Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

AAC/m4a Playback with Banshee on Fedora 8

0 0

I have an issue with playback of .m4a music in Fedora 8. VLC media player does it no problem, but Banshee's interface and iPod-syncing are exactly what I've been looking for… but, as of now, it will only play my .mp3 files, which account for only about 10% of my music :(

I've been looking for about 3 hours trying to figure this out. I have found references to libfaad2-0, which looks like it is a debian package maybe. Here's what I have installed right now.

faad2-2.0-21.20050131.lvn8

faad2 is supposed to support AAC, yet banshee tells me, when I try to play an .m4a file

""The application 'Banshee' requires teh follwoing plugin: MPEG-4 AAC decoder" and then "There are no plugins available for the requested functionality. Please select teh full plugins list in the View menu."

Google told me that Banshee needs the RealPlayer or Helix codec engines(?), so I downloaded a helix .bin release, yet can't install it.

./hxplay-1.0.9.816-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I have libstdc++ installed though. What can I do? I don't want to convert my 1200 lossy songs to another lossy codec, but I don't want to have to keep using VLC instead of Banshee, either.

0 0

Did as you suggested, but still get this:

[root@localhost Downloads]# ./hxplay-1.0.9.816-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin ./hxplay-1.0.9.816-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm pretty sure once I get ^^^ installed Banshee will use it for AAC decoding… but as long as it won't install… :(

[root@localhost Downloads]# rpm -qa | grep libstdc++ libstdc++-4.1.2-33 libstdc++-4.1.2-33 libstdc++-devel-4.1.2-33

Maybe I need to install libstdc++.so.5 if it's not the same as the above? I'll do that now, if I find it applicable.

Banned
0 0

Are you sure you didn't make a typo? I dunno what else could be causing this problem really.

0 0

I've given you pasted print from stdout, I don't know what else to do now… I have libstdc++ but Helix still won't install… Richo probably knows what to do but as we're on opposite sides of the world, it's usually really late at my time when he gets on MSN. I guess I'll see what he thinks… thanks anyway!

0 0

ThorsDecree wrote: ./hxplay-1.0.9.816-linux-2.2-libc6-gcc32-i586.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Have you tried installing / updating gcc? If it's not that, the only other thing I could think of would be a path issue (i.e., the directory that contains the libstdc++ isn't in the PATH environment variable).

0 0

[thorsdecree@localhost ~]$ printenv | grep PATH MANPATH=:/usr/lib/alliance/man:/usr/lib/alliance/man PATH=/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/lib/alliance/bin:/home/thorsdecree/bin:/usr/lib/alliance/bin WINDOWPATH=7

My GCC version is 4.1.2

I'll add /usr/lib to PATH because that's where libstdc++.so.6 and libstdc++.so.6.0.8 are

I'll update when I've done that; I'm a bit new to nix still and have to google for env. var info :p

But, one thing: the installer for Helix looks for libstdc++.so.5 I have libstdc++.so.6

Could that ^^^ be a problem?

0 0

OK, the helix installer was not accessing libstdc++ due to the PATH var, I change it now though. I'm installing Helix as I type this, and I'll update after that. Thanks, Zephyr.

Helix installed, though I can't access it from the Apps menu: Could Not Launch Menu Item: Failed to execute child process "hxplay" (No such file or directory)

I don't think that matters to the AAC issue though; Banshee still will not play AAC.

0 0

o cool. i didnt know banshee can sync. i never managed to do it with rythmbox or amarok and was doing everything manually. now ill switch to banshee.

btw if anyone syncs with amarok or rythmbox please let me know.

EDIT:ahh nevermind my ipod isnt supported…(4GB NANO)

0 0

same i have the same kind of iPod :(

However, my problem is still here… Helix is working now but did not install the m4a component, and it won't install it with its "check for updates" feature… and I have a feeling I screwed up something when I installed it because the only way to open it is to execute /usr/share/helix/hxplay from a terminal :\

Any more ideas? I'm just gonna have to wait till richo gets online I think… cuz I don't know what to do now, Banshee listed several add-on components (for a price) but none had anything to do with m4a. I KNOW it plays m4a, but there are apparently not many non-Ubuntu tutes online for doing this :(

I'm sure it's as simple as installing an aac library or something… Thanks for all the help, anyway.

0 0

I'll just stick with VLC for now. Don't wana convert everything to OGG or mp3 and can't seem to figure this out (yet).

0 0

wait what? banshee has commercial components??

0 0

I just can't get it to play my .m4a music, which accounts for about 90% of my collection…