Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Unix command error--PLEASE help

root@Alpha.Oddities
0 0

ok so at my school a freind ,who was searching thorugh the open network connections for the student servers, found out how to login into the server under his name and see every students servers. well i took it one step further and found the admin's documents folder. But its priviliged so i was wandering if can run the chmod command through the network connection and make it public and see whats in it the only problem is that i'm not fluent in unix commands so i have no idea what the format of command would be so if someone could help me i would greatly appreciate it

0 0

Well the command would / could be (there are several others) markupchmod 777 *

however to run this command, your going to require the privileges to change the file permissions, which you don't have, so you cant. Be a pretty useless security feature if you could do what your trying to do.

0 0

yeah, as a basic user you wont be able to chmod anything you do not own, and also as a basic user you are not able to chown files (change who owns them) unless you are an admin (root / super user). The best thing you can do from there is just keep scrounging until you find something that is still public, but shouldnt be. Like at our high-school, richohealey found that the schools website was hosted internally and was able to mount shared drive, which was public read write, so come muck up day, there were a billion pop-ups mostly humorous for all to enjoy!

Just keep scrounging