Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Switching from window to linux.. what distro

0 0

im switching from window to linux ive been playing with knoppix 5.1 im tired of it not working and all the problems. so i was wondering what distro to go with… i want a KDE envirment. thats pretty much it ive been playing around with os dev. but compliers generaly come with a linux distro.

EDIT: I must of made it sound like i want the eastiest distro i dont.. i want a stable devlopment type distro with gnu binutils. maybe apache and php and has home user type aplications.

0 0

Well, if you want the easiest distro go with ubuntu. Personally I use SuSE and have had good luck with it.

0 0

Seems like everyone uses ubuntu nowadays, well most that use linux anyways. Personally, my favorite linux distro so far has been mandrake, has many things in it that lots of other linux distros don't have, but a lot of people would probably disagree with me on that.

0 0

Well, I'd go with Ubuntu. I think thats a good stepping stone from Windows to Linux.

0 0

well i looked at all the distros mentioned and a few others and decided to go with lives cd to play with kubuntu 8.04 with kde 4.0 and mandriva lunix, becuase i like the screenshots mostly.. i am sure about their devlopment pagckages. but i can always install the packages i dont have.

0 0

personally I only use linux for a few things, though I have found that I really like the HD install of BT3 which is based off the slackware distro. Installation kinda sucks, but I like a lot a of features in it.

Suse – I havent been a big fan since Novell bought out.

Debian – Is a another I haven't heard mentioned but I think is a good beginning Linux distro.

0 0

stdio wrote: Debian – Is a another I haven't heard mentioned but I think is a good beginning Linux distro.

Debian is good, i agree, but ubuntu is better as a first distro as it is nearly identical apart from alot of things that are easier to do, such as install graphics drivers :p

0 0

I've tried several distros and I keep coming back to Ubuntu because of it's excellent driver support. Gentoo was nice for customizational purposes and debian is what you would do when you graduate from ubuntu (i guess…). Right now, my rig has Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy), Backtrack 3 and Windows XP SP3 (gaming, ftw).

Ubuntu is definitely a distro I would recommend for a first due to it's ease of install and great driver support.