ubuntu if you just wanna try it out, Head over to www.ubuntu.com Dl the Desktop ISO mount the iso on a CD and pop it in…you can just run the OS offa the disk to try it out and it wont harm any windows files or anything. Hope that helps….peace

Banned
0 0

Why even bother installing Windows, and Linux: Windows. Get a real distro if you already have your WYSIWYG OS installed.