Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Slow Computer, which flavour?

0 0

Alright, soon…very soon I shall be the proud owner of an old PC. 256 RAM…64GB HD. I think 756MGZ processor, I'm not too sure though. I have bought the PC because I need a linux box. Under ideal circumstances I would like to run something BSD based or Kubuntu. But I understand something more like Puppy Linux or Xubuntu would be more sensible. Could anyone recommend me a specific *nix system? And moreover, explain BSD to me, and link to a package that has KDE/Gnome with it.

I understand I may be asking something extremely stupid up there…so please correct me if needed. =]

EDIT: Ok guys, I understand Google and the search function exist, but I would like a personal opinion.

I have no experience in using Linux, but I know a fair bit…some cmd's ect.

Banned
0 0

Xubuntu – it's designed for old system like that one

0 0

What compromises does Xubuntu make? And is it possible to use KDE with it?

EDIT: Yikes. Newbie statement there. I know what XFCE is now. A rephrase would be, 'Can I use KDE programs with it?'

0 0

I used Xubuntu on a system with 192 then 320mb pc100 ram and a 10g hdd, with a 400mhz then a 650mhz cpu. It was about as responsive as XP Media Center 2003 on my parents' box with 1GB ram and 2.2ghz athlon.

I'd go with Xubuntu, or Fedora running XFCE window manager. Pretty much any flavor will work; the window manager takes up the most power, so just use XFCE on whichever flavor you like. On my system Here I use Fedora 8 with Gnome, but XFCE also, sometimes.

Xubuntu would be good starting out; then, if you feel comfortable with performance and experience, upgrade to another distro and use XFCE.

0 0

you can use kde and gnome programs but theyre likelier to crash than in their native desktop manager.

0 0

I've got a 400mhz iMac running Ubuntu 7.something, works nicely.. Along with a couple of 400mhz Ultrasparc boxen running either Solaris or Gentoo.

It's sad that people consider 700mhz to be old and slow :(

0 0

lemmingmolester wrote: I've got a 400mhz iMac running Ubuntu 7.something, works nicely.. Along with a couple of 400mhz Ultrasparc boxen running either Solaris or Gentoo.

It's sad that people consider 700mhz to be old and slow :( I think we all know who to blame there. coughVistacough