Welcome to HBH! If you had an account on hellboundhacker.org you will need to reset your password using the Lost Password system before you will be able to login.

Linux from Scratch

Lover of Parkour
0 0

I am new to liux (except knoppix) and Linux From Scratch is where you build a linux distro according to a book so that you learn exactly how linux works. But as an inexperianced user I wanted to know if this is to big a project, or is there an easier way to customize a linux distro (make it to your exact likeing?)

Thx NC

0 0

Well I've done the LFS project before and it doesnt teach you anything except which components are vital for a linux system to function, without really going into much depth about anything.

If you are wanting to learn how Linux works your time would be better spent with an internals book ("Linux Kernel Internals" and "Linux Device Drivers" are the two books that served me best), however, if you are just after customizing Linux you just need to install the packages you want during the installation, and then recompile and/or hack the kernel once installed. You need to know what you're doing before you start messing with the kernel though.

I'd say it can't do any harm to work through the LFS project though, so if you are interested then go for it, at the end of the day, if you don't learn what you want to from it, then you can start on the heavier books ;)

Regards

Lover of Parkour
0 0

wow, i've been asking that all day and that is the straitest answer I've seen all day. not that I'm saying other posts arn't welcome (please if you have something to add, please do) but thank you very much Lucid_Dream! NC

0 0

np mate, happy to be of service :)